What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #51,166 of 136,132

Randy, we could trade collections and not know we did it!

Here's to quality 
beerchug.gif

and good taste!  
beerchug.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #51,167 of 136,132

I own every version of these albums, original vinyl, CD, original masters vinyl of the 1st two albums plus "Shake It Up," the HDTracks 24/96 downloads are significantly better than the CD's and at a level I would consider at or above what my current TT setup can equal.  I could not equal these digital transfers.  Outstanding!  The Mutt Lange produced "Heartbeat City" is so nuanced and musical, a real pleasure with higher end HP's.

Spacious, clean, and so portable.  HDTracks usually will release each individual album, since I would have bought them all anyway I pulled the trigger now, plus they are discounted in bulk.  "Door To Door" the last album is easy to pick on and overproduced but still has 1/2 an album of great cuts.

I wonder how Candy-O sounds on 180 Grams vinyl versus HDTracks @ 24/96kHz? I have the CD and 180 Grams LP. The question becomes should I take my lunch money over to HDTracks and...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #51,169 of 136,132
Did you know that Dynamic Range Day was yesterday? I was too tired to watch this stream live but I'm now watching the YouTube VoD below.

Edit:
Ian has mentioned this before, but since he brought it up in the webcast, here's a link to a page where you can compare Gangnam Style in its original 16-bit version and an 8-bit down-converted version of it. If you are a fan of blind tests, feel free to tell how big you thought the differences were.

http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php

Enjoying some Escenda right now. Here's track that shows what kind of music Lindsey Stirling could be making if she wasn't going after what has most mass appeal.

My musician cousin who's currently painstakingly editing his vocals for his first solo album recently iMessaged me saying "Stirling reeeaally needs some new musical influences or a writer. She can't keep doing the same song over and over again." (And, yes, we actually message each other in English despite both being Finns.) I told him I couldn't agree with him more. The gal has some of the laziest dubstep production on her tracks I've ever heard, and I've heard some really bad dubstep (really good dubstep too, although that's a bit rare). I tried watching some of the young lady's videos in December and they offer absolutely nothing for me. Playing a pretty, sure-to-appeal-to-the-average-listener melody on a fiddle and a couple of cheap thrills to make it sound fancy over the most generic backing track I can think of just isn't enough to meet what I seek from music. I did however say in her defence that I believe she is doing the kind of music she wants to based on what little I've heard about her in my mostly isolated bubble when it comes to things that are popular. I still believe that is probably true, but my cousin did inform me that she was actually doing some kind of weird hip hop trance thing with violin back in America's Got Talent where I thought her popularity was from (apparently she didn't gain popularity until she turned to the whole YouTube thing). My cousin does admire her for her work ethic, but we both really hope she'd dwell a bit deeper into music and see what she can create.

Now that I've potentially offended a few people by simply stating my personal opinion and thoughts (Shock! People have opinions.), I'd like to mention that Escenda likes to experiment, and they never really make the same track twice. This is the only song from them where I've heard violin and hence why it is titled so aptly. Group's Mary Marchenko has a fantastic voice, which you unfortunately don't get to hear on this track. Again, they like to make different things and not all tracks feature vocals even if one of the members has a really unique voice.

Schodt - Darkness | Light
https://open.spotify.com/album/5tc1VU499oERv3tEypvcEK

Giving Schodt's artists album a third listen. Shame that the mastering is so gosh darn loud. I'm also a bit disappointed with the album musically being a big fan of Schodt's more progressive breaks oriented sound and many of his great remixes. This album sounds too safe and commercial compared to what I was expecting. It has been slowly growing on me though. Despite my complaints it's still a decent effort for fans of really light progressive house with a hint of progressive breaks flavor. I won't argue that "April" isn't a good single, though.

Alcest - Écailles de Lune
https://open.spotify.com/album/5oQCJg8xx7JOYRSa9E1gV9

Gorgeous sound. Have I said how much I love vinyl?

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #51,170 of 136,132

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (1968)

As good as it gets....

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #51,172 of 136,132

I own every version of these albums, original vinyl, CD, original masters vinyl of the 1st two albums plus "Shake It Up," the HDTracks 24/96 downloads are significantly better than the CD's and at a level I would consider at or above what my current TT setup can equal.  I could not equal these digital transfers.  Outstanding!  The Mutt Lange produced "Heartbeat City" is so nuanced and musical, a real pleasure with higher end HP's.

Spacious, clean, and so portable.  HDTracks usually will release each individual album, since I would have bought them all anyway I pulled the trigger now, plus they are discounted in bulk.  "Door To Door" the last album is easy to pick on and overproduced but still has 1/2 an album of great cuts.

I wonder how Candy-O sounds on 180 Grams vinyl versus HDTracks @ 24/96kHz? I have the CD and 180 Grams LP. The question becomes should I take my lunch money over to HDTracks and...
rolleyes.gif

Of course you should...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back