What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #123,034 of 136,936
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters.png

Herbie Hancock - Thrust.png
The drumming of Mike Clark on this track earned him international acclaim.

Herbie Hancock - man-child.png
The funkiness shines through.

Studio albums 1973-75. Changing line-ups with superbly talented musicians.
Herbie's brand of fusion is somewhat "groovier" than Chick's and even Joe
Zawinul's due to his influences: Sly Stone, Curtis Mayfield and James Brown.
Layers of jazz, funk, soul and hip-hop collide in spectacular fashion. Enjoy!
HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #123,036 of 136,936
Yeah, Ornette and Gordon are "go to couch" classics. Around here one of my favourite albuns that grants me the same "honour" is:

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Yes, the same jazz musicians use to recognise themselves that (modern) jazz is an acquired taste. Good ol' Pharoah btw.

Anyway, I posted it as post of yesterday (because of their song titles. I mean: Chippie, Hanky-Panky... A bit tawdry maybe? Nevertheless, not even most music lovers seem to appreciate the "all screwed up inside" Ornette smh.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #123,037 of 136,936
I never even heard of the Cardiacs until I heard a track of their's last week on Steven Wilson's 'Intrigue' compilation. I've gone and listened to their first 3 albums from the 80's, and this is some of the most astonishing music I've heard, and all their songs are put together this way. Why stick with one genre and time signature when you can put in 6 or 7 different ones - in each 4-minute song! Could be gimmicky but I think they made it work superbly....

Yes, what can I say... Welcome to the club. If Cardiacs has such a not-so-huge but loyal fanbase is for something.

And that is one of the magics of prog -Gentle Giant also managed so well to put so many ideas in quite a short span of time-.

So, have you checked On Land and in the Sea? That one was the last one with the original keyboardist and is, to my eyes, the best offering they've ever made.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #123,039 of 136,936
Yes, what can I say... Welcome to the club. If Cardiacs has such a not-so-huge but loyal fanbase is for something.

And that is one of the magics of prog -Gentle Giant also managed so well to put so many ideas in quite a short span of time-.

So, have you checked On Land and in the Sea? That one was the last one with the original keyboardist and is, to my eyes, the best offering they've ever made.
Steven Wilson said that for people who 'get' the Cardiacs, they often become their favorite band. I'm not prepared to argue overmuch with Steven from what I've heard. Yes, I've listened to the first 3 so far, and every song on all 3 of them are great. I've got a feeling that I'll like anything that this lot have put out. Certainly some GG influence, but I could sit and go 'that reminds me of such-and-such' and such all day long with them, but what's great is how they stitch together all these disparate elements, into a strong, coherent whole that doesn't sound like anybody else.

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #123,044 of 136,936
Snarky Puppy - Amkeni

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #123,045 of 136,936
IMG_8868.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back