What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #48,841 of 136,068
  A sincere thanks for the compliment. I must come out clear and say that upon my first listen, it indeed was a bit of a task to comprehend it all. It took me a while to comprehend the album, but what assisted me most was actually my recent study in the Abstract and Avante-garde world of art. It sort of reminds me of a Jackson Pollock piece in which my key reference is, as you say, how there is a surprising amount of structure to the album despite it's Free Jazz label. I completely agree with this idea and I glad I am not the only one who recognized this while toe-tapping away through Ascension. It is also through Ascension that I discovered, as a friend of mine had put it, I enjoy the "process" of art a bit more than the "final product" we all end up seeing at the end of the day. This can perhaps be relative to saying I've grown an acute adoration for Art with the most expressive and emotive qualities.

I really wish many could comprehend and grow the same level of adoration for the album that both you, your cousin, and I have come to developed. It is an album that really extends itself on the border of Jazz and artistic expression that despite how unconstrained it is, it indeed does deserve both attention and love.

I can only say amen to what you said.

I almost had purchased this release before I obtained the MoFi hybrid SACD. While I can't comment on this XRCD release, the MoFi pressing is definitely very warm and exotic in sound. The recording is a performance of The Saint-Louis Symphony Orchestra conducted by Walter Susskind. It is a magnificent performance and one I can completely recommend if it were still in print or if you can find it at a great price such as I did. One of my favorite characteristics of this recording is the fact that it was recorded in a cavernous hall and retains a very natural acoustic sound that the hall had. It may not place you inside the Symphony Orchestra, but it does provide a decent audience experience.

I would assume that this upcoming remaster by Bernie Grundman should prove to be interesting. I have no doubts the Los Angeles Philiharmonic Orchestra have done The Planets justice. Perhaps I should consider picking up a copy myself.

The recording location you described sounds very interesting. For a recording of this nature the acoustics can play a surprisingly significant role in how the end "product" comes across and how we perceive it.

I am interested to hear what Bernie Grundman has managed to cut into those grooves. This is my first classical album on vinyl and I am very much intrigued by how well an orchestral piece like The Planets can be conveyed by the vinyl format.

Supersilent - 1-3

Giving this debut triple live studio album by Norwegian Supersilent a first listen. This I bought as a Christmas present for myself based on the recommendation by the brother of my cousin who enjoys Ascension, and who is therefore my cousin as well. This group's Wikipedia article is simply a mouthwatering read for me. My cousin warned me these guy have made some "pretty weird stuff", so I don't expect a smooth ride in their audio domain but I'm always up for a challenge and hopefully will find things to love in their music.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #48,845 of 136,068

City & Colour - Little Hell

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #48,846 of 136,068
Dec 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #48,847 of 136,068
  is that mingus in your profile?

oh our name is mingus ah um - so obviously it is

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #48,848 of 136,068
Dec 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #48,849 of 136,068
  have you heard the album he did with Joni Mitchell? - i always liked it myself. 

Yes I have.  It's a different album.  Not sure I would say I like it...I think it's a little too spacey for me.  It's kind of like John Coltrane's Ascension...I have to be in just the right mood to listen to it because I have to really pay attention to what is going on.

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #48,854 of 136,068
  Is that waters album good? I have not heard any of his solo stuff but I love "the final cut". 

If you love "The Final Cut", my bet is that you'll really like "Amused To Death".  Outstanding lyrically - typical Waters - music with a message.  I'm a big fan of TFC, but I actually prefer ATD more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back