What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #134,971 of 136,876

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #134,972 of 136,876
Cambridge audio CXN -> Musician Audio Pegasus -> Stax SRM-007T -> Stax L500 mk2

Really pleasantly surprised at how well the Stax combo is handling golden age hip-hop. The L500 is a surprisingly solid all-arounder

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #134,974 of 136,876

Here are two versions of Bitche Brew - left being the Mobil Fidelity Sound Labs (Mo-Fi) hybrid SACD edition, right being the Japanese Blu-Spec 2 edition, which also includes an extra track - Feio (11:49), which is not on the Mo-Fi edition. In fact, Mo-Fi releases typically do not include extra tracks, instead opting to stick to the original vinyl releases.

Anyway, of the two, I actually prefer the Blu-Spec edition as the sound there is slightly darker, and especially in the bass region. Here, Dave Holland's bass on Bitched Brew, really stands out, whereas on the Mo-Fi edition it's a bit more laid back, almost in the background. Also, on the Mo-Fi edition there's more emphasis on Miles's trumpet, and almost all the other musicians fall the the background, whereas on the Blu-Spec edition, things are more balanced.

In a nutshell comparing these two editions, but also Mo-Fi vs. Japanese Blu-Spec releases in general. the Blu-Spec releases tend to be warmer, livelier, and heavier in sound, especially where bass instruments live. In contrast the Mo-Fo releases tend to be quieter, slightly more detailed, and perhaps a tad brighter. On some recordings they can sound clinical - example Steely Dan's Aja. On other recordings - Miles Davis Kind of Blue, sublime.

But here, between these two releases, the Blu-Spec edition is much more fun and livelier on my system, which consists of my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player connected to my Deanfrips Pontus II 12th-1 DAC via S/PDIF (Coaxial cable). The Pontus is connected to the Denafrips Artemis headphone amp via XLR cables. Headphones from the Artemis are the Sennheiser HD800S headphones. Here the Blu-Spec 2 release really comes alive on my system (this earlier photo was taken with the Mo-Fi release).

BTW, I also have a Japanese Paper Sleeved edition of this album, and it's more an in-between (Mo-FI and Blu-Spec) sound (more neutral).

(for those who collect and care about such things)
BB is one of my alltime favorite albums but I only have different copies of the standard CDs (44/16, ripped to flac, CDs in storage) but thanks for the heads-up. I might take a look at what some of the hi-res stores have on offer these days. Once I get my hands on some hi-res files (just found 24/96 Columbia on hdtracks.com) I might as well run them through Ozone (11, advanced) and roll my own re-mastered version, lol.

Grooving right now ...

711ARGUY7RL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #134,975 of 136,876

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #134,976 of 136,876

Wake of the Flood 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (1973/2023)​

71kt51uLG6L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

50th Anniversary Remaster of the debut album from the band’s own label, GRATEFUL DEAD RECORDS. With the recent passing of founding member Ron “Pigpen” McKernan and temporary exit of drummer, Mickey Hart, this 1973 release introduces a fresh lineup that includes newest members Keith and Donna Godchaux on keys and vocals. Features“Eyes Of The World,” “Stella Blue,” and “Mississippi Half-Step.” Upon the release of Wake Of The Flood on October 15, 1973, the Grateful Dead hit the road for a brief tour starting on October 19 in Oklahoma City and ending on November 1 in Evanston, Illinois, and it is from this final night that the bonus material on the 50thAnniversary Deluxe Edition of Wake Of The Flood is drawn. Book-ended with two songs from the new album (“Weather Report Suite” and “Mississippi Half-Step”), this Deluxe Edition features one of the most creative and inspired jams of the entire tour, with its unique “Morning Dew”>”Playing In The Band”>”Uncle John's Band”>”Playing In The Band” sequence. As with all of the Dead's 50thAnniversary Deluxe Edition releases, this live disc of music perfectly complements the studio album that it accompanies. Disc One features Plangent Processes tape restoration and speed correction 50th Anniversary Remaster by David Glasser, Produced for Release by David Lemieux.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #134,978 of 136,876
JHSTL.jpg
DKEC.jpg
AVTOH.jpg
16/44 Flac > KTE Holo Spring L3 > GOTL > ZMF VC

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #134,979 of 136,876

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #134,980 of 136,876
Screenshot_20240330_151655.jpg
Screenshot_20240330_150929.jpg
Screenshot_20240330_150838.jpg
Screenshot_20240330_151721.jpg

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #134,983 of 136,876
Miles-Davis-Bitches-Brew-x2.jpg
Here are two versions of Bitche Brew - left being the Mobil Fidelity Sound Labs (Mo-Fi) hybrid SACD edition, right being the Japanese Blu-Spec 2 edition, which also includes an extra track - Feio (11:49), which is not on the Mo-Fi edition. In fact, Mo-Fi releases typically do not include extra tracks, instead opting to stick to the original vinyl releases.

Anyway, of the two, I actually prefer the Blu-Spec edition as the sound there is slightly darker, and especially in the bass region. Here, Dave Holland's bass on Bitched Brew, really stands out, whereas on the Mo-Fi edition it's a bit more laid back, almost in the background. Also, on the Mo-Fi edition there's more emphasis on Miles's trumpet, and almost all the other musicians fall the the background, whereas on the Blu-Spec edition, things are more balanced.

In a nutshell comparing these two editions, but also Mo-Fi vs. Japanese Blu-Spec releases in general. the Blu-Spec releases tend to be warmer, livelier, and heavier in sound, especially where bass instruments live. In contrast the Mo-Fo releases tend to be quieter, slightly more detailed, and perhaps a tad brighter. On some recordings they can sound clinical - example Steely Dan's Aja. On other recordings - Miles Davis Kind of Blue, sublime.

But here, between these two releases, the Blu-Spec edition is much more fun and livelier on my system, which consists of my Rotel RCD-1072 CD player connected to my Deanfrips Pontus II 12th-1 DAC via S/PDIF (Coaxial cable). The Pontus is connected to the Denafrips Artemis headphone amp via XLR cables. Headphones from the Artemis are the Sennheiser HD800S headphones. Here the Blu-Spec 2 release really comes alive on my system (this earlier photo was taken with the Mo-Fi release).

Denafrips-System.jpg
BTW, I also have a Japanese Paper Sleeved edition of this album, and it's more an in-between (Mo-FI and Blu-Spec) sound (more neutral).

(for those who collect and care about such things)
Great to see you enjoy your new Denafrips setup!

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #134,985 of 136,876
BB is one of my alltime favorite albums but I only have different copies of the standard CDs (44/16, ripped to flac, CDs in storage) but thanks for the heads-up.
Uh... those are standard 16bit/44k CDs (the SACD has a standard Redbook layer for play on non-SACD players).
I might take a look at what some of the hi-res stores have on offer these days. Once I get my hands on some hi-res files (just found 24/96 Columbia on hdtracks.com) I might as well run them through Ozone (11, advanced) and roll my own re-mastered version, lol.
I have a few Hi-Res albums from HDTracks and others, and personally don't find them to sound any better than 44.1 CDs (unless the mastering of the CD itself is really bad).

I have this normal copy of Hiromi's Move CD (Telarc, 2012)...

Hiromi - Move.jpg

And don't find the hi-res 24bit/192kHz files bought on HDTracks to sound any better...

Hiromi - Move (Hi-Res).jpg

If anything, I find the hi-res files sound too digital - having a bit of harshness around the edges compared to the CD. I find the same with my hi-res copies of Al Di Meola's Friday, and Saturday Night in San Franscisco releases....

Al Di Meola Friday and Saturday Night in San Francisco.jpg

I have the SACD version of Saturday Night, and it sounds far better than the hi-res edition, and this is the Redbook 2-channel layer as I don't have an SACD player.

I find in some files there's this edge harshness that makes them sound too digital for me. it's also why I don't buy them anymore. In fact, now, between the hi-res files, and CD, I'll always grab the CD. But that's me. YMMV :sunglasses:

Anyway, I've always been a physical media collector since the mid 70's, so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back