What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 1, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #49,726 of 136,262
Feb 1, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #49,728 of 136,262
Feb 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #49,729 of 136,262

IsotekCD.jpg

Freaky Deaky! How many of you have zoned out to an enhancement disc?

I used to have a Teac test tape, that played 30 minutes of 1 kHz sine wave. I think that was Early Trance.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #49,735 of 136,262
Alexander ZemlinskyString Quartet No. 3, Op. 19 (1924)
Escher String Quartet

Joseph HaydnTrio for fortepiano, flute and violoncello in G major, Hob. XV:15
Jacques Ogg, fortepiano
Wilbert Hazelzet, flute
Christiaan Norde, violoncello

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #49,736 of 136,262

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Today I compared the Analogue Productions hybrid SACD and 45rpm 2LP, which were both mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. I've had the LP for a while, but only listened to it for the first time today because I've been saving it for the right day and right time. The SACD I've had for a couple of years now. Going in I honestly expected the SACD to be the winner, because the sceptic in me wants to still believe that I have a bias towards vinyl. Yet as astonishingly good as the SACD is, I have to say that I prefer the vinyl. The SACD does have things going for it, and I could see why someone would prefer it, but after going back and forth a few time the LP is simply more present, laid-back, unrestrained and fluid.

It is probably at least partially my SACD player's fault because I'd possibly say that's it's perhaps a bit top heavy, but the highs on the SACD when compared to the vinyl are just ugh. There's simply way too much of it and it feels like a mess. Despite the vinyl having less emphasis on the high-end, it sounds more detailed to me which is something one might not expect. I thinks a lot of it is due to the more present presentation which vinyl seems to excel at. The SACD seems slightly more distant and veiled in comparison, even if still quite followable for the most part. Still, it sounds like a recording of a performance, not a performance, unlike the vinyl. It's like listening to a story second-hand from someone who only heard it told, not directly from the mouth of the person who originally told the story.

Not owning many Analogue Productions LPs yet, I must say that this particular pressing at least is among some of the most impressive I've heard yet. The surfaces are astonishingly quiet and even during Paul Chambers bass solo on the title track I can't hear even the faintest hint of surface noise on normal listening level. For anyone looking for the ultimate digital issue of this album, I feel very confident in saying the AP hybrid SACD is probably it. I doubt there'll ever be a be a better digital release than it. I could go back and forth between the vinyl and SACD for ages looking for differences because the two sound nothing alike, so my impressions here are only first impression, but I doubt I'll make a complete turnabout and take back everything I've just said. If two of my cousins who are very much into music come visit me next summer, I look very much forward to playing them the AP SACD and LP versions of one of the jazz albums in my collection and hearing their opinions on which they prefer and why. Sound is such a fascinating thing.

Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble - The Eleventh Hour

I've been drawn toward the avant-garde lately. Listening to this baby for the first time. My second Evan Parker record overall, the first one being the 50th Birthday Concert.

Evan Parker’s Electro-Acoustic Ensemble produces one of the most difficult and mystifying masses of sound in modern music. ... The English saxophonist’s experiment is something terrifying, which throws off its moorings entirely. Regular notions of line and rhythms are gone, forcing listeners into an emotional space that most rarely – or only reluctantly – go. The fundamental idea hasn’t changed on The Eleventh Hour. Parker creates a sound field for acoustic instruments and electronics, where free improvisation wrestles with real-time sound processing. That’s the basis of the five-part 60-minute title piece, which is a platform for duos, trios and other groupings. … It’s powerful music, and the embodiment of an acquired taste.
Greg Buium, Downbeat

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #49,737 of 136,262
  Just discovered Streetlight Manifesto's acoustic side, It's AMAZING.

The album is the acoustic version of "The Hand that Thieves" by the same group under the name Toh Kay. Their label disallowed the release of the acoustic version, so it ended up being "leaked".

Compare, the track "If Only For Memories" From the above album, to THIS one, the "normal version" which I find equally impressive.

Good choice! Streetlight Manifesto's drama with Victory Records has kept me from buying the non-acoustic version of the album, but I "found" the acoustic version online after members of the band actively encouraged sharing it for free.

Do you have a favorite Streetlight Manifesto album?

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #49,739 of 136,262

Once upon a time, I owned the vinyl. And wore it out.

I recently sold 188 records - this was one of the vinyl in the pack that i sold off. I sold it to a friend though who lives down the street. So i still get to hear them all the time. I had a lot of really good records in there. Lots of funk and soul - jazz rock fusion. The one i regret the most is the stuff album. A very rare record. You cant even download it. I might ask for it back. I was listeing to it today through some really nice vintage electro stats ¬ 

Here is a pick of the rig ¬ Also listened to a lot of Sam Cooke today which sounded amazing on those. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #49,740 of 136,262
here are more pics ¬

Users who are viewing this thread

Back