What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #125,431 of 136,295
Well, to each their own I guess. I love Signals, but Presto is not my cup of tea tbh.

Agreed about the prime of pop music, especially in the mainstream.

Wow, didn't heard that about Power Windows. Everyone seems to just dig so much the rocking or proggy stuff. I wouldn't say it's overproduced, something modern sounding almost like this would be overproduced to me: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtEdT9go5zB/

Great choices btw

Aww, I love Presto! :slight_smile: Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Presto, Anagram, Red Tide, Available Light...all top Rush songs for me (especially the first 2). Presto is actually in my top 5 listened albums according to my LastFm (although the number of tracks on an album skews that count somewhat: more tracks = more album listens than albums with less tracks you may actually listen to more).

LFM.JPG

Presto was one of my earlier Rush cd buys in the early 90's; it's been a favorite since. 9/10 times I'll put on Presto over any 70's Rush, but I do have a proclivity for catchy 80's pop rock, which Presto is.

FWIW, I agree with much of what is written about Presto here (this is a great overview of all Rush albums, of where they were in their musical development/career and what they were seeking to accomplish on each, in general).

That's just what I've heard Rush fans say about Power Windows, both on forums online and in person (sometimes at concerts). The more casual Rush fan probably has never even heard Power Windows in full (or much anything post '81). I didn't mean that Power Windows was especially overproduced, that's just a common complaint about 80's production as a whole. I happen to prefer that 80's sound in general.

I 'left' Rush after Signals, haven't listened to anything seriously after that. Kind of knew they were entering a new phase, modern Rush if you like, Rush for me will always be '75 - '78 in particular, doing my paper round with a cassette deck in my bag. But thanks to you I listened to some of Clockwork Angels and was impressed.

I would give each album after Signals a serious listen or two, you might be surprised by what you like. Or not. But at least you gave them a chance and I think they are all worth that as Rush always strived to put out their best (that's one reason they don't have any B sides or unreleased tracks: they always said that if they thought a song wasn't working they scrapped it as in threw away the whole thing because they found it embarrassing or too flawed to keep or even finish) and constantly update/adapt their sound and songwriting approach to keep experimenting and trying to improve. (AFAIK, when Rush ended Geddy was still saying he felt like he--they--had the perfect song in him/them but had yet to write it). Their more "rocking" later albums: Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, which you mentioned, you might especially like.

Faves:

P.jpg

Original vinyl press ripped to FLAC

C.jpg

OK. I'm dating myself with this one, but whatever! LOL

Great choice! One of my faves I didn't discover in full until my mid 30's. What a voice! Listening now. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #125,432 of 136,295
Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster

Named after a legendary Southern prostitute who allegedly beheaded and mutilated her clients, Jacksonville's Molly Hatchet melded loud, hard-rock boogie with guitar jam-oriented Southern rock. Formed in 1971, the group's original lineup featured three guitarists -- Dave Hlubek, Steve Holland, and Duane Roland -- plus vocalist Danny Joe Brown, bassist Banner Thomas, and drummer Bruce Crump.

( The fabled Molly of lore is said to have initially become particularly enraged after an all-nighter with a cheapskate client for having been stiffed on the tip ) :astonished:

Interestingly enough, Frank Frazetta’s iconic painting “Dark Kingdom,” featured on Molly Hatchet‘s 1979 album ‘Flirtin’ With Disaster’, recently sold at Heritage Auctions for a record-breaking $6 million. The album itself was a significant milestone for the band, becoming their best-selling LP with over 2 million sales in the United States.
51e1fKZdakL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Y.T. recording sans dynamics and drive per usual, but you get the idea.

================================================================

Fleetwood Mac -
line-up of Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green,
Danny Kirwan, John McVie & Jeremy Spencer.
1970/1997 Remastered

61q2drfzZUL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

================================================================
81BxzDSlJjL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

============================================================================

High Quality colour version of what must be the best ever live version of this powerhouse of a rock vocal by Stevie Nicks - yes, from 1976, it's Fleetwood Mac "Rhiannon".

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #125,433 of 136,295

I loved those 3 Genesis albums as much or more so than some of the ones with Peter Gabriel. With individual credits, we saw what a great songwriter Tony Banks was.

From Winterland in San Francisco, 1978...
1688225151521.jpeg

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #125,434 of 136,295
Aww, I love Presto! :slight_smile: Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Presto, Anagram, Red Tide, Available Light...all top Rush songs for me (especially the first 2). Presto is actually in my top 5 listened albums according to my LastFm (although the number of tracks on an album skews that count somewhat: more tracks = more album listens than albums with less tracks you may actually listen to more).

LFM.JPG

Presto was one of my earlier Rush cd buys in the early 90's; it's been a favorite since. 9/10 times I'll put on Presto over any 70's Rush, but I do have a proclivity for catchy 80's pop rock, which Presto is.

FWIW, I agree with much of what is written about Presto here (this is a great overview of all Rush albums, of where they were in their musical development/career and what they were seeking to accomplish on each, in general).

That's just what I've heard Rush fans say about Power Windows, both on forums online and in person (sometimes at concerts). The more casual Rush fan probably has never even heard Power Windows in full (or much anything post '81). I didn't mean that Power Windows was especially overproduced, that's just a common complaint about 80's production as a whole. I happen to prefer that 80's sound in general.

I would give each album after Signals a serious listen or two, you might be surprised by what you like. Or not. But at least you gave them a chance and I think they are all worth that as Rush always strived to put out their best (that's one reason they don't have any B sides or unreleased tracks: they always said that if they thought a song wasn't working they scrapped it as in threw away the whole thing because they found it embarrassing or too flawed to keep or even finish) and constantly update/adapt their sound and songwriting approach to keep experimenting and trying to improve. (AFAIK, when Rush ended Geddy was still saying he felt like he--they--had the perfect song in him/them but had yet to write it). Their more "rocking" later albums: Counterparts, Test For Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, which you mentioned, you might especially like.

Faves:

P.jpg
Original vinyl press ripped to FLAC

C.jpg

Great choice! One of my faves I didn't discover in full until my mid 30's. What a voice! Listening now.
My take.
Rush evolved and grew up with the times, just like all of us. They were my mentor growing up listening and living by Neal’s lyrics. And their music? Wth? I found the ultimate band for me. If you liked or loved Rush, you were in my circle and a good friend.
Didn’t have a strong family life, a lot to do with me being a pot smoking, coke snorting metal head, rock and roll musician who only thought about me. That was late 70’s. early 80’s. I quit playing music and drugs mid 80’s and fulfilled my need with my ears. I grew up. When you do. You hear music in a different way. To me at least. That’s where Rush really influences me. And that was after Moving Pictures. Every album is excellent especially keeping in mind how they were stretching their songwriting abilities, to match the times, while staying true to their base. The only releases I’m not crazy about is Hold your fire and snakes and arrows. Otherwise everything is great.
Anyone who liked Rush up to moving pictures, give their stuff released after a listen. You will be surprised.

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #125,436 of 136,295

I read years ago in an interview Geddy said he was embarrassed about some of their early material, didn't find out which albums he meant though.

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #125,437 of 136,295
A love or hate disc. Well for those who like or dislike period style performed classical music.
I love this disc. I like my Schumann leaner, more flexible and more rhythmic. Not to say that the orchestra sounds thin, it is not the size of a Baroque orchestra.
The only thing missing in Ticciati's recording is some vibrato. And I don't mean heavy Karajan vibrato, but just a tiny bit to make the adagio's sing a bit nicer.
What I don't miss is the heavy, thick and sluggish sound of a traditional orchestra.
I also like Gardiner (Archiv) and Herreweghe (Harmonia Mundi) in these symphonies. I think Ticciati beats Gardiner in his recording. Gardiner has the tendency to rush. It is almost a tie between Herreweghe and Ticciati. Herreweghe comes of as more 'casual', less studied, Ticciati as more focused and manipulative (in a good way).

1688247269558.png

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #125,439 of 136,295
1688252178424.png

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #125,440 of 136,295
A love or hate disc. Well for those who like or dislike period style performed classical music.
I love this disc. I like my Schumann leaner, more flexible and more rhythmic. Not to say that the orchestra sounds thin, it is not the size of a Baroque orchestra.
The only thing missing in Ticciati's recording is some vibrato. And I don't mean heavy Karajan vibrato, but just a tiny bit to make the adagio's sing a bit nicer.
What I don't miss is the heavy, thick and sluggish sound of a traditional orchestra.
I also like Gardiner (Archiv) and Herreweghe (Harmonia Mundi) in these symphonies. I think Ticciati beats Gardiner in his recording. Gardiner has the tendency to rush. It is almost a tie between Herreweghe and Ticciati. Herreweghe comes of as more 'casual', less studied, Ticciati as more focused and manipulative (in a good way).

1688247269558.png
Need to check that out. Your description reminds me of all the discussions about the best Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". My favourite and not always consensual, is still Fabio Biondi's Opus 111 recording, which perfectly matches your words: "leaner, more flexible and more rhythmic".

Jul 1, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #125,441 of 136,295
1688261336277.png
1688261241212.png

David Bowie - Sound + Vision, and Nothing Has Changed

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #125,443 of 136,295
Need to check that out. Your description reminds me of all the discussions about the best Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". My favourite and not always consensual, is still Fabio Biondi's Opus 111 recording, which perfectly matches your words: "leaner, more flexible and more rhythmic".
Have you listened to this? It's actually quite good.
Screenshot_20230701-191421.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back