What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #128,911 of 136,092
Albumism_BruceSpringsteen_Nebraska_MainImage_2x1.jpg

81F3mfg8WnL._SL1500_.jpg

81d8c+IJYbL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpgScarecrow (Deluxe Edition) John Mellencamp 2022

71AHr8ZZfSL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

517df5rbVsL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

XA1LJ3blITU-compressed.jpg

Attachments

• BobSegerAlbum.jpg
    BobSegerAlbum.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #128,912 of 136,092

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #128,913 of 136,092
John Coltrane - Blue Train The Complete Masters.png
Extraordinarily beautiful.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme.png
Mr. Coltrane trying to find his way to redemption after kicking his heroin habit.
A musical journey that, sadly, too many jazz musicians never made. In the end,
with "Psalms," John has found his way home. Wonderful ... and a fun listening
experience.

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue.png
John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley on the saxophones.

Studio albums from 1958, 1965 and 1959.
HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #128,916 of 136,092
I haven't heard A Love Supreme in a long time, and last time I thought it was too "modal." So this is giving it another chance.
Kind of Blue is just beautiful music, to my ears.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #128,917 of 136,092
I haven't heard A Love Supreme in a long time, and last time I thought it was too "modal." So this is giving it another chance.
Kind of Blue is just beautiful music, to my ears.
You do realize Kind of Blue is also Modal, right?

Anyway, I asked the question cause I read where someone compared it to Kind of Blue and thought A Love Supreme was better. I just listened to it on Spotify. Creativity, I can see the comparison, but it doesn't move ahead of Kind of Blue for me. That said, I like it (really like parts 1 & 4) and will be picking up a copy. It'll be the only "Coltrane album" (CD) I have, but one worthy of having. Also, a great conversation piece in comparing both albums :slight_smile:

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #128,918 of 136,092
A Love Supreme is a masterpiece. I'm not sure what too modal even means. But to each their own. Kind of Blues will always be the top of the mountain, but A Love Supreme and a handful of others are on the same level IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #128,919 of 136,092
I think you're being overly critical without understanding what's going on. We can have a conversation about things, but this... "but to each their own" just closes doors.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on both albums, and where you might rate one against the other.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #128,922 of 136,092
A Love Supreme is a masterpiece. I'm not sure what too modal even means. But to each their own. Kind of Blues will always be the top of the mountain, but A Love Supreme and a handful of others are on the same level IMHO.
That's exactly why I'm listening again. Plus, I know that Harry Bosch likes it, and I wanna be like Hieronymus. Don't we all?

ps. "To each their own" is the whole idea with music and with this thread. We're not all supposed to agree. Also, I often post what I will listen to without having heard it before ... OMG! At times, I won't like the music and then I make a comment to that end. It's a learning process ... and, happy listening! :)

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #128,923 of 136,092
I often post what I will listen to without having heard it before ... OMG! At times, I won't like the music and then I make a comment to that end. It's a learning process ... and, happy listening! :)
Well, that's different :astonished:

I don't post anything I've not heard. And most of the stuff I post, I've just heard or am currently listening to. As an example, I just finished this off while typing here...

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (SACD)...
Miles_Davis_InASilentWay_800x.jpg

I love this album. Right up there with Kind Of Blue (acoustic Miles) where In A Silent Way is electric Miles :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #128,924 of 136,092
Yeah, hence the "OMG" posted. We're derailing this thread again; this will be my last comment. This thread is "What Are You Listening to Right Now." It's not a recommendation thread, it's reality. With streaming, especially, it's easy to discover a wealth of new to me music. Many of my listens come from music y'all have posted previously - and thank you.

Edit: My conclusion from today is that I've learnt to appreciate modal jazz like "A Love Supreme" during the last several months, today's listen was a revelation to me. The music speaks, without words ... it's quite amazing that Coltrane found peace at the end of the journey. What it's about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back