What are the best "WeebPhones"?
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #76 of 91
Female vocals are the most important thing to me, but I don't want to get ath ad because of the terrible lack of bass. The clears also seem to have great female vocals and good base and decent treble, I'm worried about the dip messing up some guitar solos in regards to hard rock or the soundstage being too small for gaming, but they really do seem to be the best fit for me. The ADX5000 might also be great but I haven't looked too much into it because of the 2000$ pricing

Can't speak for the Clears but perhaps check the HD660s out, the female vocals pop out noticeably more than the HD650.
The 6xx series have a really intimate sound, which I personally like. The sound feels closer to your head compared to HD800 from what I've gathered, I guess that's what people call soundstage.
Regarding gaming, I've had the Fidelio X2 which some recommend for gaming because of their wide soundstage, but their positional accuracy was terrible.
The HD650 is much better in pinpointing stuff in Overwatch compared to the X2, and the HD660s is incredible in this aspect IMO.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #77 of 91
Can't speak for the Clears but perhaps check the HD660s out, the female vocals pop out noticeably more than the HD650.
The 6xx series have a really intimate sound, which I personally like. The sound feels closer to your head compared to HD800 from what I've gathered, I guess that's what people call soundstage.
Regarding gaming, I've had the Fidelio X2 which some recommend for gaming because of their wide soundstage, but their positional accuracy was terrible.
The HD650 is much better in pinpointing stuff in Overwatch compared to the X2, and the HD660s is incredible in this aspect IMO.
I did try the 660S, I thought they were very nice. Personally found the 800S to feel a bit more "special" but I feel like it was because I was listening to led zep and jimi hendrix because that was the only music at the shop instead of my own music.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #78 of 91
That’s a shame you didn’t like planars, what did you try? Personally I’d go with the lyr3 regardless of headphone. However if your trying to tame a treble spike, I think an otl tube amp like the dark voice 336 or schiit vallhalla 2 would be a much better choice then the lyr3(if you go with the hd800)...the lyr3 is an amazing amp, but it won’t take that treble spike most complain about with the HD800...it’s just too detailed and neutral of an amp

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #79 of 91
That’s a shame you didn’t like planars, what did you try? Personally I’d go with the lyr3 regardless of headphone. However if your trying to tame a treble spike, I think an otl tube amp like the dark voice 336 or schiit vallhalla 2 would be a much better choice then the lyr3(if you go with the hd800)...the lyr3 is an amazing amp, but it won’t take that treble spike most complain about with the HD800...it’s just too detailed and neutral of an amp
I'm not so sure what to pair the Clear with though tbh

"Truth is, all three Focal cans have too low an impedance and large primary driver resonance to be successfully used with high output impedance tube amps...the Clear is particularly troublesome in this way however.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-clear-over-ear-open-headphones#BuARwbiKSUZPS0su.99 "

Seems like tube amps are bad and solid state is the way to go. I would imagine the DAC would be more important to pair with the Clear over the amp. Not sure what sound signature to go for either, bright to raise the midrange dip would make the treble spike worse, not sure about warm because I believe it's already a warm sounding headphone but it would still lower the treble peak and make it sound very musical and forgiving, or maybe neutral would probably be best? idk ._.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #80 of 91
I'm not so sure what to pair the Clear with though tbh

"Truth is, all three Focal cans have too low an impedance and large primary driver resonance to be successfully used with high output impedance tube amps...the Clear is particularly troublesome in this way however.
Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-clear-over-ear-open-headphones#BuARwbiKSUZPS0su.99 "

Seems like tube amps are bad and solid state is the way to go. I would imagine the DAC would be more important to pair with the Clear over the amp. Not sure what sound signature to go for either, bright to raise the midrange dip would make the treble spike worse, not sure about warm because I believe it's already a warm sounding headphone but it would still lower the treble peak and make it sound very musical and forgiving, or maybe neutral would probably be best? idk ._.

Only otl tube amps are bad, hybrid tube amps will work fine, to know if the amp will work with your headphones you want to look at the amps output impedance and it should be atleast 8 times lower then your headphones impedance. Besides that, your looking at how much power the amp can output into the ohm measurement of the chosen headphones...the lyr3 would be fine with the clear, even the vallhalla2 would most likely be fine(I believe it’s output impedance is 4 but could be wrong). The impedance matching only really matters with headphones that have a dynamic driver as planars are not effected by this issue

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #81 of 91
Only otl tube amps are bad, hybrid tube amps will work fine, to know if the amp will work with your headphones you want to look at the amps output impedance and it should be atleast 8 times lower then your headphones impedance. Besides that, your looking at how much power the amp can output into the ohm measurement of the chosen headphones...the lyr3 would be fine with the clear, even the vallhalla2 would most likely be fine(I believe it’s output impedance is 4 but could be wrong). The impedance matching only really matters with headphones that have a dynamic driver as planars are not effected by this issue
Ye but the lyr might be out of my price range with the 1500$ Clear's vs the 1100$ or less for the HD800 new ~ But I guess I could also wait longer to get an amp with the clear and drive it with my motherboard for the first couple of months until getting something like the lyr. I have the 370 SLI plus which uses realtek 1220 which really isn't all that bad, it would just simply be annoying with the extra background noise from inside the PC.

Apr 7, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #82 of 91
I've been using FAD Pandora VI for a while & would recommend it. It's magical with Jpop/Anime (I guess because FAD is made in Japan) since it's more of a bright (Mid/High) centric headphone. I'm an anime lover myself and I have tons of OSTs with FLAC files. Impressive soundstage and a very musical headphone.
My only complaint about FAD Pandora is that its bass; It can go very deep (as deep as planar headphones can do) but the bass slam needs improvement. Pair it with a neutral amp and you'll get bored after a while, so it needs a warm amp (thankfully I own the iFi micro BL so it helps a lot).

I was basically in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what cans would be labelled as 'Weeb'.
If you could, I strongly recommend you try ZMF Eikon or Atticus. It's not an open headphone, but they're one of the best TOTL Closed headphones you can find.
I found that ZMF Atticus is the more fun sounding with that visceral bass slam I've been looking for. But if you want to hear more details with juiciest sub-bass you can find, give a go with ZMF Eikon. Both of these cans have impressive soundstage for a closed can too.

Z1R is okay too but I find them inferior to the ZMFs in many aspect except for comfort. You need to pair with a proper neutral Amp (screw people who said they are not amp dependent) that can tighten their bass or you'll end up disappointed. Airy soundstage, impressive bass quantity & sub bass but weaker bass slam than the ZMFs. Also, I find the treble a bit sensitive to my ears even though people say it's smooth. But ultimately, I ended up disappointed with Z1R because it's bloody over-priced for its performances & it didn't pair well with my iFi BL (warm amps will exacerbate it's boomy bass and slightly veiled mids). You really need to use a balanced cable & amp to bring the best out of it, which I find it hard to accept because ZMFs headphone already sounded good without those upgrades. It's an expensive route for sure, just to get that 'good sound'.

If you opt for open headphones, you could try Focal Elear and Focal Clear. I'm not a huge fan of open headphones despite the soundstage & air because of the bass; they can go deep & punchy but you'll end up missing the slam.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #83 of 91
I've been using FAD Pandora VI for a while & would recommend it. It's magical with Jpop/Anime (I guess because FAD is made in Japan) since it's more of a bright (Mid/High) centric headphone. I'm an anime lover myself and I have tons of OSTs with FLAC files. Impressive soundstage and a very musical headphone.
My only complaint about FAD Pandora is that its bass; It can go very deep (as deep as planar headphones can do) but the bass slam needs improvement. Pair it with a neutral amp and you'll get bored after a while, so it needs a warm amp (thankfully I own the iFi micro BL so it helps a lot).

I was basically in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what cans would be labelled as 'Weeb'.
If you could, I strongly recommend you try ZMF Eikon or Atticus. It's not an open headphone, but they're one of the best TOTL Closed headphones you can find.
I found that ZMF Atticus is the more fun sounding with that visceral bass slam I've been looking for. But if you want to hear more details with juiciest sub-bass you can find, give a go with ZMF Eikon. Both of these cans have impressive soundstage for a closed can too.

Z1R is okay too but I find them inferior to the ZMFs in many aspect except for comfort. You need to pair with a proper neutral Amp (screw people who said they are not amp dependent) that can tighten their bass or you'll end up disappointed. Airy soundstage, impressive bass quantity & sub bass but weaker bass slam than the ZMFs. Also, I find the treble a bit sensitive to my ears even though people say it's smooth. But ultimately, I ended up disappointed with Z1R because it's bloody over-priced for its performances & it didn't pair well with my iFi BL (warm amps will exacerbate it's boomy bass and slightly veiled mids). You really need to use a balanced cable & amp to bring the best out of it, which I find it hard to accept because ZMFs headphone already sounded good without those upgrades. It's an expensive route for sure, just to get that 'good sound'.

If you opt for open headphones, you could try Focal Elear and Focal Clear. I'm not a huge fan of open headphones despite the soundstage & air because of the bass; they can go deep & punchy but you'll end up missing the slam.

Just my 2 cents.
Not really a huge fan of closed backs, I would like one but not as my *only* one because this will be my only source of audio for some time. I've been really interested in the Clear. I'm not sure whether to get the clear or the HD800 with a really good and potentially warm sounding amp like the Lyr 3.

Apr 7, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #84 of 91
I did try the 660S, I thought they were very nice. Personally found the 800S to feel a bit more "special" but I feel like it was because I was listening to led zep and jimi hendrix because that was the only music at the shop instead of my own music.
Listen to your music on the headphone, I would not determine if the headphone is right for me based on tracks other than my own. You can make a big mistake thinking 800 is the one and to find out it sounds quite incisive in general with many other tracks. Best way to audition is to get a loaner for a long duration to throw everything(genres, etc..) and see how it fares. You are taking a real risk if you go by people's impressions and hype here(some of the reviews I read here is a real shill fest, anything that sounds like they are trying to sell you schiit, ignore. If the reviews sounds realistic, impartial, and generally objective, take into consideration. If it has flowery language that don't tell you crap, obviously ignore. We don't need poetry), for such level of pricing of headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #85 of 91
Listen to your music on the headphone, I would not determine if the headphone is right for me based on tracks other than my own. You can make a big mistake thinking 800 is the one and to find out it sounds quite incisive in general with many other tracks. Best way to audition is to get a loaner for a long duration to throw everything(genres, etc..) and see how it fares. You are taking a real risk if you go by people's impressions and hype here(some of the reviews I read here is a real shill fest, anything that sounds like they are trying to sell you schiit, ignore. If the reviews sounds realistic, impartial, and generally objective, take into consideration. If it has flowery language that don't tell you crap, obviously ignore. We don't need poetry), for such level of pricing of headphone.
I've heard really good things about some schiit models, mainly the lyr 3, while on more budget routes I've been told to get something like the CTH + Topping d30 / 50. Is the lyr really that bad?

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #86 of 91
I've heard really good things about some schiit models, mainly the lyr 3, while on more budget routes I've been told to get something like the CTH + Topping d30 / 50. Is the lyr really that bad?

Who says its bad? People recommending against it are just saying

1. You don't need 9 watts per channel into 16ohms (without saying it isn't a great, cost effective way to get at least 2 to 3 watts per channel if you need that)

2. Barring the lowest efficiency planars, you can get by with something less powerful for less money

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #87 of 91
Honestly, I'd say get a Chord Mojo for now as far as amplification goes. It can cover most fo your desktop and portable needs until you want to get into really high end stuff.

You can buy both the Mojo and the Clear on Moon Audio's website. Consider the Questyle CMA400i if all you're looking for is a desktop solution and are willing to spend $800 on a DAC/amp

Also nice mikunyan

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #88 of 91
I got rid of the CTH since it didn't meet the hype it drew. It's at a picepoint most can get hand on one. I typically associate if tube is amp, I expect a bit of warmth to the sound, which it wasn't even as warm as my SS amp even. It's your run of the mill amp at the pricepoint, and shouldn't expect anything ground-breaking. I haven't compared other amps at the pricepoint, so I suggest looking into comparing to lower priced amps to it, or even REAL tube amps to find out if tubes are the sound for you, if you can go to meets, or can hand on different types of amps. CTH is actually sound on the cooler side than expected, and it's not a high performer as what people expect in how it is being hyped, perhaps for the pricepoint, dunno.

Mojo distinguises itself due to it's DAC characteristic, it's going have a bit of a smoother characteric for it's treble, which may or may not jive for people. I still have for use for my powered speakers as nothing can it feed the amp on my amp quite like it(even more expensive stuff). It's works quite well for my nearfield power speakers.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #89 of 91

Seems like tube amps are bad and solid state is the way to go.

Only OTL tube amps are the problem since they have very high output impedance, and even the Valhalla2 which has it at 14ohms (which is very low for an OTL amp) still flips power delivery around. Max output is at 300ohms and even the output at 600ohms is higher than at 32ohms. Basically, you can use some low impedance headphones for casual listening, but not if it will be your reference cans. OTL amps are more for delivering a heck of a lot of power into high impedance headphones for not a lot of money as other amps tend to drop output significantly, even if they start out with more than 1watt at 32ohms. That said, in most cases all that power isn't necessary since most 300ohm headphones have 97dB or higher sensitivity.

There are transformer coupled triode or push-pull amplifiers that have very low output impedance. The only real downside is the price of the amp, its size, the price on shipping it (which also factors into the MSRP, ie, how many they can fit into a crate to the dealer), the number of components, and the price of all the tubes that need to be replaced when they wear out. At minimum some amps have preamp and driver tubes, some have a rectifier tube as well, which means you need to maintain anywhere between two two channel tubes to six single channel tubes for SET and eight if PP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back