What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jan 23, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #23,514 of 137,590

Quote:
Quote:
Lou Reed - New York

Yeah man, Talk about a guy who influenced many groups and HE LOVES Analog, Tubes etc.etc..........Right now, listening to Steely Dan "Two Against Nature".....Just picked up the disc,,,,,Loved it on My Vinyl Rig......

New York is one of those albums I really like listening to on cassette.  Not sure why. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #23,516 of 137,590

Quote:

Quote:
ok, I'm going to try King Crimson, unbelievable I listened to so many prog. but never heard them, pfff (shame on me probably)

So what are your impressions, are you enjoying them? I just ordered a used copy of Islands for my jazz radio show as it supposedly goes more that way than the ones we have been discussing. Red looks very good as well, that's next for me. From Amazon, they have 205 albums(!), but I am sure there are multiple copies of the same listed. Still even if it's "only" 50 or so that's pretty impressive. The three we have discussed are their most popular, and the most widely-regarded with Amazon customers at least. I am just getting back into them, but "discovered" them in the 1980s.

I think if I had to narrow it down to just three artist to explore from now on, it would be KC, Zappa, and I wouldn't want to give up my Cowboy Junkies although I already have most of their stuff. So I would add Miles Davis to the list, as there is a lot to explore there. I think you may enjoy Tutu, it's probably just as classifiable as prog rock instrumental music than jazz so it's not for purists by any means. I think Amandala may be the only other MD release that fits in that category, they are both from the twilight of his career.

I've listened to the Crimson record now 2 times, played the complete record. I have to say I'm not sure this is my prog.cup of tea, to be honest. I find it not awful to hear or something, but not really interesting. Track 1 and 5 are decent songs to me, but everything in the middle, can't say I've enjoyed that.
We'll listen some more and get to know their style a little bit, also listen to Red. Can't judge a prog. record on 2 listening sessions.

A lot of Cowboy Junkie love here also by the way. Zappa is not my thing.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #23,517 of 137,590

D7000''s

Have to try this, see what all that fuzz is about

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #23,520 of 137,590

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lou Reed - New York

Yeah man, Talk about a guy who influenced many groups and HE LOVES Analog, Tubes etc.etc..........Right now, listening to Steely Dan "Two Against Nature".....Just picked up the disc,,,,,Loved it on My Vinyl Rig......

New York is one of those albums I really like listening to on cassette.  Not sure why. 

Maybe because the CD sounds terrible? Truly one of the most embarrassingly unlistenable results of the loudness wars (or incompetence, or whatever else they were trying to do). There may be re-releases out there that I haven't heard, but the CD versions I have come across are just appalling.

I had it on cassette when it came out and never had any complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back