What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #50,255 of 136,207

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #50,258 of 136,207
Well, since we mentioned Metal...

And now, for something completely different....

I know. My tastes in music would probably confuse most people.
In my defense, I am a former musician. So I can appreciate a very, very wide variety of music.
I also enjoy comedy. I just wish I could be funny too.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #50,259 of 136,207
Feb 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #50,262 of 136,207

Portico Quartet - Portico Quartet

The first time I heard this album I liked it a lot. The second time around was slightly less enjoyable, and by the third time I heard the record I was plain bored. It has now been almost a year since I last listened to this album but I must say after getting a couple tracks into it I found myself able to listen to it again. I still think the quartet's first two efforts were much more solid however. I have nothing against these brilliant youths exploring new ground and I in fact strongly encourage such ventures, but whereas these young men had practically mastered what they were doing before, in the new influences they are trying to integrate into their music they still have a lot to learn and even though the new direction is interesting, I feel the execution leaves more to be desired. I doubt the group would abandon this new direction after just one studio album, so hopefully over the past couple years they've honed their sound and skills and the next record which I eagerly anticipate shows them at their strongest yet. If this group was ever to do a truly avant-garde experimentation, that would be guaranteed to blow my mind. I hope all the best to this one of the most promising young jazz groups of our time.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #50,263 of 136,207
@TJ Elite
You should try to get your hands on Portico Quartet - Bowers & Wilkins Music Club: Black & White Sessions. Great album.
Perhaps an amalgamation of their old sound with just hints of this new one.

Got back from work. Started with this,

....and then, the solo album from the singer of the band above,

...and now, a mix compilation from the guy who produced the album above,

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #50,264 of 136,207
  @TJ Elite
You should try to get your hands on Portico Quartet - Bowers & Wilkins Music Club: Black & White Sessions. Great album.

I have it, thanks. That is how I learned of the group. News from Verona pt. 2 is still one of my favorite tracks by the band. I never count is as an "official" album because it was never released on CD or any of the popular digital music distribution platforms like iTunes Store and so forth. I still lack their debut album on CD, which is something I've intended to rectify for a long time now but just haven't gotten around to because I technically already have the music, even if only on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back