What are the NEGATIVES of Owning the Beyerdynamic DT880's?
Feb 7, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #61 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
Dunno why, but I find those incessant "Of course, see you on the
blink.gif
side of the moon" quotes to be really irratating.

I find it highly irritating as well. Gimmicky, tacky and an eyesore.

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #62 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Negatives:
1.You start comparing every can you own to the comfort level of the Beyers and find them lacking. Then you start considering writing a petition to Larry at Headphile to make CPads for everything.

What about the A900's?

(The DT770-80's or the DT880's will be my next 'phones BTW. It just might take a while)

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #63 of 168
My biggest complaint with the DT880 (+ Corda Aria) is that the cymbals rarely seem to crash like they should. Maybe the sound is too laid back to deliver good impact in this area, but cymbals (to my ears) come off sounding a little tittery and tinny instead of full and brassy. This is with both CD quality audio (playing a CD) and 200-300kb MP3s.

Sssssses can sometimes irritate my ears. I used Bauer stereophonic-to-headphone DSP for Foobar for a while, which softens any irritations like this, but it seemed to amplify bass and vocals while leaving the rest of the music a bit recessed.

The metal frame pushes the phones out of place when I lean my head back on a pillow.

There is a lack of good padding in the headband, but I added some and the weighty feeling has for the most part disappeared.

A complaint with any headphone: I no longer feel the satisfying tingle of bass vibrating the floor under my feet. I am nearly 100% satisfied with the DT880 bass otherwise, though this could have to do with the Aria/880 synergy; bass sounds bloated when matched with my Onkyo.

Sometimes it shows too much of a vocalist's voice, right down into the cracks and crags. Mercury Rev isn't helped by this.

Other than that, most of my music has never sounded better. Spiritualized and Massive Attack are like new.

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #65 of 168
The one-sided cord is nice, nicer than the Senn 2 cord. Mine have the straight cord too, not the coiled one.

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #66 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
How about the ONE-sided cord? Isn't it pulling
the DT880's to one side of your head?
See, I've found another Negative!

Nope, the cord is actually a really nice feature. Makes taking on and off alot easier, and you don't get all tangled up with yout phone cord, usb cables, ipod cable, headset etc....
icon10.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #68 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
One sided cords are great. You are really trying too hard to find a negative.

Agreed -- I find that I have to really take care of double-sided cords, while one sided, I just throw them around however I want.

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #69 of 168
Well guys, I've posted in this thread with some of my concerns about the DT-880's, qualified with some good points too.

But - here's the ultimate negative. Mine didn't hold up. I bought them new and I used them often but gently. I sold them recently and packed them very well. Buyer reported a problem so I bought them back. Either they blew or they couldn't take the shipping.

I'm dumping them now as is in the HFi sale forum. I could not be more disappointed in them now.

Maybe they're brittle in more ways than one.

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #70 of 168
But - here's the ultimate negative. Mine didn't hold up. I bought them new and I used them often but gently. I sold them recently and packed them very well. Buyer reported a problem so I bought them back. Either they blew or they couldn't take the shipping.
===========
That's what gets me. Some of the posters on these forums don't rate durability as all that important. It doesn't make any sense to me. Regardless of whether a company has a good warranty; for what headphones cost they should HOLD UP for a very long time. As an electronic device, they are generally more expensive than speakers of equal or better quality yet they do not last as long on the average.

Most of the posters seeking recommendations for headphones on these forums are generally seeking help with a limited budget. They state it more often than not. It would seem logical to me that the LAST thing they want is a headphone/earphone that won't last. Therefore, if we truly want to be helpful, why isn't durability of PRIMARY importance?

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #71 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
But - here's the ultimate negative. Mine didn't hold up.

Too many variables...maybe they were dropped bigtime during shipping (you never know with those shippers). Maybe the buyer broke them and lied to you....who knows. The point is: your case may be an exception, and they generally do hold up well.

Edit: fixed quote

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #72 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Too many variables...maybe they were dropped bigtime during shipping (you never know with those shippers). Maybe the buyer broke them and lied to you....who knows. The point is: your case may be an exception, and they generally do hold up well.

[Originally Posted by craftech
But - here's the ultimate negative. Mine didn't hold up.]

CORRECTION: Originally posted by "billinkansas" not craftech

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #73 of 168
Yes a lot of variables, but no sign of abuse on unit or package. Fact is, they didn't hold up. Just reporting facts.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #75 of 168
I think the reason durability isn't often talked about is because there generally aren't that many cases (as a percentage of the whole) where headphones fail this way. Hardware failures on things like CD players or DAPs are far more common. And when a 'phone does break people do seem to report it here. Four I can think of off hand are:

Ety ER-4P's (where a couple of people have experienced problems with cracks in the casing - usually not affecting the performance, I believe, or, in my case, intermittent - once every few months - connection problems where the wire plugs into the casing. I just have to push it farther in.)

UE-10 Pro (cracks in the mold, also not affecting the performance, to my knowledge)

Sony E888 (some say the thin portion of the stalk is prone to breaking)

Sensaphonic 2XS (I can't remember who, but a Head-Fier reported a driver cutting out)

I'm sure there have been more than just these (I don't read EVERY post here
smily_headphones1.gif
), but I find it interesting that all of the ones I've come across have been models you have to insert in your ears. I wonder if their small size makes them weaker or if the insertion process subjects them to stresses other 'phones don't have to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back