What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #133,411 of 136,179
Ziggy Motion Picture.jpg

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #133,412 of 136,179
Have you heard any Branford's work with the Grateful Dead? He jammed with them on a number of occasions at live gigs. Even saw them with Ornette Coleman once...
I saw him with the Dead 2 times maybe 3. Also, one time with DeadCo (I believe). He really brought a unique take to the Dead songbook. I (and the people in the audience) really loved it!

Leo

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #133,414 of 136,179

Screenshot_20240218_003850_Roon.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #133,415 of 136,179
Thanks, but you've not told me anything I didn't (don't) know. That's why I research :wink:

And I mentioned the BIfrost 2/64 because it would have replaced the Denafrips DAC (Ares II), NOT the Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, which I still intend to get.

BTW, the Artemis actually floats around $2,200 in U.S Dollars :sunglasses:
Good for you ... I know you get the value of research, and it's important. Real user impressions, or, even better, hearing the gear for yourself at a meet-up is invaluable. Head-Fi is a great resource to find experienced users and also meet-ups close to you.

I am a big fan of the Schiit Audio multi-bit DAC technology. I've used a Gungnir MB DAC for many years and even bought a new one when mine hit the 5-yr warranty mark (it still works). Jason Stoddard had said, early on, that he prefers the Gungnir over the Yggdrasil for headphone listening, because it's a slightly warmer sound. Sadly the Gungnir is now history, because of the fire at the AMD factory ... they can't get the high-end DAC chips anymore. So then, Schiit invented the Bifrost 2/64 that also gets good reviews. I think they're using TI DAC chips now.

Sorry about all the gear talk, folks. Happy listening! :)

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #133,417 of 136,179
ZZ Top - El Loco
IMG_2836.jpeg

ZZ Top - Eliminator
IMG_2837.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #133,418 of 136,179
Good for you ... I know you get the value of research, and it's important. Real user impressions, or, even better, hearing the gear for yourself at a meet-up is invaluable. Head-Fi is a great resource to find experienced users and also meet-ups close to you.

I am a big fan of the Schiit Audio multi-bit DAC technology. I've used a Gungnir MB DAC for many years and even bought a new one when mine hit the 5-yr warranty mark (it still works). Jason Stoddard had said, early on, that he prefers the Gungnir over the Yggdrasil for headphone listening, because it's a slightly warmer sound. Sadly the Gungnir is now history, because of the fire at the AMD factory ... they can't get the high-end DAC chips anymore. So then, Schiit invented the Bifrost 2/64 that also gets good reviews. I think they're using TI DAC chips now.

Sorry about all the gear talk, folks. Happy listening! :)
I'm comfortable in my research and knowing what I'm doing. This isn't my first, second, or 10th rodeo :wink:

Cool you're a Schiit fan, and I know many swear by their products. I'm just one that chooses to go a different direction. Nothing wrong with that.

Movin on :sunglasses:

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #133,424 of 136,179
Nubya Garcia Source (2020) 21bit / 96kHz Files. The title track Source...

Nubia Garcia - Source.jpg

Listening on my Senn HD800S through a Teac UD-503 DAC / headphone amp up sampled to 11.2MHz DSD, this track becomes very bass heavy and thick. With that, I don't know what some are talking about when they say the HD800S doesn't have bass. It has plenty as the track Source demonstrates.

Here the HD800S was hitting those deep bass notes with ease :relaxed:

Anyway, love Nubya Garcia :)

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #133,425 of 136,179
FF51AF1F-A839-46CA-BDD7-6FB0DBE4A38F.jpeg

[Epic: released October, 1971.] This is the second Jeff Beck Group - after that with Rod Stewart, Ronnie Woods, etc. There is some group 'gelling' evident; but this album has much to offer. Musical chops: there! Compositions: interesting! Produced by: Jeff Beck! (...well?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back