What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #52,623 of 136,024

And

May 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #52,624 of 136,024
I'm taking a little stroll down memory lane. Back in 1994, I was living in Dallas, Texas. (Could that have been 20 years ago already?!) Nirvana and grunge were still the talk of the music scene. Then, a local Dallas band that had been playing in the clubs in Dallas broke pretty big. They are the Toadies. I'm not sure how it was in the rest of the U.S., but two of their songs became inescapable in Dallas. Every rock station played them constantly. The songs are "Possum Kingdom" (Possum Kingdom is a lake that is west of Fort Worth) and "Tyler" (which is a town in East Texas.) Most folks in other cities may not have known where those titles came from. I think those two songs got a lot of national airplay, and they were certainly omnipresent in Dallas in 1994. That makes this album which contains those two songs a trip back in time for me:

May 28, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #52,625 of 136,024
Béla Fleck - Double Time

May 28, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #52,627 of 136,024
$_57.JPG

May 28, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #52,628 of 136,024

-Beth Gibbons' (of Portishead) brilliant collaboration with Paul Webb (former Talk Talk) - a low-key, beautiful album which really allows her voice to shine.

May 28, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #52,629 of 136,024
81GKridesjL._SL1425_.jpg

Converge-What we All Leave Behind-2012-great hardcore/metal crossover album. This kills!

51ycLXtgGTL.jpg

Two new jazz purchases. Thanks TJ Elite for the recommendation. Sahara is a beautiful accessible jazz album for sure.

51IHnYt8yNL.jpg

Far East Suite has been on my want list for a long time. I guess I put it off since it seems late in Ellington's career and I didn't recognize any of the songs at first. But, I love this album on a first spin.

51ES1xchjNL.jpg

May 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #52,632 of 136,024

Kyohei Akagawa - As No World Idealized

One of my biggest wishes is for Kyohei Akagawa to one day release a full-length album. The man has an absolutely brilliant mind, full of deep, dark and complex textures, pattern and sounds that are beyond my comprehension. I admire his work a great deal.

May 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #52,633 of 136,024
  I'm taking a little stroll down memory lane. Back in 1994, I was living in Dallas, Texas. (Could that have been 20 years ago already?!) Nirvana and grunge were still the talk of the music scene. Then, a local Dallas band that had been playing in the clubs in Dallas broke pretty big. They are the Toadies. I'm not sure how it was in the rest of the U.S., but two of their songs became inescapable in Dallas. Every rock station played them constantly. The songs are "Possum Kingdom" (Possum Kingdom is a lake that is west of Fort Worth) and "Tyler" (which is a town in East Texas.) Most folks in other cities may not have known where those titles came from. I think those two songs got a lot of national airplay, and they were certainly omnipresent in Dallas in 1994. That makes this album which contains those two songs a trip back in time for me:

Bought that album the week it came out. Played the snot out of it in high school, used my Discman with some technics over-ear headphones I had. I still play it on spotify every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back