What Are You Listening To Right Now?
May 26, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #52,592 of 136,339
  I like a lot it but it still lacks some of the magic of his first album.  
The move to a more electric sound has all kinds of potential.
Two very good albums before 20yo.

I definitely agree with you there on all points. In the first album, it almost seemed like he was more passionate and pure as a songwriter, whereas the songs here seem more dry and unemotional at times, while technically better pieces. I hope his third effort balances the two effectively.

May 27, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #52,593 of 136,339
Metallica's self-titled album 
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #52,595 of 136,339

Mikael Åkerfeldt is a collector of obscure 70s rock and metal albums. He even likes to reference them in the titles of Opeth albums. The album Blackwater Park for example is named after the German progressive rock band of the same name. He i
s also more than superficially influenced by jazz. The title for Heritage was influenced by the well-known Swedish jazz pianist (whom I would wholeheartedly recommend) Jan Johansson and Swedish folk music. In interviews he seems to display a dislike for the fact that many of Opeth's fans only think of them as a death metal band because of their early records. I can't remember the exact wording he used, but he's said that Opeth isn't a death metal band nor a progressive rock band, Opeth is just Opeth. He has always seen Opeth as a band without boundaries.

Edit: Ghost Reveries currently stands as my favorite Opeth album as well. I own it on vinyl which should speak for that fact.

Moving on to this due to all the Opeth talk.

Opeth - Heritage

Edit: I actually think Heritage might have to potential to become my new favorite Opeth album with a few more listens if it continues to grow on me as it has over the past couple of years. I think it is a very substantial body of work as far as Opeth is concerned. Might have to look into acquiring it on vinyl.

Also totally agree here. I probably should not have tried to over-simplify the explanation by way of comparisons to Pink Floyd or Sabbath. Opeth really has their own sound. From the first time a friend at work introduced me to them, I have been impressed (and I remain impressed). From time to time I return that favor and recommend them to someone else at work, which usually follows an explanation of why I have such an elaborate music setup on my desk...

And now, for something different... Haggard. Quite an interesting mixture of genre's...

May 27, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #52,598 of 136,339

Sirupy Jazz but Sometimes I really appreciate it
L3000.gif

May 27, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #52,599 of 136,339

Currently listening to this, 'Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.'

I had a chuckle as I browsed the 'net for the cover art - the Wikipedia entry for the album states that " Trouser Press critic David Sheridan pointed out the group's drifting towards conventionality, writing, "the title track even has a chord progression!" (his emphasis)."

Chord progression. Who would've thought. :)

May 27, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #52,602 of 136,339
BUNGALANGIT - Days of Innocence​
 ​
BUNGALANGIT - How can'I find your song?​
 ​
BUNGALANGIT - 君の見てる空 (Lonely Rendezvous)​
 ​
BUNGALANGIT - 記憶の街 (Dream Labyrinth)​
 ​
BUNGALANGIT - もう帰らない、夏のうた (The Song of Summer Memories)​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back