4. Susie (Dramas)3:25
5. Rocket Man 4:41
6. Salvation3:58
7. Slave4:22
8. Amy4:03
9. Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters5:00
10. Hercules5:35
11. Slave2:53

As reviewed by Steve Vrana (Aurora, NE), (with which I agree, fully).

This is my favorite Elton John album.
It was also his first U.S. No. 1 album, and the first time he used his touring band of Nigel Olsson (drums), Dee Murray (guitar) and Davey Johnstone (bass) as a recording unit.

Along with lyricist Bernie Taupin, Elton presents a joyous--even fun--collection of songs. Even when the subject is suicide ("I Think I'm Going To Kill Myslef"), the music is upbeat. You have to love a song with a tap dance solo! [Favorite line: "If you want to save my life/Brigitte Bardot gotta come and see me every night."]

Of course there were the hits: "Honky Cat" and "Rocket Man." But each song bristles with energy, like "Hercules," "Amy" and "Susie (Dramas)." Of course, there are a handful of ballads, like "Salvation" and "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" just to mix things up a bit.

In addition, Elton tried some new things on this album. Electric violinist Jean-Luc Ponty is brought on board for a couple tracks ("Mellow" and "Amy"). And in addition to playing guitar, Davey Johnstone plays banjo on "Rocket Man" as well as mandolin on "Mona Lisa and Mad Hatters." And there are no drums on this latter track. The only bonus track is an absurdly fast version of "Slave."

While Elton would go on to have even bigger hits and better selling albums, this is the one I return to time and again. ESSENTIAL...

/ Very, very well recorded and remastered to CD, as is the case with each in Johns catalouge.

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #11,144 of 136,593
Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom. Cliffs of Dover just sounds awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back