What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #38,479 of 136,616
56292.gif

CLIFORD JORDAN QUARTET:
Live At Ethell's
Nothing I’ve recorded is closer to my heart than this, my first collaboration with Clifford. We recorded live at a posh jazz club in Baltimore for three great nights. Fresh off the New York jazz circuit, Clifford’s quartet was locked-in, relaxed and happily inspired by a house full of enthusiastic fans. Everyone from JazzTimes toBound For Sound has heralded this as one of Clifford’s very best, most appealing recordings. Stereophile called the CD “simply one of the most natural-sounding jazz discs I have heard.” The crystal-clear ambience (the occasional squeak of the hi-hat, the click of a wine glass, the audience’s chuckles of delight) make this CD a pristine vignette of jazz as it was meant to be heard: live. A Fi SuperDisc and a Bound For Sound Recording of Exceptional Merit(#56292)

Clifford Jordan, tenor sax 
Kevin O'Connell, piano 
Ed Howard, bass 
Vernel Fournier, drums

TRACK LISTING:
SUMMER SERENADE (B.Carte) - Listen to Full Song
LUSH LIFE (B.Strayhor)
'ROUND MIDNIGHT (T.Monk, C.Williams, B.Hanighe)
BLUES IN ADVANCE (C.Jordan)
LITTLE BOY FOR SO LONG
LITTLE BOY, BUT NOT FOR LONG (C.Jordan)
ARAPAHO (C.Jordan, B.Harri) - Listen to Sample
DON'T GET AROUND MUCH ANYMORE (B.Russell, E.Ellington) - Listen to Sample

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #38,480 of 136,616
These so far today.

The Alucard remix is pure sorcery.

How many singles come with an awesome 15 min long instrumental track as their B-side? This one does. I also think that this single version is better than the later album version. Rin sounds like she has more attitude and the overall sound is slightly more aggressive.

Listened to this for the first time with my B&Ws. Sounds really good (it's electronic after all). Like 95% of electronic music today, it's really compressed but not in the worst possible way and I found I could turn this up at least a couple of dB higher than some other electronic albums I have. Not sure how I would rate the album overall. The good songs are really good, but the weaker ones are really weak. What's bad about all of them is that they all feel really long… and they all are really long, so listening to the entire album in one sitting is quite a challenge. Quite a mixed bag a guess… If one took just the good songs and edited them down to half their length, this would possibly make a really good EP. After saying all that, I'd still say that my overall impression of the album is still quite positive. Just let me use the skip button when I listen to this and all is fine.

Next up is:

This'll definitely take up the rest of my evening, it's four discs after all. Wish I had time to actually finish the game someday…

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #38,481 of 136,616
Quote:

Listened to this for the first time with my B&Ws. Sounds really good (it's electronic after all). Like 95% of electronic music today, it's really compressed but not in the worst possible way and I found I could turn this up at least a couple of dB higher than some other electronic albums I have. Not sure how I would rate the album overall. The good songs are really good, but the weaker ones are really weak. What's bad about all of them is that they all feel really long… and they all are really long, so listening to the entire album in one sitting is quite a challenge. Quite a mixed bag a guess… If one took just the good songs and edited them down to half their length, this would possibly make a really good EP. After saying all that, I'd still say that my overall impression of the album is still quite positive. Just let me use the skip button when I listen to this and all is fine.

Deadmau5's latest album is even weaker. Putting all the good stuff in a smaller package definitely wouldn't hurt in his case.

DatA - Skywriter

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #38,482 of 136,616
Most of the album was mediocre but some of my favorite Deamau5 songs are on 4x4

Some Chords being the best. A few others on it are excellent, too. The height of his career is still Strobe, IMO.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #38,485 of 136,616
Gregory Porter - Water <-- this man can really sing!!!
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #38,486 of 136,616

Listening to it for the 1000th time, but My DT880s arrived today and this record I'm just too familiar with, so far loving it :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #38,488 of 136,616
Quote:

Always forget what a blinding guitarist J Mascis is when I haven't listened to this for a while!

Oh, man, that is some good stuff right there! I hate to think about the hearing damage I probably did over the years listening to that because it was just meant to be played LOUD. Love that record!!! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #38,490 of 136,616

Samsara Soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back