What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 2, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #56,014 of 136,256
Nov 2, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #56,017 of 136,256
always got a kick out of my old high school friend john's habit of referring to ELO as 'The Disco Beatles'..
because in a way they were.regardless Jeff Lynne is an incredible songwriter and performer and ELO rock!

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #56,025 of 136,256
I've been binge-watching NPR Music's Tiny Desk concert series recently, and this is by far the biggest pleasant surprise I've come across. Usually when bands with heavy electronic sampling come into the All Songs Considered desk, they perform rather disappointingly and sound stripped down in comparison to their studio efforts (the Tiny Desk performances of CHVRCHES and alt-J are very good examples of this). As much as I like tUnE-yArDs, I've never seen them as a band that I'd expect to sound good live. Boy, was I wrong. Merrill Garbus's layered sampling, coupled with three friends of hers backing on bass and horns, created a set of three songs that sound almost flawlessly true to their studio versions. Her voice, like that of Alabama Shakes's Brittany Howard, is no less powerful live than on the album, and the whole group seems to have a lot of fun performing. Even if it's not your genre, or even an act you've heard the name of before, this is worth a watch.

tUnE-yArDs NPR Tiny Desk Concert, consisting of "You Yes You", "Doorstep", and "My Country", all from the album W H O K I L L

Users who are viewing this thread

Back