What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #128,986 of 136,348
2 wonderful artists indeed.....

Took this one of Patti in San Francisco in 1975....
1698196620843.jpeg

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #128,989 of 136,348
Arguably top three of Miles greatest release of all time. Ranking is debatable but Kind of Blue is tops for me :)

Miles Three Greatest.jpg

Over the last couple of days, I've been playing these a lot, and especially In A Silent Way. That one is magical. Listening to it now.
Just got my vinyl MoFi release of 'Jack Johnson' today - I used to have that one back when it came out. I'm not really a jazz fan, but I do like Miles Davis' late 60's, early 70's stuff like that, Bitch's Brew, etc, as they give me more of a Grateful Dead space jam kind of vibe, and McLaughlin's guitar playing on Jack Johnson is wild..... In fact, just about time to load up the bong and give it a listen!

Oct 24, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #128,990 of 136,348
Just got my vinyl MoFi release of 'Jack Johnson' today - I used to have that one back when it came out. I'm not really a jazz fan, but I do like Miles Davis' late 60's, early 70's stuff like that, Bitch's Brew, etc, as they give me more of a Grateful Dead space jam kind of vibe, and McLaughlin's guitar playing on Jack Johnson is wild..... In fact, just about time to load up the bong and give it a listen!
I have the Jack Johnson Japanese Blu-Spec2 CD. They also sound great and a tad louder. Where I have Bitches Brew on Blu-Spec2 and Mo-Fi, I actually find I like the Blu-Spec better as it's a tad louder and the bass notes are more prominent which really brings out Dave Holland's bass on the Bitches Brew track.

Anyway, back to A Tribute To Jack Johnson... yeah, if you're a rocker that's the Miles album you want. And yes, McLaughlin does throw down on that opening track. I like it but not really a favorite. I actually prefer Get Up With It (2-disc CD) which also features a 32-minute tribute to Jack Johnson in the very ethereal He Loved Him Madly track. If you've not heard that, give it a listen if you have the chance. I think you'll also like the album.
Here's to the bong (though those days have passed) :beerchug:

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #128,991 of 136,348
Stanley Clarke I Wanna Play For You (1979) - a mixture of studio and live performances of fusion, jazz, and rock. One of my al time favorite Stanley Clarke albums...

Stanley-Clarke---I-Wanna-Play-For-You.jpg

This was my first Stanley Clarke album. My dorm neighbor used to play this a lot, so I went out and bought a copy. It's been a favorite ever since. The two main tracks of this double album (and CD) are the live performances of School Days, and Quiet Afternoon. There something that's magical of those tracks heard on vinyl that I've never found on CD, including the one above; but it's good enough. BTW, I still have the vinyl, though no turntable to listen.

About the CD, so the original release of this album on CD was compressed to a single CD, with tracks shortened, cut and tracks re-arranged. The sound quality was also horrid, thus I longed for the original complete album on CD. As we see, it's there above; however,.... the only way to get it is via "The Complete Stanley Clarke 1970s Epic Albums Collection", a 6-disk boxset to include in all its full glory the complete unedited I Wanna Play For You CD. And far better sounding than the original CD release.

This and Rocks, Pebbles, and Sand are my favorite Stanley Clarke albums.

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #128,993 of 136,348
I have the Jack Johnson Japanese Blu-Spec2 CD. They also sound great and a tad louder. Where I have Bitches Brew on Blu-Spec2 and Mo-Fi, I actually find I like the Blu-Spec better as it's a tad louder and the bass notes are more prominent which really brings out Dave Holland's bass on the Bitches Brew track.

Anyway, back to A Tribute To Jack Johnson... yeah, if you're a rocker that's the Miles album you want. And yes, McLaughlin does throw down on that opening track. I like it but not really a favorite. I actually prefer Get Up With It (2-disc CD) which also features a 32-minute tribute to Jack Johnson in the very ethereal He Loved Him Madly track. If you've not heard that, give it a listen if you have the chance. I think you'll also like the album.
Here's to the bong (though those days have passed) :beerchug:
I do also have the 5-CD Complete Jack Johnson Sessions and the 4-CD Complete Bitch's Brew Sessions; I need to go back and give a listen to those - been too long... That Jack Johnson LP sounded superb...

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #128,994 of 136,348
I do also have the 5-CD Complete Jack Johnson Sessions and the 4-CD Complete Bitch's Brew Sessions; I need to go back and give a listen to those - been too long... That Jack Johnson LP sounded superb...
I don't have any of Miles's "complete sessions". Would be nice to have but at this juncture I'd be getting them more for collecting than full listening. I barely listen to all the "alternate takes on some of my CDs that have them. That's me.

Anyway, I'll have to go over that Jack Johnson CD as it's not one I normally play. BTW, I also digging a lot of Miles's acoustic stuff. I played 'Round About Midnight last week, and really enjoyed it. Same with My Funny Valentine - Miles Davis in concert. It's a nice break from the heavy stuff when you just want to relax and chill.

BTW, there's one Miles Davis electric album no one really talks about or even mentions and that's Live-Evil. I have it and have had if for years, but I barely play it. Any thoughts on it?

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #128,995 of 136,348

Oct 25, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #128,996 of 136,348
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #128,997 of 136,348

Oct 25, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #128,999 of 136,348
Greatly informative discussion on Miles Davis recordings, folks - encouraging me to seek out these gems:

"Right Off, A Tribute To Jack Johnson"
cover_39642162016_r.jpg

- and,
"The Complete J.J. Sessions" - Very cool, Thanx!
91bYjBcVM5L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Attachments

• cover_39642162016_r.jpg
    cover_39642162016_r.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #129,000 of 136,348
Greatly informative discussion on Miles Davis recordings, folks - encouraging me to seek out these gems:

"Right Off, A Tribute To Jack Johnson"

- and,
"The Complete J.J. Sessions" - Very cool, Thanx!
I've not yet heard the "Jack Johnson" music so thanks for the tip! Check out the list of musicians playing on the Complete Sessions!
Miles went through many stages and was influential every time he tried something new. The beauty of this hobby is learning about musicians like him.

For today some live in-studio and in-concert Snarky Puppy. Michael League is cool,
and I like the way he runs his band ... more like a band of brothers and sisters. These
albums are from 2014, 2016 and 2020.

Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here.png
Live album recorded at Kytopia Studios, Utrecht, Netherlands in 2013. That's
close to Utrecht, where the Metropole Orkest (see next album) hangs out. So
these back-to-back albums were recorded in The Netherlands. They must
have really liked it there. The band on this album consists of 20 musicians.
Cory Henry on the keyboards.

Snarky Puppy - Sylva.png

Snarky Puppy - Live at the Royal Albert Hall.png

Thanks @HumanFly for the introduction. HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back