What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Oct 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #46,382 of 136,313
  Such beautiful artwork. Seeing as you bought it on vinyl, and being aware of how you approach vinyl, I assume this record really is something. I will definitely check it out when I can.

I'm currently listening to Miles Davis' Round About Midnight via the Mobile Fidelity LP pressing:

It was indeed the artwork that first caught my attention. The music itself is just as wonderful. I'm very happy to have discovered this gem.

That is definitely one of my favorite Miles Davis albums. I should get the MoFi record myself at some point.

Currently listening to:

Baltic Sound - Montreal
https://soundcloud.com/nuevadigital/sets/nd087-ilya-malyuev-pres-baltic

Dayon - Deep Feeling EP
https://soundcloud.com/nuevadigital/sets/nd103-dayon-deep-feeling-ep

Hazuki - Romantic
https://soundcloud.com/liquid-tones/sets/lqt028-hazuki-romantic-out

Hells Kitchen - The End of Us Remixes
https://soundcloud.com/auramusic/sets/hells-kitchen-the-end-of-us-1

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #46,384 of 136,313

It was indeed the artwork that first caught my attention. The music itself is just as wonderful. I'm very happy to have discovered this gem.

That is definitely one of my favorite Miles Davis albums. I should get the MoFi record myself at some point.

It really is interesting.. The music itself is very nice as well. : - )

The MoFi pressing is in Mono, so do be aware of that if you aren't. I'm planning on obtaining their pressing of Milestones and Kind of Blue (which Elusive Disc already has available for pre-order). This pressing of Round About Midnight is very warm and just a joy to listen to. I can't compare it to much, but I prefer much more to the Sony/Legacy CD I own of it. So I do recommend it!

So here are some artists I discovered recently:

Kacey Johansing - Grand Ghosts
http://kaceyjohansing.bandcamp.com/

Plini - Sweet Nothings
http://plini.bandcamp.com/album/sweet-nothings

I am really enjoying these two artists. I just ordered Grand Ghosts on Vinyl and have been listening to digital copy all night and day! Plini is an artist that just surprised me. Such talent and such clean technicalities. His music really is something I found very appealing, especially since I myself am a guitarist. Plus the artwork by Alex Pryle is just psychedelic and surreal that I couldn't ignore it.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #46,385 of 136,313
51zJyUc%2Br6L.jpg

1. Audio CD (July 2, 1996)
  2. Original Release Date: 1973
  3. Number of Discs: 2

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com

An excellent and frequently astonishing album, Quadrophenia is both more ambitious and less accessible than Tommy, the first and most well known rock opera. At its simplest level, Quadrophenia is a coming-of-age story with an awesome soundtrack. The album features some of the Who's finest material, in songs like the enraged "Real Me," the cynical "Punk Meets the Godfather," the wistful "5:15" and "Sea and Sand," and the powerful "Love, Reign O'er Me." The songwriting (courtesy of Pete Townshend) is top-notch, as is the production (the Who actually managed to use synthesizers in an original manner, something few rock bands can aspire to). The mix of powerful songwriting and skillful composition makes this one of the Who's finest moments. --Genevieve Williams  

Product Description

The Who's other rock opera, completely remixed and remastered under the supervision of Pete Townshend.

Me: One of my classic rock favorites an older friend in college turned me onto in the late 80's. Great flow of songs. Lacks the sheer number of big FM radio hits that Who's Next boasts which was their next release in '75. Love , Reign O'er Me is the most well known song from FM radio. But, the music is terrific. The Real Me, Cut My Hair, 5:15, The Punk and the Godfather, Bell Boy. Not a weak track.

It's been over 25 years since I've listened to Quadrophenia in its entirety. It's a beautifully, immaculately produced album. Some of Townsend's best song writing. His use of synthesizers has to be one of the best in classic rock. The rock opera concept with recurring themes that flow from song to song are striking.

Pink Floyd's, The Wall came out when I was in high school. That's the rock opera I'm most familiar with...and I can see the influence.

If you like good progressive, complex rock, this is essential listening IMO. I had forgotten how impressive this album is.

But, I wish I had purchased the 2011 remaster.

Has anyone compared the 2011 delux edition remaster to the '96 I have? I'm having a little buyer's remorse.

Regardless-one of the Who's best!

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #46,389 of 136,313
Wslide.jpg

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #46,390 of 136,313

.....Whitesnake lives. Who would have thunk.

Very timely for me being a big 80's metal fan back in the day.

I just picked up:

The Very Best of Deep Purple-re mastered in 2000 which sounds terrific. This is a strong collection. Coverdale sings at least one track.

51fYZCmdX%2BL._SY300_.jpg

and a two CD Whitesnake Anthology-Gold that has a tremendous amount of Whitesnake/Coverdale material from the late 70's through the late 90's.  I hadn't heard any of Coverdale's early stuff, and it's quite strong. This anthology does a nice job of documenting Coverdale's growth from Deep Purple influenced  bluesy hard rock to the 80's hair metal juggernaut that Whitesnake became with all it's excesses and MTV exposure.  The later stuff sounds overproduced and kind of cheesy. And, as a fan that bought his music during their heyday, it was cheesy!

Whether you think Coverdale was a master at hard rocking blues or a Robert Plant rip off-he knew how to bring the big hard rock anthems and sold a lot of records. The WS/Gold anthology holds up and is very enjoyable if you're a fan.

Slide it in.

619JWKQEVYL.jpg

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #46,392 of 136,313

It really is interesting.. The music itself is very nice as well. : - )

The MoFi pressing is in Mono, so do be aware of that if you aren't. I'm planning on obtaining their pressing of Milestones and Kind of Blue (which Elusive Disc already has available for pre-order). This pressing of Round About Midnight is very warm and just a joy to listen to. I can't compare it to much, but I prefer much more to the Sony/Legacy CD I own of it. So I do recommend it!

IIRC, the Round Midnight and Milestones were originally recorded only in mono.  This is '56-'57.  I had the "stereo" editions which were labeled "Electronic Stereo" and mastered with the highs emphasized on one channel and the lows on the other channel.  It was pretty nasty sounding. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back