What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #49,668 of 136,247

Gun - Gun (Epic/Repertoire, 1968)
For several years I've been researching and seeking out albums that inhabit the gray area between 60s psychedelic rock and 70s prog. Of the 250+ albums I've been sorting through, mainly from 1968-72, UK power trio Gun are one of my absolute favorites. Founded by the Gurvitz brothers, they started as a four pieced called The Knack (!). When their organ player left, they became Gun in 1968. Their first single that year "Race With The Devil" became a big hit, and started off with an orchestral arrangement, but was soon alight with some hard-edged guitar, courtesy of Adrain Gurvitz, a prodigy who was already playing professionally with Screaming Lord Sutch at just 15. The elements of heavy psych, early prog and hard rock foreshadowed the direction of countless bands, including the proto-metal of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. The album ends with the epic 11 minute long "Take Off," packed with raging psychedelic guitar solos and even strings. The amazing Hieronymous Bosch like cover is the very first cover painted by Roger Dean, just out of college. The band released just one more album, Gunsight (1969), which was nearly as great. The brothers went on to form Three Man Army, then teamed up Cream's Ginger Baker in the Baker Gurvitz Army, which lasted three albums until 1976.

http://youtu.be/q5hP0G-7zaM

Jan 30, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #49,669 of 136,247

Don't know how or why but about a month ago I had "Stuck In The Middle With You" stuck in my head (pretty funny saying that) and then I looked it up on youtube, read the top comment on the music video which said something along the lines of "Reservoir Dogs ruined this song, now all the comments are just about that movie" So I watched the movie and checked out some of their other songs.  Not too bad, just like Buffalo Springfield as far as one hit wonders go.

Reservoir Dogs is a great film, I love Tarantino films the dialogue in his films is perfect in a funny type of way.

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #49,670 of 136,247
Skipped back through some of the pages to try and find the link to an album (can't remember the name) mentioned recently with a black night sky background and a group of running horses composed of stars in various colours on it.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Thanks

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #49,671 of 136,247

beerchug.gif

I may not sleep tonight.... my goodness!

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #49,672 of 136,247
Francis Dhomont:  Les Dérives Du Signe

Ralph Vaughan WilliamsFive Tudor Portraits
Jean Rigby, mezzo-soprano
John Shirley-Quirk, baritone
London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus/Richard Hickox

David Philip Hefti (*1975):
Éclairs (2013) – Klangmomente für Ensemble
Moments lucides (2012) – Resonanzen für Orchester
Changements (2011) – Stimmungsbilder für Orchester
Gegenklang (2011) – Konzert für Violoncello und Orchester
Klangbogen (2010) – Musik für Orchester

Ensemble Modern / ORF Radio Symphonieorchester Wien / Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Thomas Grossenbacher (Violoncello) / Deutsche Radio Philharmonie

All works under the direction of David Philip Hefti 

Joseph HaydnTrio for Fortepiano, Flute and Violoncello in F major Hob. XV:16
Jacques Ogg, fortepiano
Wilbert Hazelzet, flute
Christiaan Norde, violoncello

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #49,673 of 136,247

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #49,676 of 136,247

Gun - Gun (Epic/Repertoire, 1968)
For several years I've been researching and seeking out albums that inhabit the gray area between 60s psychedelic rock and 70s prog. Of the 250+ albums I've been sorting through, mainly from 1968-72, UK power trio Gun are one of my absolute favorites. Founded by the Gurvitz brothers, they started as a four pieced called The Knack (!). When their organ player left, they became Gun in 1968. Their first single that year "Race With The Devil" became a big hit, and started off with an orchestral arrangement, but was soon alight with some hard-edged guitar, courtesy of Adrain Gurvitz, a prodigy who was already playing professionally with Screaming Lord Sutch at just 15. The elements of heavy psych, early prog and hard rock foreshadowed the direction of countless bands, including the proto-metal of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. The album ends with the epic 11 minute long "Take Off," packed with raging psychedelic guitar solos and even strings. The amazing Hieronymous Bosch like cover is the very first cover painted by Roger Dean, just out of college. The band released just one more album, Gunsight (1969), which was nearly as great. The brothers went on to form Three Man Army, then teamed up Cream's Ginger Baker in the Baker Gurvitz Army, which lasted three albums until 1976.

http://youtu.be/q5hP0G-7zaM

Thanks for posting i will have to get this. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #49,679 of 136,247

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #49,680 of 136,247

Supersilent - 1-3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersilent

It is my favorite singer's birthday. The best way to honor her is to of course listen to some songs featuring her. Happy birthday Luka!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back