What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 17, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #25,456 of 136,277
Selections from the following:

Mental Vortex

Coroner

My system; Foobar > DAC-19MKIII > Ear++ Purist > Pro 900 alleviates the rather dry clinical tone of this album, but the cymbals are so recessed I can barely hear them.

Prove You Wrong

Prong

The bass thru Pro900s is monstrous and the drums punchy as can be on this album, harshness is smoothed out some by upstream components.

1000 Hurts

Shellac

Three piece bands will always rule

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #25,457 of 136,277

Quote:
I love that Jams CD in the box set

Indeed, agreed and thanx on the "heads-up" , Kneel bro :wink:

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #25,458 of 136,277

Quote:
Selections from the following:

Mental Vortex

Coroner

My system; Foobar > DAC-19MKIII > Ear++ Purist > Pro 900 alleviates the rather dry clinical tone of this album, but the cymbals are so recessed I can barely hear them.

Prove You Wrong

Prong

The bass thru Pro900s is monstrous and the drums punchy as can be on this album, harshness is smoothed out some by upstream components.

1000 Hurts

Shellac

Three piece bands will always rule

Yeppa, though Lloyd Peppard never fully believed in our tube rolling his "MAD" designs, I found the older RCA's(which I still have from my MAD ownership period) to provide greater lower octive weight AND more top end sparkle on well recorded performances; Also I likewise agree with your findings to be true in my listening experience that the fewer pieces allow for the greatest pleasure for this listener, with more blackness for sustain and decay between notes and flourishes :wink:

Nice selections, enjoy~

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #25,461 of 136,277

I love window shopping iTunes.  Say what you will about Apple, but you won't find a single spot on the innernets that is more diverse and easier to browse.  I can cruise through different genres, artists, playlists, etc., and browse for hours.  I can even start an album and hit the 'Preview All' button to hear the entire album (samples).  Then if I really like the album I can go to Amazon and pay a bit more for lossless (CD) or often find it like new for much less than $9.99.  Or I might even *GASP!* buy it off of iTunes.  There's never been a better time to be a music lover. 

And to answer the question more specifically, right now I am sampling some Robert Rich and Patrick O'Hearn.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #25,463 of 136,277
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #25,464 of 136,277
Hey HiFinthen,
I Just put on some Either Orchestra (remember?) then flicked to your pleasant response!  My ears must have been burning 
tongue.gif

I recall the good Doctor suggesting that rolling the driver tube would yield results, but is not the case with power tubes in this particular design.  I haven't played with the tubes enough to say anything conclusive but it's a solid, good sounding amp.  I'll have to try an RCA 5751 sometime, but they 'aint cheap these days.  I've read a lot of comments that Lloyds components consistently sound 'right'.  I tend to agree based on my limited experience.

I was reflecting on three piece combos after that post and I realised that they tend to have superlative control over dynamics, which precisely concurs with your observations.

Cheers bro', good times!

Love your work, btw

Quote:
Yeppa, though Lloyd Peppard never fully believed in our tube rolling his "MAD" designs, I found the older RCA's(which I still have from my MAD ownership period) to provide greater lower octive weight AND more top end sparkle on well recorded performances; Also I likewise agree with your findings to be true in my listening experience that the fewer pieces allow for the greatest pleasure for this listener, with more blackness for sustain and decay between notes and flourishes :wink:

Nice selections, enjoy~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back