What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jul 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #53,446 of 136,183
^ Yeah. their first two albums are probably their best. Had this lushness about their sound that the later albums seemed to lack. First two were also (if memory serves) better produced, possibly due to Linn working the tapes and knobs.

Anyhooz, I'm currently listening to;

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #53,448 of 136,183
Best sounding Led Zeppelin ever?

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #53,452 of 136,183
A remarkable live album!

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #53,453 of 136,183

Part 1 of The Beatles Anthology series, highlights The Beatles version of "How Do You Do It" they refused to release this as they wanted their own songs released, George Martin felt it would be a #1 hit so The Beatles gifted the song to their friends and frequent stage partners from Liverpool Gerry and The Pacemakers and they made it  #1.  The Beatles version is better.  The Anthology includes "I Wanna Be Your Man" penned by Lennon-McCartney they choose not to release it so they gave it to The Stones and they made it one of their early hits.
Many of these early songs were cut on primitive acetate or tapes so the songs are more important historically than exceptional audio.

The live recordings are interesting but the best live versions are on The BBC recordings.

The parts of this double disc that works for me are The Demos of "No Reply," and "I'll Be Back," and "One After 909."  The later song ended up on the "Let It Be" album.  
At the time these early works were recorded double tracking was not in use and original harmony and vocal tracks were simply a "one take and done."  So the only way to get it right was to get the vocals and instrumentals right, screw up and start over.  The Demos give a level of insight into the process involved in the make up of some of these hits.  The mono versions are well crafted gems, the anthology ends with songs from "Beatles For Sale" this is a must for Beatle fans.

Jul 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #53,454 of 136,183
alt-j-this-is-all-yours.jpg

Alt-J's new single. Like nothing they've done before. Caters to an American audience.

http://m.soundcloud.com/alt-j/left-hand-free

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #53,456 of 136,183
"Tomorrow's Harvest" -Boards of canada
"Reachy Prints" -Plaid

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #53,460 of 136,183

Dunno why but I really like this Album. And surprinsingly it sounds good  on my HD800 rig
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back