What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #38,432 of 136,462
Just rewatched my copy of "Music of Science", which contains four music videos directed by Masataka who is easily my favorite music video producer of all time. I've never actually liked music videos before I saw some of his work, and he is still the only one who has managed to show me that the medium can actually be used for something that I find worth watching.

Masataka has been kind enough to upload all of the videos on his YouTube channel in HD, so I've embedded them below in correct running order. I enjoy all musically, but the millstones video I don't find visually all that interesting. "EDEN" is simply still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Also, the first video does not contain any additional sound effects; everything you hear is also on the iTunes version of the song.

Here's also another video made by Masataka, which won the NicoNico 2012 music MVD award, along with a live version I discovered while searching for the link. The dancer goes by the name Yumiko. So glad I decided to dig up this song as well, because otherwise I wouldn't have discovered the Yumiko video.

I have a live version of this song on CD, but I might have to search for a compilation that contains the original version because it's just too catchy for me to ignore.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #38,436 of 136,462

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #38,437 of 136,462

Terrible movie adaptation of a great book, but the soundtrack has its moments.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #38,438 of 136,462
Christian Lillingers Grund - First Reason (Clean Feed Records)
lillingersGrund.jpg

Yes, this is organic music, with the low frequencies of two basses forging the ground (and that explains the name of this band, Grund) of everything happening musically, two saxophones (doubling on clarinets) on top, and everywhere the presence of Christian Lillinger, a pupil of Gunter “Baby” Sommer who plays the drum kit thinking composicionally. In three tracks, also a very special guest on piano, Joachim Kuhn. With this unconventional formation, Lillinger goes from one extreme to another: he combines rhythm and melody with no harmony in between, and he melts all instruments in a blurred mix of sounds, going totally harmonic and abstract. “First Reason” is the most advanced jazz played nowadays in Germany and in Europe, and knowing the list of collaborators of this drummer is to clarify the importance he achieved in the scene: Urs Leimgruber, Rudi Mahall, Mederic Collignon, Frank Gratkowski, Axel Dörner, Daniel Erdmann, Gebhard Ullmann, John Schröder, Simon Nabatov and Ernst Ludwig Petrowski are some of them, musicians of several generations and orientations. He's involved in collectives like Hyperactive Kid, Spoom, Wanja Slavin Sextett, Gschlößls Vierergruppe and Joachim Kühn Berlin Trio important cells of the 21st century jazz in the Old Continent. Slavin is one of the reedmen here, and the basic quintet also includes a growing star of the tenor, Tobias Delius. His partnerships are similarly astonishing: Steve Lacy, Louis Moholo, Bill Frisell, Misha Mengelberg, Jeb Bishop, Kent Kessler, Hamid Drake, Ray Anderson, and Han Bennink are among the improvisers who called him to play together. And then you have Kuhn, the first name everybody pronounces when the subject of the conversation is the European pianistic mastery in this kind of music. Simply remarcable.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #38,440 of 136,462

[size=19.33333396911621px]Patricia Barber Quartet[/size]

[size=19.33333396911621px]"Norwegian Wood"[/size]

[size=19.33333396911621px]/ Hopefully this performance will be included in her quartets [/size]
[size=19.33333396911621px]upcoming release (Jan 23 '13).[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itRFPAmz-Ug

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #38,443 of 136,462
David Gray - Greatest Hits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back