What are the different cord colors in my HD555's?
Sep 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

863chris

New Head-Fier
I am replacing the jack on my sennheiser HD555's. When I spliced the wire i found a blue wire, a red wire, a white wire, and a black wire.

Would anybody happen to know which set is left and which set is right and what the ground wires are?

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 11
Seems to vary a bit...

On my old Grados - the left side was red and blue (blue should be ground) and right side is white/black (black is ground). An ohmmeter would help. Or hopefully someone with experience with Senn' wiring will chip in.

Can you disassemble the old jack and just match it up on the new?

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 11
From what i know the Red wire is for right, Blue = left, and black/white is ground. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Dont own a ohmmeter, sorry if i sound like im shooting you down but do you a source or was that a estimated guess? i like to measure twice cut once

Like I said, I was just going by the wiring in an old pair of SR60s - I have NO idea if that is a standard, or if it is the same as what Senn uses. Personally - I would check the wiring in the plug, since that is what you are replacing anyway. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Here are the innards of the HD555 earcup where the cord comes in. 

The 4 strands hit a jack (left side), which routes them to correct drivers. I don't have time to track the printed board to see which goes where, but it's fairly easy to open up your own set, and should be able to figure it out from there.

Worst case scenario - low volume, trial by error - you can swap the jack cords around until it works. 

I still think cutting open the jack you are replacing and just mimicking the pattern there is your best option. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I tried every possible combination, the best i could get was a clear right headphone and i narrowed it down to the red cord plugged into the inside prong and the black cord was the ground...but it seems no matter what i try i get no sound to the left side. It cant be the headphones them selves because they were messed up when the plug was hit by a door while plugged in to the back of my computer

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 11
What about ignoring the interior jack for the left can, and just soldering directly to the appropriate leads? 

If nothing else, it would eliminate one troubleshooting point. 

Also - you get clear sound (both sides) with other headphones? 

You could also start over and get an entire replacement cord assembly from Sennheiser (not that there should be a need too... just unclear at this point on where the problem is).

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 11

Sorry for poor phone cam but as you can see the black and blue cord are together (so i think they are the grounds) at a lead on the highest point of the jack which confused me because on the new jack head the ground it is at the lowest point.

You cant see in the picture but the red connects to a point just above the white. Dont know if this helps

Sorry im not a head-fier so i dont follow your jargon. And yes I have sound with other headphones. This replacement cord sounds interesting, ill look into it. thx

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 11
well ive modded these headphones heavily.  i never paid attention to the colors but if i remember correctly the red and blue are the signals.  i think red is left and blue is right.  the black is definately ground.  the white wire connects both signals together at the end plug for either the signal or the ground wire, cant remember correctly.  i always dual entried my recable mods and got rid of that board anyways so it's not a big deal.  if you look at the end plug, i thnk you will see a black wire going to ground and a red/blue going to signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back