What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #130,426 of 137,065
Must be something special if Mo-FI (Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs) gave it their treatment - "Original Master Recording"

I see the group had the hit song "The Weight". I have that song, but it's on the Easy Rider soundtrack and recorded/sung by Smith.

Mo-Fi has given hundreds of records their treatment over the decades. There has been no shortage of controversy over some of their practices; check out some articles or YouTube vids about the big lawsuit. Sometimes MoFi pressings sound better than the originals, sometimes they don't sound very good.

The Band was a very well-known band; they were called that because they were Bob Dylan's band for a number of years in addition to recording their own classic records. There are a number of Dylan and the Band recordings available on streaming or YouTube that are worth checking out....

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #130,427 of 137,065
Mo-Fi has given hundreds of records their treatment over the decades. There has been no shortage of controversy over some of their practices; check out some articles or YouTube vids about the big lawsuit. Sometimes MoFi pressings sound better than the originals, sometimes they don't sound very good.

The Band was a very well-known band; they were called that because they were Bob Dylan's band for a number of years in addition to recording their own classic records. There are a number of Dylan and the Band recordings available on streaming or YouTube that are worth checking out....
I have access to two versions: the MFSL version that I long ago ripped to FLAC on my SSD, and the Qobuz version that's 24/192. I'll be listening to the latter.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #130,428 of 137,065
Ending the day with this.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #130,429 of 137,065
I'm well aware of the Mo-Fi controversy - aka recording practices using "digital" where "vinyl is concerned. The funny thing is all those "upset" people still never said their products sounded bad, in fact many praised them. I know that because I used to post in that thread at Steve Hoffman forums - Mobile Fidelity cutting from digital since 2015? (thread name changed to "Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...")

Yeah, perhaps Mo-Fi wasn't so genuine in describing their recording process; but no one is decrying their products sound bad. I certainly think they sound great and why I continue to buy their "digital" (CDs) products. Were I collecting vinyl, I'd buy those as well. That's me.

Yeah, I'd already read that as edited in a previous post. Anyway, I can't say I ever got into Dylan, so....

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #130,430 of 137,065
ECA.jpg

C2.jpg

FH4.jpg

GW1.jpg

^ "Target" CD ripped to FLAC

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #130,432 of 137,065
I'm well aware of the Mo-Fi controversy - aka recording practices using "digital" where "vinyl is concerned. The funny thing is all those "upset" people still never said their products sounded bad, in fact many praised them. I know that because I used to post in that thread at Steve Hoffman forums - Mobile Fidelity cutting from digital since 2015? (thread name changed to "Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...")

Yeah, perhaps Mo-Fi wasn't so genuine in describing their recording process; but no one is decrying their products sound bad. I certainly think they sound great and why I continue to buy their "digital" (CDs) products. Were I collecting vinyl, I'd buy those as well. That's me.

Yeah, I'd already read that as edited in a previous post. Anyway, I can't say I ever got into Dylan, so....
The reason so many people were upset was not so much that the sound quality wasn't good, it was because they were paying a premium price for something they were led to believe by MoFi were completely analog, and this was not true. It was a false marketing issue. They still press some great stuff, some of it all analog, like the Miles Davis 'Bitch's Brew' and 'Jack Johnson' I recently got; those sound superb.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #130,433 of 137,065

I don't care much for Mr. Dylan's singing voice, but I highly respect his songwriting ... one of the best of our era. Also, we share the same birthplace and he did, after all, turn on The Beatles to weed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back