What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #64,833 of 136,663
Well, this time of year, I find myself streaming stuff I missed listening during the year. After my usual metal haunts and a newfound love of classical music, I've been listening to some indie releases. Enjoying all of these which I'll probably pick up...

91YaA-C8c7L._SX425_.jpg

Deerhunter above ...enjoyed their last garage style album, this one is much mellower, but a grower I believe

61H9zrtTOFL.jpg

51m1w0TqqmL._SX425_.jpg

Although not really my usual fare, I really like Julia Holter.

515NkXZ4obL._SX425_.jpg

Love me some good punk rock n roll. This is a great first listen IMO

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #64,835 of 136,663

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #64,836 of 136,663

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #64,837 of 136,663

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #64,839 of 136,663

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #64,840 of 136,663

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #64,841 of 136,663
Gary Peacock & Marc Copland - Insight
A seasoned bass player and pianist doing their thing. Found by accident while I was looking for something else. Don't you love streaming?
Keywords: Jazz, Piano, Bass

Autechre - Tri Repetae
This is why I like threads like this (oh, and why you should add a small description). These guys are amazing.
Keywords: Electronic noise

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #64,842 of 136,663

Autechre - Exai - Just listened to the whole thing through from start to finish.  Not a big listener to IDM, but this album hits the spot.  I wasn't sure to start with, this being my first album of theirs, but it has grown on me over the last two years to the point where I want to listen to more.  I am thinking of going for the EP box to track their development, and maybe download the FLACs that they just put out of about 8 live performances for not much money.

Also been Spotifying these over the last few days, and plan on making some purchases due to the fact that most of them have really impressed me:
Girl Band - Holding Hands with Jamie
Arca - Mutant
Swans - White Lights from the Mouth of Infinity/Love of Life
Grimes - Art Angels

Interesting selection! Exai is a hell of a way into Autechre - most people would start with something "easy" like Amber or Incunabula
biggrin.gif
 Tracking their development is well worth doing - not many other electronic artists show such cohesive development IMO, with a progression in sound from one album to the next. Probably my favourite producers in electronic music, all said and done. Very little of their work I don't dig (maybe Untilted, although even that has its moments).

Heard some of the new stuff you mentioned. I didn't really get into Arca's album tbh, and Grimes was disappointing off the back of Visions - seems like she's sold out and gone ultra poppy to me.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #64,845 of 136,663

Interesting selection! Exai is a hell of a way into Autechre - most people would start with something "easy" like Amber or Incunabula
biggrin.gif
 Tracking their development is well worth doing - not many other electronic artists show such cohesive development IMO, with a progression in sound from one album to the next. Probably my favourite producers in electronic music, all said and done. Very little of their work I don't dig (maybe Untilted, although even that has its moments).

Heard some of the new stuff you mentioned. I didn't really get into Arca's album tbh, and Grimes was disappointing off the back of Visions - seems like she's sold out and gone ultra poppy to me.

I'm pretty much fearless when it comes to music, and I'll try anything.  I've found many of my all time favourite artists and albums by simply throwing caution to the wind and getting stuck in.  Same with literature.

I like the Arca record, but I'm coming to it as a fan of Bjork's Vulnicura rather than a strictly electronic music perspective, and I don't have a great breadth of experience with this kind of thing, so maybe I appreciate it from that perspective.

As for the new Grimes, you are totally right, but I disagree with you as well.  It is seriously poppy, but there is a lot more beneath the surface.  Visions is one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years, but this has better songs, a wider palette, and I think it's the opposite of selling out.  I read it as single minded pursuit of whatever she wants to do, and there's a big jump, same as the jump between Halafaxa and Visions.  I urge you to give it more time and a serious listen.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back