What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #55,713 of 137,789

monaca:factory - アフタヌーン・グラビティー (Afternoon GraviTea)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/afternoon-gravitea/id910859922

I saw this when it was coming out but forgot to check it out because of the somewhat forgettable artwork. Now I finally grabbed it for a fiver and it's the familiar monaca:factory quality you've come to expect. I'm liking it!

Wendy Sutter - Glass: Songs and Poems for Solo Cello

Wow, this is most certainly stuff that needs to be heard on my B&Ws instead of trying to listen to it on the tiny Genelec 6010As connected to my computer. Really powerful stuff. "Song II" alone has me entranced. I can't believe how much this music resonates with me.

Gidon Kremer, Wiener Philharmoniker & Christoph von Dohnányi - Glass: Violin Concerto / Schnittke: Concerto Grosso no. 5

This pairing of Glass and Schnittke is so good. I can't count how many times I've listened to the violin concerto.

John Abercrombie Quartet - Wait Till You See Her

Listening to this for the first time. So far sounds very much like "The Third Quartet" – which I liked at first, but got tired of upon repeated listens.

Joy Division - Closer

Can't recall when I last heard this one.

Kalevi Aho - Chamber Symphonies nos 1–3

These were a lot to digest the first time I heard them. Looking forward to enjoying them a lot more the second time around.

Keith Jarrett & Charlie Haden - Jasmine

I've had this for a while but only now listening to for the first time. It's not bad actually; very enjoyable. A sort of a spiritual companion to "The Melody at Night, with You", which I love.

Warmly recommended.

Keith Jarrett - Paris / London: Testament

Over two and a half hours of solo improvisation.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #55,716 of 137,789

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #55,718 of 137,789
"Neon Bible" - Arcade Fire

While the songwriting and musical style wasn't quite as frenetic or creative as it was on Funeral, that awe-inspiring church organ made up for it all. Have you ever heard Peter Gabriel's cover of "My Body Is A Cage"?

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #55,719 of 137,789

"Neon Bible" - Arcade Fire

While the songwriting and musical style wasn't quite as frenetic or creative as it was on Funeral, that awe-inspiring church organ made up for it all. Have you ever heard Peter Gabriel's cover of "My Body Is A Cage"?

I have liked Arcade Fire since the early days following the release of "Funeral" after Davey, a legendary head-fi contributor with impeccable taste, recommended it. Yesterday there was an interesting profile of the band on "CBS Sunday Morning." I saw them on the "Neon Bible" tour at The Tower Theater with Modest Mouse (...great concert). I saw them again in March in Philadelphia. They were good. "Ocean Of Noise" is my favorite song on "Neon Bible." I think that their next album will determine whether they fall into the mainstream alternative rock n' roll rut. I really liked "The Suburbs," and "Reflektor" has its moments, but I am concerned that they are moving in that direction. I am finally ready to admit to myself that U2 is already there and probably has been for sometime. I cannot bring myself to listen to their latest album. That's kinda weird ya know???!!!

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #55,720 of 137,789

Cult of Luna - Salvation

God why did I listen to that last one? I knew I've never enjoyed it, but instead of making me yawn like in the past, it now made my head hurt. God, so obnoxious. And I listened through the whole thing, too. Now I need some passive-aggression to calm my nerves – I need salvation.

I love Salvation. Cult of Luna is absolutely one of my favorite bands! That is a beautiful post metal album for sure.

Listening to:

51RFyk2f1qL.jpg

Bob Dylan and the Band-Basement Tapes, 2009

-So great. If you haven't listened to this because you're a casual Dylan fan and it's not a purely Dylan album, this one should be on your must listen to list. Basically, Dylan and the Band  playing folk, bluegrass, country, blues and rock-roots music for sure.

81LZf8n%2BnnL._SL1500_.jpg

Pig Destroyer-Book Burner, 2012...enter with caution.

41TIPCX4-fL.jpg

61Sm-3OkxoL.jpg

Torche-Harmonicraft 2012-one of those metal albums that non metal fans would enjoy. Pretty "alternativeish"...sort of pop doom/stoner rock melded w/ gungeish alternative rock. I call it good heavy rock music.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #55,721 of 137,789

I love Salvation. Cult of Luna is absolutely one of my favorite bands! That is a beautiful post metal album for sure.

I prefer Neurosis to them but at their strongest Cult of Luna is certainly very enjoyable.

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #55,723 of 137,789
  I prefer Neurosis to them but at their strongest Cult of Luna is certainly very enjoyable.

Neurosis is great, too...Beatles or Stones kind of thing to me
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back