What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 11, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #57,602 of 137,760
  This is one of the most interesting possibly controversial releases of the year-a electronic/house album reinterpreting black metal classics. It is a "queer" album that gives an electronic treatment of a genre I enjoy but have to be honest can be homophobic and xenophobic...very interesting.

From a straight metal guy who also enjoys good electronica this hands down a great electronic album with most unusual subject material...

Okay, that's just strange enough that I have to listen to it.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #57,604 of 137,760
Just discovered Barcelona's Not Quite Yours album this morning from a friend's tweet. They remind me of Keane a lot.

The whole experience is ruined by the random Spotify suggested songs though. Get to listen 3 or 4 tracks then never wants to get back to the album again as i'm typing this.

Searched on iTunes Music a while ago but only their 2007 debut album, Absolutes is available. At least for the local availability.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #57,608 of 137,760
  Okay, that's just strange enough that I have to listen to it.

Very strange. I came across this list on hipster sites like Pitchfork and NPR under 2014 best in metal releases-categorized as "not metal-but worthy of your listening-award of merit" kind of thing.  I like it. But, I like strange electronica.

I generally like genre shape shifting in heavy music that explores subject material beyond the usual cliches. This is not heavy-Blast beats and guitars (with a few exceptions) are swapped for house beats and EDM, but it still has the power and defiance of metal. The audience familiar with black metal and who listen to house/ectronica must be pretty small
bigsmile_face.gif

As someone who sits outside of the typical metal demographic I identify with the idea of the outsider looking in...The video is campy, but he's trying to (I think) push buttons in a genre that can obsessed with being troo and cvlt. A call to arms. That's pretty metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back