What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #130,546 of 136,617
Marc is one of my all-time favorite singers..... Soft Cell's debut was brilliant, and the OG vinyl I've got sounds terrific, especially all the cool sounds on 'Sex Dwarf'....

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #130,548 of 136,617
Some of my favorite jazz albums.
Img_2023_12_01_10_31_08.jpeg
Img_2023_12_01_10_32_37.jpeg

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #130,549 of 136,617
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy.png

McCoy Tyner - Expansions.png

That's Ron Carter on the bowed cello.

McCoy Tyner - Sahara.png
On this track, Mr. Tyner plays the koto, it's the national instrument of Japan.

McCoy Tyner - Echos of a Friend.png
This song was composed by John Coltrane.

Studio albums as leader, after his 5-yr stint with John Coltrane, recorded from
1967 to 1972.
Edit: This was my first time seriously listening to McCoy Tyner. His compositions
are complex and impressive, his playing, to me, is a cross between Thelonious
Monk and Oscar Peterson. For jazz pianists, I still favor Chick Corea, Bill Evans,
Herbie Hancock, and Bud Powell. Sometimes Keith Jarrett, but only when I'm in
the right mood. YMMV as all music choices are personal preference. HD800 = :)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #130,550 of 136,617
This is the thread to post what you've been listening to today. To keep things organized, please do not spam the thread with repeated posts - let's keep it to a few posts in a day at most. Enjoy everyone!

[mod update: adjustment to frequency requirements]
I just got a DVD player in to finally rip an old Woodstock ‘94 CD set to FLAC. I must have bought this album 3x in my lifetime, the first time on cassette in the mid-90’s. Primus “Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers” and NIN “Happiness in Slavery” are two of the highlights, as well as Melissa Etheridge “I’m the Only One.”

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #130,551 of 136,617
The Complete "Is" Sessions were recorded during Chick Corea's tenure with Miles Davis, along with bassist Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. Recorded over three days in New York, 1968 Blue Note Records.
Blue Note has assembled not only the two released recordings on this double-CD package, but the alternate takes as well, to offer a complex, very remarkable portrait of the chemistry that occurred when that trio engaged Woody Shaw, Bennie Maupin, Hubert Laws, and additional drummer Horace Arnold. Corea plays both acoustic and electric piano on these sides and, taking his cue form his work with Miles, he pushes his own sense of melodic invention with the right hand to the breaking point. However, not a jazz-rock session in any way, this material, for as "outside" as it was trying to get, was formalist in conception if not intent -- these players swung hard even if they didn't intend to.

Listen to "The Brain," with its front line engagement by Maupin and Corea using counter point inside a blues fragment to open up a lane for hard swinging rhythm is a case in point. Elsewhere, on "This," and its longer alternate take, angular Rhodes solos are stunningly reflected back into a polyrhythmic mass by bassist Holland. Corea's runs are countered in rhythm and harmony.
"Song of the Wind," a ballad in inception, becomes a kind of mid-tempo piece that uses mode and formal composition to create a meandering wind through nearly pastoral soundscapes thanks to Corea's glissandi and Hubert Laws' beautiful single-tone playing. In sum, this is out jazz that any jazz fan can appreciate; it not only respects the modern tradition, but uses it to further its own aims.
41O8iZO+wrL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
That was intense :thumbsup:
I gave this a listen on Spotify based on your review. It was ok, but overall, not my cup of tea.

That said, like anything I listen to I can always find something I like on an album, and that that was the case here with Sundance, as well as its alternate two take. Really like the way to group comes together on that tune, and especially Hubert Laws. Also like the alternate take of Song of the Wind. Some nice tunes, but not enough for me to buy.

That said, thanks for posting, it's always good to hear different things :thumbsup:

Dec 1, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #130,553 of 136,617
McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy.png
McCoy Tyner - Expansions.png
McCoy Tyner - Sahara.png
McCoy Tyner - Echos of a Friend.png
Studio albums as leader, after his 5-yr stint with John Coltrane, recorded from
1967 to 1972. HD800 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :)
I have McCoy Tyner's Looking Out (1982), with Phyllis Hyman on two tracks - Love Surrounds Us Everywhere, and In Search of My Heart. I bought that one as I was (am) a Phyllis Hyman fan. What a beautiful voice. Love that album, mainly because of her. But also, his track Senor Carlos.

51qZMKkUvmL._SL1200_.jpg

Have it on both vinyl and CD. The only other McCoy Tyner I have is 13th House, but only on vinyl.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #130,556 of 136,617
For all my audio nervosa explorations in sound, gear and synergy, there are times I am reminded it is all those moments of pure magic, the mainline connections that strike into the very depth of your soul. Given his sad passing this week, these have been on constant rotation, pretty much in this order. Timeless, ragged, raging, beautiful and human...R.I.P. Shane (and Sinéad earlier this year).
1000018267.jpg

1000018268.jpg

1000018269.jpg

1000018270.jpg

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #130,557 of 136,617
Received my CD / Blu Ray Audio, set, yesterday. It’s been on repeat ever since. Amazing album ! So great to finally have the physical discs.
Are both the light and dark versions available on your CD/Blu-Ray?

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #130,558 of 136,617
Received my CD / Blu Ray Audio, set, yesterday. It’s been on repeat ever since. Amazing album ! So great to finally have the physical discs.
Peter from a few years earlier....:relaxed:
1701464368894.jpeg

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #130,560 of 136,617
MFSB Love Is The Message (1973), their second album. Soul, Jazz, Disco. There were two big hits of this album - Love Is The Message (still a hit to this day), and TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia). However, my favorite track on this album by far is their jazzy rendition of Diana Ross's Touch Me In The Morning. That's the track that gets played when I put on this album...

MFSB.jpg

And I can definitively say, I have all their albums on CD (and vinyl)....
MFSB Collection.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back