Dec 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #56,913 of 137,830

In 27 Pieces: the Hilary Hahn Encores

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #56,916 of 137,830

Steely Dan Gaucho 24/96 via Audirvana+

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #56,917 of 137,830

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #56,918 of 137,830

Miktek - Elsewhere
https://ultimae.bandcamp.com/album/elsewhere

I often listen to this album to help me fall asleep.

AVTechNO! - 瞳にうつる景色は変わるもの (Hitomi ni utsuru keshiki wa kawarumono)

Yay, new single by AVTechNO! It sounds perfect. This certainly made my day.

Albert Ayler Trio - Spiritual Unity

Been a while since I last listened to this one. As much of an essential classic this is regarded as, I've never quite liked it as much as many other free jazz albums.

Anne-Sophie Mutter - Bach: Violin Concertos / Gubaidulina: In tempus praesens

Not my favorite recording of the Bach concertos BWV 1041 and 1042, but a couple of the movements I quite like – for example the third movement of the BWV 1041 I've always quite liked because it's a hair faster than some other renditions I've heard. Some movements like the opening movement of BWV 1042 sound horrendous to me on the other hand. As big game as she is in the classical world, Anne-Sophie Mutter has never managed to make a notable impression on me one way or the other. She isn't clinically cold as Julia Fischer, but leaves me quite neutral nonetheless. Ironically the Julia Fischer recording of the Bach concertos is probably still my go-to recording for these pieces. Out of the countless recordings of hers that I have it is probably the only one I enjoy. That, and maybe the Mozart violin concertos are listenable.

As much as I have an affinity for the Bach concertos, the Gubaidulina piece on here is easily the highlight here. It is magical.

Julia Fischer, Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo & Yakov Kreizberg - Poème

Forgot about this. This one isn't bad actually. It reminds me of Janine Jansen's Beau Soir album. The warmer tone of these pieces helps to counter Fischer's tendency to sound cold and detached to me, but her calculated and restrained approach is still present. The sound is lush and warm with great projection and presence thanks to this being a Decca recording. I think Decca might be the only classical recording label I can think of who makes recordings that sound good to my ear. Of course not everything they make is a hit either.

Hideous album cover though.

Edit: Hmm, I recall the rendition of The Lark Ascending on here being okay, but now listening to it again after a while I can't say I like Fischer's performance on it at all. The tempo is also too fast for me overall. Well, the other pieces are still quite good especially since they are less overplayed than a lot of the other classical repertoire.

Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
https://kayodot.bandcamp.com/album/choirs-of-the-eye

If you have never heard this record, you should make it your high priority to do so. This is absolutely essential listening for any true fan of music.

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Only my second time listening to this album.

Lavinia Meijer - Visions

This is one fine disc by one fine lady.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #56,919 of 137,830

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #56,924 of 137,830
  I always like to think the guy on the cover is involved in a long-distance staring match with the guy from 'Argus' by Wishbone Ash.

I see what you did there. Nice.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #56,925 of 137,830
I've been streaming some of NPR's all music considered best list....I listen to a lot of rock, metal, indie and older jazz, but need to listen to more classical. Right now checking out:

71yrDyJEvpL._SL1021_.jpg

I do like beautiful piano passages particularly in jazz (BIll Evans, Brad Mehldau)-this is a lovely sounding record IMO

71j3gTH0S-L._SL1500_.jpg

and easy listening but not classical:

new Irish contemporary super group of sorts: The Gloaming

A1L4Q23QWKL._SL1500_.jpg

Ruins by Grouper (vocal and piano ambient-love this)

81ZSd03HlEL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back