What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 5, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #51,346 of 137,758
Adam Bałdych & The Baltic Gang - Imaginary Room​
 ​

​
Enjoying this wonderful display of Baltic musicianship and drinking green tea from a pint. I can think of worse ways to start off my Saturday.​
 ​

​
AVTechNO! - Charm​
 ​
Digging AVTechNO!'s new single, which comes as no surprise.​
 ​

​
Burial - Rival Dealer​
 ​
My local record store happened to have Burial's newest EP on CD so I'm giving it a spin now.​
 ​

​
Edit: Wow, finally something that sounds a bit more fresh from Burial. Really liking this so far based on the first track. Might have to go grab this on vinyl if the rest of the EP is as good.​

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #51,350 of 137,758
Been working my way through this again. Garrick Ohlsson complete Chopin works. There is no definitive collection of Chopin but this is right up there with the very best. I think he understands Chopin more than most. Just the right amount of sentimentality with nothing 'extra' or unneeded exaggerations in his phrasing. He is a gentle Chopin player who clearly loves these works for what they are and so in that respect doesn't feel the need to stamp his personality within. There is plenty of passion and fire when needed - but never over the top. Chopin was not Liszt, infact he was far from him in regards to composing and personality. Chopin hated playing concerts for a start and was much happier improvising in cosy salons with friends. A lot of the same pianists that champion Liszt treat Chopin the same way and I completely disagree with this approach. Chopin very much admired Bach and Mozart's piano writing and you can certainly hear the influence especially on these recordings. Lovely recorded tone throughout.  

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #51,352 of 137,758
  I never did get all the hullabaloo about beck. 

Nothing he's done in awhile is all that compelling, but albums like Odelay are really quite interesting and creative (though even they can sound forced at times).

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #51,355 of 137,758
Johannes Brahms: Sonatas for Cello and Piano-- No. 1 in E minor, Op.38 and No. 2 in F major, Op. 99
Laura Buruiana, cello
Matei Varga, piano

Johannes BrahmsSonata for Violin and Piano No. 1 in G major, Op. 78
Ilia Korol, violin (von Stietencron, 1999)
Natalia Grigorieva, fortepiano (Streicher, 1870)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back