What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #51,723 of 136,182

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #51,726 of 136,182
^ I'm slightly surprised you've heard of Isao Tomita, as prominent as he is to the early development of electronic music.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #51,727 of 136,182
^ Well, his Moog work on Snowflakes Are Dancing is stuff of legend, so it's not that surprissing in any sense. Tomita doesn't get nearly enough recognition as he deserves, but at the same time he's not exactly an obscure name. A lot of classical music enthusiasts know of him, and most hold him in fairly high regard.

On topic;
Currently listening to the latest Resident Advisor Podcast mix by Dana Ruh.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=412

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #51,728 of 136,182
^ I'm slightly surprised you've heard of Isao Tomita, as prominent as he is to the early development of electronic music.

^ Well, his Moog work on Snowflakes Are Dancing is stuff of legend, so it's not that surprissing in any sense. Tomita doesn't get nearly enough recognition as he deserves, but at the same time he's not exactly an obscure name. A lot of classical music enthusiasts know of him, and most hold him in fairly high regard.

On topic;
Currently listening to the latest Resident Advisor Podcast mix by Dana Ruh.
http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=412

Yea seriously, where's his recognition?? (looking at you Daft Punk)

The greatest hits remaster of Clair De Lune is much more immersive than the original version IMO. Also they used that track on the last Ocean's movie in front of the Belagio waterfall scene.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #51,729 of 136,182

It depends entirely on what kind of circles you hang around. No one's ever said Tomita was an obscure name, but at the same time if we did a poll on how many people have heard of / heard Kraftwerk, and at the same time asked the same thing about Tomita, I would expect the spike for Kraftwerk to be considerably higher - not that they don't deserve the recognition they have. I doubt anyone I know personally has heard of Tomita and even if classical enthusiasts know of Tomita, that does not mean everyone who listens to classical have heard of him. The only reason I know of Porcupine Tree is because of Head-Fi - not that I enjoy their music. They are hardly obscure, but I've never heard them talked about outside Head-Fi more than in passing. I'd been listening to music for years enthusiastically before I came across Rush. I was astounded how big a thing they are relative to the fact I'd never heard of them up to that point. And I'd literally never heard any of their songs before I started listening to them. They are a group that surprisingly many rock fans have never heard of even if they are reasonably avid music fans in the grand scheme of things. What kind of circles one hangs around has a lot to do with which names you are familiar with, regardless of how important those names are. Sadly these things aren't exactly taught in schools.

Edit:
Also, even though I've certainly missed some things, over the maybe two years I've been following this thread, I've seen Tomita mentioned zero times. Hence my slight surprise to see it mentioned even in passing on Head-Fi. Arvo Pärt does pop his head from time to time. Even Steve Reich sometimes, but not Tomita. Pärt and Reich should absolutely even be far from obscure names. Not that they'd win against Madonna or Lady Gaga in a popularity contest.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #51,731 of 136,182
Beatles - Rock and roll music.

Next song
Daft punk - Lose yourself to dance.
Really love the guitar in this song!

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #51,734 of 136,182
Well I'm certainly not listening to Amber Rubarth - if I could find a guitar big enough to hit her in the face with all the way from Ireland I would! Jaysus that album of hers is full of dirt, folk my ass - more like deadfishfolk! 

Ill have Joni any day of the week though ¬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back