What are the top 5 most innovative headphone designs ever?
Jan 4, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
The bass travelling through the metal is pretty unique, and really does actually work (if a bit uncomfortable).

Hmm...didn't know it did that.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #17 of 23
In terms of pushing the bar or current headphone technology? Probably stuff like the Sennheiser HD414 and the Etymotic ER-4. The K1000 was very innovative, but never really influenced how headphones were made.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
Please tell me this is a joke! Maybe my sarcasm detection meter is running low today.

Not a joke, lol, imo we don't think the same thing :)

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #20 of 23
"Memory Foam" doesn't retain the imprint of whatever pressures it for very long.  A couple seconds to a minute from what I've seen.

Edit - heres a wiki:

Memory foam is polyurethane with additional chemicals increasing its viscosity and density. It is often referred to as "visco-elastic" polyurethane foam, or low-resilience polyurethane foam (see LRPu). Higher-density memory foam softens in reaction to body heat, allowing it to mold to a warm body in a few minutes. A lower-density memory foam is pressure-sensitive and molds quickly to the shape of a body pressing against it, returning to its original shape once the pressure is removed. The speed with which a foam returns to its original shape after a weight is removed is often part of the marketing message among memory-foam mattress producers, many of whom tout "newer generation" foams with "faster recovery.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_foam

"Memory Foam" does not mean "form fitting" - it's supposed to return to its "natural" shape as a form of resistance to better seal/grip/whatever the thing it's connecting with (like your body).
Quote:

Not a joke, lol, imo we don't think the same thing :)

As far as most "innovative headphone designs" - and I may be somewhat historically inaccurate about some of these (so feel free to correct me - I'm curious):

Sony MDR-R10 - first woodies, first bio-cellulouse drivers, and I think first angled drivers (later seen on MDR-F1, MDR-SA5000, and non-Sony products like AT ATH-W1000X and Stax SR-Sigma)
Koss ESP series - first (???) or at least very early electrostatic headphones, and likely first closed electrostatic headphones (at least ESP/9, if not ESP/6) 
Teac HP-F200 - "bone phones" (I have no idea if they are the first or not)
Sennheiser HD-414 - first open-principle headphones
and I'd probably throw the K340 on to finish the list out (mostly because I can't think of a good fifth - there's a few competing claims about who "invented" headphones, and most currently available products are in some way related to older products; not "new" in principle) 

If we get outside of headphones, we could talk about the Sennheiser Surrounder and Sony PFR-V1 and other "outside of the head" widgets. I'm not sure I'd consider them as my "fifth" though - but it could work. 

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
"Memory Foam" doesn't retain the imprint of whatever pressures it for very long.  A couple seconds to a minute from what I've seen.

Yes i m agree, at least a few seconds (minimum), but the foam from XB serie return almost instantaneously to the normal imo. Maybe i'm wrong, but for me its not memory foam. I use memory foam for my DSLR/lens and the foam can make a few minutes to recover completely. I'm agree, there is probably many different memory foam,lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back