What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #50,657 of 136,347
Anyone want to hear some incredible sax on their cans.....Al Stewart       Song On The Radio    6:26 version ,    starting at about three minute mark  .     Clarence doesn't have anything on whoever is playing this.

Agreed. That's Phil Kenzie. He played on some other Al Stewart tracks as well as Alan Parsones Project.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #50,659 of 136,347

Silvia

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #50,660 of 136,347

Chicago V - 1972

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #50,662 of 136,347
  I was reffering to the music reproduced by entierly mechanical devices - most instruments, particularly acoustic ones, are of course macanical devices.

But I really  enjoyed both performances; being from Europe, I heard (of) them for the very first time. Both are reather poorly recorded, but playing of the Long Beach is WAAAY better. I can only *imagine* what sentimental value must a memory like this have to you. Well done, Sir !

I realize I steered that subject in an entirely different direction.
biggrin.gif
My apologies.
I guess I've been wanting to bring that up for a while, ever since I discovered the link, entirely by accident one day. Sorry, I couldn't resist banging my own drum (lol).

At the time, the Music Dept actually had records pressed for each musician. But as you might imagine, those pressings wore out, and the music was lost to me. There's supposedly a link somewhere on that site, that will let us order CD repro's, but they don't include the whole album. I really must order one this weekend. Yeah, I can't tell you how much that one recording means to me. Basically, that was simultaneously the peak, and the end of my music career. Its a long story best explained at a head-fi meet somewhere, over drinks.

Cool link, thanks for posting! I'm a CSULB alum too
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome, the pleasure is all mine.
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #50,663 of 136,347
  Getting into Bob Dylan now, that's 13.2gb of him in lossless: http://www.bobdylan.com/us/news/bob-dylan-complete-album-collection-vol-1

There's also a really cool/funny interactive video of a bunch of people from tv shows that look like they're lip syncing on his website: http://video.bobdylan.com/desktop.html

I also noticed that "Little Sadie" which I've never heard before, resembled Johnny Cash's "Cocaine Blues" after googling it I discovered that it's apparently some song from 1922 that 40+ artists have done different versions of over all the years.  I'm not sure why I found it so interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Sadie

Does anyone else discover music the way I do?  When I find a song I like I either download the entire album it's off of or if I know I like other songs by the artist I usually just download their discography or as many albums as possible and spend about a month listening to it all and getting rid of the stuff I don't like.  I've done that with The Meters, Nine Inch Nails, Pretty Lights, Bill Withers, Led Zeppelin, The White Stripes (and Jack Whites other bands), Chuck Berry, Massive Attack and now Bob Dylan as well as pretty much all the stuff I listen to.  

Well, I never want to say I have everything by Dylan, but I'm close enough.

To me, there is no contest. Dylan is easily the most influential artist and best songwriter of the last 50 years.

I honestly think his body of work is the most interesting over that time period. That is not to say that it's flawless or always great. Dylan's work, like every artist's work, has had peaks and valleys. It has had brilliance and flaws. However, taking his work as a whole, I would say he's the most important artist of the last 50 years.

I should note that Jimi Hendrix, while he was alive, considered Bob Dylan to be the world's greatest artist. That's a pretty strong endorsement from a pretty well-regarded musician. 
smile.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #50,664 of 136,347

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (1999)

This triple (!) album with 69 (!) songs from 1999 is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Period. It's astounding.

It should be on everyone's list of desert island discs -- as long there's room for three CDs...

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #50,666 of 136,347
Joseph HaydnString Quartet in B flat major, Op. 9 no. 5
The London Haydn Quartet

Ludwig van Beethoven: Violin Sonatas-- Op. 12 no. 1 in D majorno. 2 in A majorno. 3 in E flat majorin G major Op. 96 and in A minor Op. 23
Hiro Kurosaki, violin
Linda Nicholson, fortepiano

Ulrich Alexander KreppeinString Quartet (2009); Phantasiestück I: Windinnres (2008-2010);Phantasiestück II: Nachtschattenwirbel (2008-2010); Phantasiestück III: Abendlied (2008-2010)
Danish String Quartet
Ensemble Modern/Oswald Sallaberger
White Rabbit Ensemble/Eric Hewitt

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #50,668 of 136,347

Well, I never want to say I have everything by Dylan, but I'm close enough.

To me, there is no contest. Dylan is easily the most influential artist and best songwriter of the last 50 years.

I honestly think his body of work is the most interesting over that time period. That is not to say that it's flawless or always great. Dylan's work, like every artist's work, has had peaks and valleys. It has had brilliance and flaws. However, taking his work as a whole, I would say he's the most important artist of the last 50 years.

I should note that Jimi Hendrix, while he was alive, considered Bob Dylan to be the world's greatest artist. That's a pretty strong endorsement from a pretty well-regarded musician. 
smile.gif

I can't disagree with that!

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #50,669 of 136,347

Chicago V - 1972

Nice new Scout!  I have the original.  Wondering what the new platter brings to the table...

A new silver shininess!...
biggrin.gif
  I would love to hear both versions side by side. I like both but this is what is available if you buy now. Great TT for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back