What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #54,121 of 136,011
W. A. MozartPiano Concerto No. 11 in F major, K. 413; Piano Concerto No. 9 in E-flat major, K. 271
Malcolm Bilson, fortepiano
English Baroque Soloists/John Eliot Gardiner

Felix MendelssohnString Quartet No. 2 in A minor, Op. 13
Eroica Quartet

Johannes BrahmsVariations on an original theme in D major, Op. 21 no. 1
Adam Laloum, piano

Johannes BrahmsString Quartet No. 3 in B-flat major, Op. 67
Takács Quartet

Vincent D'IndyPiano Trio in G major, Op. 98
Jacques Prat, violin
Emmanual Gaugues, viola
Kun Woo Paik, piano

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #54,123 of 136,011

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #54,124 of 136,011
2002_-_TalkatifLimited_edition.jpg

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra - Talkatif

Billie Holiday - Fine & Mellow

MPG+live+at+london+palladium.jpg

Marvin Gaye - Live At The London Palladium

huge_avatar

Tom Browne - Love Approach

3_weekly_5_4.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

1979%20Bad%20Bad%20Boy%20(Lp).jpg

Theo Vaness - Bad Bad Boy

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #54,125 of 136,011
I am listening to Tift Merritt.

Quote:
That sounds like a much better time to live in the islands than when I grew up there. We had no one. If anyone did show up, it sold out immediately. Always on Oahu, too. They had Britney Spears play a free show when I was In high school. Who else...Janet Jackson? I think Pantera played there once. Bands have started playing there again recently, but it was pretty bad there for awhile.

Back then most tours ended in Hawaii so it would have been their last concert on that tour. So most of the time they would play for free the next day--usually a Sunday. I worked for a Records Hawaii and my boss was the promoter like Hawaii's Bill Graham so I always would get free tickets too. The concerts I saw weren't many because I just couldn't go to every one of them. Some nights I had to work. It was a cool job being 16 years old and working in a record store and going to concerts. My dad used to pick me up after work because I lived in Pearl City and the concerts were at the HIC (Honolulu International Center). What is it called now? It looked like a flying saucer. Is it still there?

Over a period of 3 years I saw:
Lee Michaels
The Rolling Stones
Blind Faith
Blue Cheer without Leigh Stephens
Blue Cheer with Randy Holden
Spirit
Jefferson Airplane
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Jimi Hendrix (about 5 times) one evening he didn't like the sound system so he didn't even perform. He did invite everyone back for a free concert the next day. It was at the Shell.
Big Brother and the Holding Company (without Janis)
Janis Joplin with the Full Tilt Boogie Band
Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin (2x. Once when their first LP came out and the second time was when Black Dog was just about to be released. They opened with Black Dog. And get this, the opening act was Yvonne Elliman)
The Doors (opened with: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown)
Santana
Carlos Santana with Buddy Miles and Neil Schon
Linda Ronstadt and the Stoned Poneys
Peter, Paul, and Mary (okay, I was in grade school then. My parents took me to see them.)
Black Sabbath
Guess Who
Grand Funk Railroad

That's all I can remember. Very foggy memory. I think my hearing suffered the most with Blue Cheer and Grand Funk Railroad. Led Zeppelin had the best sound across the sound spectrum. Fortunately I had my hearing tested and only my left ear is slightly below normal in the upper frequencies.

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #54,126 of 136,011

Back then most tours ended in Hawaii so it would have been their last concert on that tour. So most of the time they would play for free the next day--usually a Sunday. I worked for a Records Hawaii and my boss was the promoter like Hawaii's Bill Graham so I always would get free tickets too. The concerts I saw weren't many because I just couldn't go to every one of them. Some nights I had to work. It was a cool job being 16 years old and working in a record store and going to concerts. My dad used to pick me up after work because I lived in Pearl City and the concerts were at the HIC (Honolulu International Center). What is it called now? It looked like a flying saucer. Is it still there?

Lee Michaels
The Rolling Stones
Blind Faith
Spirit
Jefferson Airplane
Jimi Hendrix (about 5 times) one evening he didn't like the sound system so he didn't even perform. He did invite everyone back for a free concert the next day. It was at the Shell.
Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin (2x. Once when their first LP came out and the second time was when Black Dog was just about to be released. They opened with Black Dog. And get this, the opening act was Yvonne Elliman)
Santana
Peter, Paul, and Mary (okay, I was in grade school then. My parents took me to see them.)
Black Sabbath
Guess Who
Grand Funk Railroad

That's all I can remember. Very foggy memory. I think my hearing suffered the most with Blue Cheer and Grand Funk Railroad. Led Zeppelin had the best sound across the sound spectrum. Fortunately I had my hearing tested and only my left ear is slightly below normal in the upper frequencies.

SUPER JELLY

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #54,130 of 136,011

nostraightanswer (Kenji-B) - Hard-Disk Hide and Seek
https://vocallective.bandcamp.com/album/hard-disk-hide-and-seek

Haven't bought this one yet but streaming it on Bandcamp and sounds good.

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #54,134 of 136,011
  I am listening to Tift Merritt.

Quote:
That sounds like a much better time to live in the islands than when I grew up there. We had no one. If anyone did show up, it sold out immediately. Always on Oahu, too. They had Britney Spears play a free show when I was In high school. Who else...Janet Jackson? I think Pantera played there once. Bands have started playing there again recently, but it was pretty bad there for awhile.

Lee Michaels
The Rolling Stones
Blind Faith
Spirit
Jefferson Airplane
Jethro Tull
Santana
Black Sabbath
Guess Who
Grand Funk Railroad

Man Clayton, that list contains legendary names.  What great souvenirs.  Reading the name Arthur Brown made me smile ("I am the Lord of hellfire & I bring you …. Fire")
The bands/names I highlighted in Bold/Italics I grew up listening to at night (my older brother had the albums & we shared the same bedroom) while most of the kids I knew back then listened to what we used to call "Bubble Gum Music".  We listened to Cream, the Animals, the Doors, Hendrix, the Stones, CCR and a few more I forget.  My brother saw Cream & Hendrix in Ottawa in the late sixties.

Amongst a few bands I had the privilege to see :

Genesis w/Peter Gabriel,
Jethro Tull,
Frank Zappa,
Steely Dan (in Chicago w/my son),
Paul McCartney (July 2013 in Ottawa)

beerchug.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #54,135 of 136,011
  Man Clayton, that list contains legendary names.  What great souvenirs.  Reading the name Arthur Brown made me smile ("I am the Lord of hellfire & I bring you …. Fire")
The bands/names I highlighted in Bold/Italics I grew up listening to at night (my older brother had the albums & we shared the same bedroom) while most of the kids I knew back then listened to what we used to call "Bubble Gum Music".  We listened to Cream, the Animals, the Doors, Hendrix, the Stones, CCR and a few more I forget.  My brother saw Cream & Hendrix in Ottawa in the late sixties.

Amongst a few bands I had the privilege to see :

Genesis w/Peter Gabriel,
Jethro Tull,
Frank Zappa,
Steely Dan (in Chicago w/my son),
Paul McCartney (July 2013 in Ottawa)

beerchug.gif

Now I envy both of you! Which Zappa band was it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back