What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #45,333 of 136,243

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Vinyl. Sounds awesome.

Technical Lovers - A Call from the Future

theStark - ////
http://thestark.bandcamp.com/album/- (FREE!)

Trivium - 将軍 (Shogun)

Round 2:
I tried listening to this album for the first time with loudspeakers. I must say that the experience was infinitely more enjoyable than my first time around with headphones. Even though the album is seriously loud I'm fortunate enough to have a system that makes many such albums reasonably tolerable even if listening fatigue does typically kick in eventually. I was delighted when after pressing play I found the mix that had come across as mostly mush through my trusty Grados spread cleanly in front of me. I found the music a hundred times easier to follow as every instrument was clearly distinct and it was pleasing to witness that effort had clearly been put in to the mixing and apart from the very hard limiting I found the sound otherwise very passable. I have certainly heard metal albums that sound a lot worse even if my first impressions with this album spoke different. The album actually has quite commendable clarity and presence on a detailed system which is likely at least partially thanks to the compression believe it or not. It is quite amusing however to pay attention to the drums and note how minimal punch and impact they have thanks to the hard limiting.

Musically the album is beginning to seem like something that I can imagine one enjoying slightly more after each listen even after twenty listens.

Pete La Roca - Basra

180g 45rpm double LP released by Music Matters and mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman.

I must say that this is definitely one of the best new jazz records I've heard in the past couple of years. The musicianship on this album is just breathtaking. I've always loved Joe Henderson's playing but after hearing this record his position as one of my favorite saxophone players has become even firmer. This is an album I can wholeheartedly recommend to any serious and casual jazz fan alike. I would also be amiss if I didn't mention the sound on this particular LP pressing which is simply impeccable. I think I might go as far as to say that I doubt I've ever heard such lifelike sound on any CD I've listened to, and I think that might include SACDs as well. I won't say that the LP sounds like the musicians are in the room with you, because I don't think that's even possible with a mix like this, but the best way of describing it would be to say that it's like you are sitting in the control room listening to the group play live in the next room through speakers. The sounds is pretty much flawless by my personal standards. The recording does not even sound like a recording and that's pretty much the highest compliment I can give really. It's records like this that make me convinced that my record player must be one of the best things I've ever purchased – audio or otherwise.

Om - Advaitic Songs

Just got started on this. My first time listening to Om. If I end up liking what I hear I'm certainly interested in the 45rpm vinyl.

Edit: Wow, this certainly is a very low-key album. I will definitely need to revisit this in the near future for further absorption.

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #45,337 of 136,243
  ^love all things Alison

Her voice is amazing. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #45,338 of 136,243

Roxy Music

Avalon

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #45,339 of 136,243
Sep 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #45,341 of 136,243

This album is an all time favorite of mine.   
beerchug.gif

Hyper ; Agreed, it's that good !

Must spin some A.K. & U.Station , soon too  ;')

beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #45,342 of 136,243

Users who are viewing this thread

Back