What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #34,518 of 136,563
Quote:
Quote:

I am listening to that exact track, and that is a challenging passage because you have multiple instruments that are peaking simultaneously. It sounds beautiful to me, and doesn't seem too compressed.

But that lack of compression may be the problem for you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but is sounds like it's too much for your system to resolve without distorting/clipping.

Distortion may be wrong wordwise, and clipping definitely is.

It's possible we have different tastes - To me, the loudness is bad. The loudness is undeniable. I can say I was possibly exaggerating. It's possible that it's by design that the song sounds like it does.

I don't want to say your wrong, but to say it's the fault of my admittedly low cost system is really far-fetched. Maybe it can be sound good, but it *should* sound good even on my system if it was meant to or mastered right. Similar climaxes in songs that aren't mastered poorly sound fine.

Also:
Listening to: 'Bury Me With It' from 'Good News For People Who Love Bad News' by 'Modest Mouse' with Media Center 17

It's not far-fetched at all. Take a lossless rip of that song to a hifi shop or even better a headphone meet that will let you listen to it on some serious gear, and get back to me. You will be able to hear separate instruments instead of the "clipping" that you described in your post, and Cash's voice definitely doesn't "go to hell". At least not on my system.

Music can't be "mastered right" for all systems as they all have different needs and capabilities, most prominently at the polarized far ends of cost/performance. I consider my rig to be at the lower end of summit-fi, and I can tell that passage is challenging.

And that's what makes this hobby challenging, the fact that there is always another threshold of resolution or whatever to conquer. I really like my DAC, but it's the weak link in my system and when I move up I believe that I will be able to resolve passages like that even better.

Seriously, I'm not making this up. Do you know anything about the "loudness wars"? Lot to read there, the wiki is a good starting point.

In a nutshell, popular music is typically over-compressed to sound better on inexpensive portable rigs and mini-systems because that's what 95% of popular music listeners use these days. When it's not compressed like that recorded music sounds much better the better the gear gets, but at the cost of being almost unlistenable during intense busy passages on more inexpensive rigs. Jazz and classical music for instance is mastered much differently than pop/rock, and sometimes pop/rock for vinyl is mastered differently than it is for digital.

I'm just trying to help, as you were complaining about something that isn't present on my system. Go to a summit-fi thread and see what they think of that passage, then go to an entry-level thread and do the same and you will get very different answers.

I would be happy to continue this discussion via PM if you like.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #34,519 of 136,563

Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #34,520 of 136,563

Dvorak's Violin Concerto in A minor op. 53. Great interpretation and great sound quality.

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #34,521 of 136,563
Quote:

It's not far-fetched at all. Take a lossless rip of that song to a hifi shop or even better a headphone meet that will let you listen to it on some serious gear, and get back to me. You will be able to hear separate instruments instead of the "clipping" that you described in your post, and Cash's voice definitely doesn't "go to hell". At least not on my system.

Music can't be "mastered right" for all systems as they all have different needs and capabilities, most prominently at the polarized far ends of cost/performance. I consider my rig to be at the lower end of summit-fi, and I can tell that passage is challenging.

And that's what makes this hobby challenging, the fact that there is always another threshold of resolution or whatever to conquer. I really like my DAC, but it's the weak link in my system and when I move up I believe that I will be able to resolve passages like that even better.

Seriously, I'm not making this up. Do you know anything about the "loudness wars"? Lot to read there, the wiki is a good starting point.

In a nutshell, popular music is typically over-compressed to sound better on inexpensive portable rigs and mini-systems because that's what 95% of popular music listeners use these days. When it's not compressed like that recorded music sounds much better the better the gear gets, but at the cost of being almost unlistenable during intense busy passages on more inexpensive rigs. Jazz and classical music for instance is mastered much differently than pop/rock, and sometimes pop/rock for vinyl is mastered differently than it is for digital.

I'm just trying to help, as you were complaining about something that isn't present on my system. Go to a summit-fi thread and see what they think of that passage, then go to an entry-level thread and do the same and you will get very different answers.

I would be happy to continue this discussion via PM if you like.

Okay, what I meant was that what I described as clipping wasn't clipping. When I say it's mastered wrong, I mean the album is much louder than ideal and dynamic range is lost. That area especially is louder than it should be. When I speak of mastering, that's all I mean, that the song is louder than it should be. I'm willing to concede that your rig might have it sound amazing, or maybe we have different tastes. Actually, I'd very much like other opinions on this song - I've listened on some higher end gear, but not to this particular song. I don't hear much difference to what I have (I have poor hearing) and those systems - but I know there's a difference. I can't hear it, my ears aren't golden.

I do still think it's far fetched to bring my equipment in to question when, let's face it, it's more likely a difference of opinion. I didn't use the right terms in the original post, nor do I know the right ones. I don't think the climax sounds pleasant because it's overwhelming - the instruments are separate, though, I never said they weren't.

I can understand the "well maybe it's ___", but please consider the other options! Hell, it's possible my *hearing* is to blame - there's a lot of things I'd consider before questioning someone's equipment. I'd consider cash's voice sounds fine "to your ears" rather than "on your system".

Still, maybe you're right.

Sorry for being so defensive!

Also, today is Thursday, and I am happy. "At Folsom Prison", legacy edition, should be in my hands in a few hours.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #34,523 of 136,563

[size=small]

[size=medium]   Buckley - Grace[/size]

[/size]  

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #34,525 of 136,563
Paul McCartney, Off the Ground (1993)

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #34,527 of 136,563

ELECTROCUTICA - RE:CYCLE

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #34,528 of 136,563

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #34,530 of 136,563
Quote:
Rediscovered this amazing album recently. That particular version of that song is tied with the  original in my eyes. So good. KD Lang has a pretty fantastic version as well.

Astonishing is the fact that 15 years has passed since he died by drowning .
Although, it was/is suspected by some Herion my have been involved in his drowning,
a great loss to humanity and fans of artistic talent, everywhere .
BTW, it was reported he also was suffering from diagnostic Bi-Polar disorder ...

Rest in Peace now, Jeff  ~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back