What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #130,594 of 136,614
Img_2023_12_02_13_21_21.jpeg
Img_2023_12_02_13_20_48.jpeg

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #130,595 of 136,614
Mine (excluding classical) would be something like this....

Bibiza - Wiener Schickeria
Grian Chatten - Chaos For The Fly
Roisin Murphy - Hit Parade
Yussef Dayes - Black Classical Music
Slowdive - Everything Is Alive
Blur - Ballad Of Darren
Bipolar Feminin - Ein Fragiles System
Jason Isbell - Weathervanes
Barry Can't Swim - When Will We Land
Nation Of Language - Strange Disciple

Here are some of mine... the last two are singles

Dylan LeBlanc - Coyote
Avalon Emerson - & the Charm
Alexandra Stréliski - Néo-Romance
MEMORIALS - Take The Toys From The Boys
CMAT - Stay For Something
The Endless Coloured Ways: The Songs of Nick Drake
Slowdive - Everything is Alive
Mari Kalkun - Stories of Stonia
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Spitting Off the Edge of the World (Lush Version) (feat. Perfume Genius)
Kety Fusco - THE HARP - Chapter I

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #130,597 of 136,614
Oh wow... I do envy your exposure to the music industry in the hot bed of happenings in San Frisco as well as the birth of the many reproduction gear companies out of Berkley and California in general.
Eventually (IIRC), your career direction was in distributions of recordings to the many smaller record shops also must have been a blast too, with the many better stereo systems to be sampled/experienced, I bet.
Just so very cool, Larry!
( meanwhile I was relatively wasting time hoisting tonnage building Trident Submarines which I hoped and rationalized to be a deterrence to the unspeakable horror of their use)

Elaborate if you would reminisce, perhaps Larry?
I find your experience fascinating, being in that timeline and place(s). :thumbsup:
The photos and stories are even more fascinating from afar.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #130,598 of 136,614
1701552235135.png

Lou Reed - Ecstasy (particularly like the "Like A Possum" track)
1701552352781.png

The KLF - Justified & Ancient
1701552518695.png

The Meteors - The Best Of The Meteors

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #130,600 of 136,614
Oh wow... I do envy your exposure to the music industry in the hot bed of happenings in San Frisco as well as the birth of the many reproduction gear companies out of Berkley and California in general.
Eventually (IIRC), your career direction was in distributions of recordings to the many smaller record shops also must have been a blast too, with the many better stereo systems to be sampled/experienced, I bet.
Just so very cool, Larry!
( meanwhile I was relatively wasting time hoisting tonnage building Trident Submarines which I hoped and rationalized to be a deterrence to the unspeakable horror of their use)

Elaborate if you would reminisce, perhaps Larry?
I find your experience fascinating, being in that timeline and place(s). :thumbsup:
How kind of you to say that, Finbad!
Honestly, when I was in the record business earning the princely sum of $7.50/hour (around 1983), high-end audio was pretty far from my mind. I had a NAD amp and preamp and a pair of Infinity tower speakers and a Dual 1019 turntable I bought used earlier in the 70's. I walked into a high-end store once just to check out the gear and how it looked, and I saw speaker cables for $500/meter, and I couldn't believe it - THAT totally blew my mind!! :beyersmile:

So no, I hadn't heard much serious gear back then. But my system was still better than that of most of my friends.

We sold to smaller record shops in the Western US but never really saw them except for some of the local ones.

Many, many tales to tell of those Wild West days and ensuing musical mayhem, and I'm happy to tell 'em, my friend! Ask away, and/or I can put a little more commentary on my snapshots, as some of those have some stories that go with them.

Here is one. Back around 1979, I was living in the Mission District of San Francisco in a flat with a couple of other folks. One of them was from Boulder, Colorado, and he had a friend from there who wanted to move to SF. So his friend Eric from Boulder came out and crashed at our place for about a month. A very nice guy who was a walking musical encyclopedia; he was into so much cool stuff... He decided he wanted to be in a band as a singer, as he didn't play any instruments. He found a gig and renamed himself Jello Biafra (he first thought of calling himself 'Occupant').

I took this at the very first Dead Kennedys gig, when they were the middle band of a bill at our punk palace in San Francisco, the Mabuhay Gardens.... He spent more time moshing in the pit than singing on stage!
1701554127148.jpeg

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #130,601 of 136,614
The photos and stories are even more fascinating from afar.
Yeah for sure, I can imagine!
Of course, where would one begin telling what I asked of the man - So, like you, we'll let Larry open up in due course as he has been. And I suppose there's good reason not to be to open on retained public forums and that too is understandable.
And too of course, I romanticize what becomes just another job while perhaps lugging record albums, taking & fulfilling orders keeping to daily schedules - but still, the characters ya would meet and the "stories" ... :sunglasses:

While not wanting to waste a post without music I'm listening to now, here's this "Funky" artist and crew: Marcus Miller(2015).
Does a hellacious cover "Poppa was a rolling stone" Lots of horns his Fender electric bass, B-3 organ and electric piano etc.
81mKxbKjZvL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

*Edit: Takes me a while to peck out a simi legible edited post, it seems in the mean time you composed another post, Larry.

That is another great story to tell us about with photo ...LOL imagine...
Oh yeah, I too remember struggling to get by in the economic down turn of the mid 70's- early 80's due to the aftermath of the war and inflation. But the characters we were :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thumbsup: and the shared entertainments...lol

* That's a great idea, photo's as you have been and sharing commentary as you just did in fact, my friend.
- Happy listening ~

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #130,603 of 136,614
Yeah for sure, I can imagine!
Of course, where would one begin telling what I asked of the man - So, like you, we'll let Larry open up in due course as he has been. And I suppose there's good reason not to be to open on retained public forums and that too is understandable.
And too of course, I romanticize what becomes just another job while perhaps lugging record albums, taking & fulfilling orders keeping to daily schedules - but still, the characters ya would meet and the "stories" ... :sunglasses:

While not wanting to waste a post without music I'm listening to now, here's this "Funky" artist and crew: Marcus Miller(2015).
Does a hellacious cover "Poppa was a rolling stone" Lots of horns his Fender electric bass, B-3 organ and electric piano etc.
81mKxbKjZvL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Edit: Takes me a while to peck out a simi legible edited post, it seems in the mean time you composed another post, Larry.

That is another great story to tell us about with photo ...LOL imagine...
Oh yeah, I too remember struggling to get by in the economic down turn of the mid 70's- early 80's due to the aftermath of the war and inflation. But the characters we were :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :thumbsup: and the shared entertainments...lol
... and this wasn't even because of an economic downturn - in the 70's, everything was a lot cheaper, including salaries! You could go to Winterland and see 3 great bands for $4.50. Everybody was bellyaching when they raised the ticket price to $6.00 for a summer Day on the Green at Oakland Stadium, where there would be 5 or 6 bands on a bill that started in the afternoon and went into the night, and the headliners for these were some of the biggest bands in the world.
And I'm totally good with being open on public forums; I just write a whole lot and I wanted to spare ya'll long-winded monotribes! :darthsmile:

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #130,605 of 136,614

Users who are viewing this thread

Back