What are the NEGATIVES of Owning the Beyerdynamic DT880's?
Feb 6, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #46 of 168
Woo!
eek.gif

Just felt like saying that all of a sudden, and had to post it somewhere...
blink.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #47 of 168
Get the 880's rewired and they really improve at the top end...making them just awesome.

No negatives I can think of
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #49 of 168
"Bass IS light, but accurate"

This is one of the reasons that I got rid of mine. Some of the others are, too neutral & analytical for my taste. While I decided they were not the headphone for me, I have tremendous respect for them & those who love them. I just needed a headphone with more of a "fun factor" involved, which is why I prefer the 990, and other phones. . . . . . .At this stage of life life/career listening to music is all about having fun!

- augustwest

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #50 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"Bass IS light, but accurate"

This is one of the reasons that I got rid of mine. Some of the others are, too neutral & analytical for my taste. While I decided they were not the headphone for me, I have tremendous respect for them & those who love them. I just needed a headphone with more of a "fun factor" involved, which is why I prefer the 990, and other phones. . . . . . .At this stage of life life/career listening to music is all about having fun!

- augustwest

Precisely why I switched to the HD650. I share your sentiments to a tee, except I have not tried the 990 yet. I've never been as interested in the nitty gritty of my music so much as the enjoyment.

I do suspect my amp clashed with the DT 880s though, after talking to other Head-Fi'ers.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #51 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakked1
Cons:

3) You'll want to run them out of a 120 ohm output or use a 120 ohm adapter... make a HUGE difference to the fullness of the bass.

With all 3 they are the bargain of the audio world IMHO.

I use my corda 0 Ohm jack usually. However, with some recordings, when the bass is too shy, the 120 ohm out is nice. Depends, because I'm no basshead. It is good to have both, though.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #52 of 168
The negatives?

They are not the end all to all things headphones. But they are keepers, that's for sure, and for me, that's bad because that's just another set of headphones to keep around the house to fill up space.

So far, I haven't found a headphone to replace it that keeps all the strengths of the 880 while raising the bar. I'm hoping (for the sake of my wallet), that the K701 will become my new all-rounder. My ideal headphone is exactly in between the 880's and HD650's, and I'm hoping the AKG is the one that fills that gap. If not, I don't know where else to go.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #53 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
My ideal headphone is exactly in between the 880's and HD650's, and I'm hoping the AKG is the one that fills that gap.

Me too. Can't get 701's yet but maybe that's a good thing so that we can read what Headfiers think of them first.

Been looking for something in between for a long time.

Ian

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #54 of 168
Thanks All! It's been very interesting and very
informative to me. We all have different ears.
But I think that a very important factor here
is an AMPLIFIER! Will Gilmore Lite or HeadRoom's Micro,
which both cost $299 satisfy the DT880?
What would be other choices under $300?

Of course, see you on the DT880's
blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #55 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia

blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

I don't know much about amps, but I do know this: You'll need a warm one for the 880 to do their best.

Feb 6, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #56 of 168
Quote:

blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

Dunno why, but I find those incessant "Of course, see you on the
blink.gif
side of the moon" quotes to be really irratating.

Feb 7, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #58 of 168
Quote:

blink.gif
Side of the Moon

Adam

The Gilmore Lite will power them just fine. I ran my DT-880's off one at a meet last fall and it did a decent job. My old Fisher X-100C tube amp blew it away in an A/B test though an instant test switch. The DT-880's like tubes, for sure.

Sort of off topic: You will hear all kinds of junk here about receiver and integrateds being inferior to headamps. This might be true when compared to modern Worst Buy or Circuit Schitty junk, but an old 1960's Fisher, 70's Marantz, Sansui, Harmon Kardon etc. will eat many if not most of the toy amps for driving headphones. You won't need a huge one, just a quiet one in good shape. A good one can be had cheap.

Back on topic: Make sure you like the DT-880's before you mess with an expensive amp. If you hate them unamped, you probably won't love them amped. The amp will help them, but won't save them if you don't like the basic sound.

Good luck, and I think you could liken the DT-880's a side of the sun instead.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #59 of 168
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
The Gilmore Lite will power them just fine. I ran my DT-880's off one at a meet last fall and it did a decent job. My old Fisher X-100C tube amp blew it away in an A/B test though an instant test switch. The DT-880's like tubes, for sure.

Sort of off topic: You will hear all kinds of junk here about receiver and integrateds being inferior to headamps. This might be true when compared to modern Worst Buy or Circuit Schitty junk, but an old 1960's Fisher, 70's Marantz, Sansui, Harmon Kardon etc. will eat many if not most of the toy amps for driving headphones. You won't need a huge one, just a quiet one in good shape. A good one can be had cheap.

Back on topic: Make sure you like the DT-880's before you mess with an expensive amp. If you hate them unamped, you probably won't love them amped. The amp will help them, but won't save them if you don't like the basic sound.

Good luck, and I think you could liken the DT-880's a side of the sun instead.

Thanks. Very interesting and very helpful.

See you on the Fisher's
blink.gif
Side of the Moon?

Adam

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #60 of 168
They sound very good out of my Yamaha receiver also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back