What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #46,966 of 136,416
I'm getting really, really into Akron/Family lately. I'd heard some of their stuff briefly before, but I've going into their catalog this past week and have utterly fallen in love. At this point, I'd say that they're one of the better bands in the world right now. Their sound is not really definable, but it's generally called experimental folk rock. From song to song everything can change, so I'd recommend a full album listen if you wish to find out what they really sound like. Here's a selection of their albums I listened to today:

Love Is Simple

Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free

Akron/Family II: The Cosmic Birth and Journey of Shinju TNT

Oct 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #46,967 of 136,416
This has been been on my "wish list" for a long time. Ah, yes.....

71jxpq0Lk5L._SL1080_.jpg

I know there is a lot of Floyd remastering debate...it sounds good to me-2011

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #46,969 of 136,416
  Currently enjoying My Little Black Angel by(somewhat controversial) Death in June

As far as I'm aware, Rose Clouds Of Holocaust is still banned from sale in Germany.
I'm a big fan of the music of Douglas P, and as far as I can see he's a pretty stand up guy.
The problem is that some of the artists he's associating himself with are a bit more suspect. Boyd Rice for example. A really interesting artist, but there's little doubt that some of his political views aren't all that healthy.
The same with Tony Wakeford of Sol Invictus and Michael Moynihan of Blood Axis. That neofolk/martial industrial scene just seems to really speak to the sensibilities of brownshirts.

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #46,977 of 136,416

Monomer - Quite Operational
https://monomer.bandcamp.com/album/quite-operational

"Quite Operational is the result of a fascination with the sound and aesthetic of 80s electronic music and science fiction, combined with a healthy love of chipmusic and old video game sounds. While not written with a tracker or on a Gameboy, it was a personal exercise in setting my own limitations and sound palette and seeing where I could go; what imagery I could evoke and where I could take the listener. Above all else, it was an attempt to write something exciting that sounds distinctly my own. It was a freaking blast to create, and I hope you all enjoy taking this trip as much as I did writing it. Cheers!"

Arvo Pärt - Alina

"Spiegel im Spiegel" is one of the most perfect things I know.

Nekochan - Bloodyful
https://fuselab.bandcamp.com/album/bloodyful

So wonderful. I'm totally blown away by the quality of this release.

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #46,978 of 136,416

Keystone Companions: The Complete 1973

Fantasy Recordings [Box Set][2012]

We already know a lot of the music, but the extras and better sound are worth it October 3, 2012
By Kirk McElhearn
1973 was a pivotal year for Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead. Pigpen died in March, and Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders had settled into a regular routine of playing at the Keystone Korner in San Francisco. While they had been playing together since December, 1970, after Jerry stopped playing with the New Riders of the Purple Sage, he and Saunders became frequent companions, meeting up to play totally different types of music from what Jerry played with the Dead, or with the New Riders. In 1973 Garcia was also playing in the short-lived Old and In the Way, a bluegrass band, but he and Saunders still managed to play a few dozen concerts together, and would eventually play 266 gigs.

But in 1973, Jerry and Merl were hot. While the Dead were performing some of their best concerts, Jerry's side projects showed him in a different light, playing blues, standards, Bob Dylan songs and much more, in a jazzier, more R&B tone. Together with other band members John Kahn and Bill Vitt, this recording features two complete shows, July 10 and 11, 1973, and shows the range of Jerry's non-Grateful Dead material.

With the exception of a couple of Dylan songs that the Dead would cover twenty years later, not one song in these two shows was in the Dead's repertoire. They range from standards like My Funny Valentine to R&B songs such as I Second that Emotion and How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You), by way of a cover of Jimmy Cliff's The Harder They Come. (The film of the same name, which broke reggae out of its island, was released in 1972.)

Listening to Jerry Garcia play guitar and sing these songs shows how versatile he was. Remember, he had just come off a period playing country with the New Riders of the Purple Sage; he was in a bluegrass band, Old and In the Way; and the Grateful Dead was exploring traditionally-influenced songs and psychedelic jams. Yet Jerry's other side was this: playing standards and R&B, in his own band.

The music in this set is fairly well known. About 3/4 of it was previously released on three different albums, dating back to 1988. But now, all the music recorded on these two nights is available in this 4-disc set, in the order in which the songs were played. The band was hot, the sound is great, and there's nearly four hours of wonderful music here, at a very nice price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back