What are the best "WeebPhones"?
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #65 of 91
yes but is it free o.O
Nope, it's paid(monthly paid subscription services) and rather pricier than others out there for the lossless or Hifi streams.

There's advantage to subscription services like convenience of being able to stream music just by searching and for music discovery since you have access to a huge library of content.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #67 of 91
Obviously the answer is Fostex TH900. Have you seen the making video? Made in Japan by traditional "urushi" method. Do yourself a favor and YouTube that video. Can't get more weeb than that. I know. I own a pair and lived in that country for 5 years. These phones will drop a miku beat with some force.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #68 of 91
yes but is it free o.O

You can just use Spotify and set it to Extreme Quality. Not as high res as Tidal but it's good enough.

Also...you really should invest in getting good copies of your main music than just investing on the equipment. That's kind of like doing the reverse of what some people do with cameras: buying one that is far above the entry level units (or buying a dedicated camera at all) but then don't really use them to take casual snapshots in JPEG, something a good smartphone will be better and handier at (save for the lack of a viewfinder or very long shutter speeds).

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #69 of 91
You don’t need an expensive amp for the hd800s...something like the bottlehead crack, dark voice 336 or one of the little dot mk3 amps will run them very well, and are all otl tube amps which seems to be the general favorite for hd800s...all run between 3-500$. The crack is a kit so you would need to build it, but you can also find them built in the classifieds or eBay here and there. I have heard the crack with a few different Sennheiser headphones and imo it’s a good enough amp to be end game for many people with those headphones.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #71 of 91
That's the main problem, I won't have any money after I buy these. I myself will make like 1200$ and I'm getting someone like my mom and dad to help me pay the last extra bit. So I can't really to anything paid :/
Sounds like Focal Clear maybe in the significant budget range for you. Seems like a large chunk of money to be putting down for you. I also find it to be quite high, and wish the pricing of it comes down to earth despite seemingly a good weeb headphone.

Apr 3, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 91
Sounds like Focal Clear maybe in the significant budget range for you. Seems like a large chunk of money to be putting down for you. I also find it to be quite high, and wish the pricing of it comes down to earth despite seemingly a good weeb headphone.
Female vocals are the most important thing to me, but I don't want to get ath ad because of the terrible lack of bass. The clears also seem to have great female vocals and good base and decent treble, I'm worried about the dip messing up some guitar solos in regards to hard rock or the soundstage being too small for gaming, but they really do seem to be the best fit for me. The ADX5000 might also be great but I haven't looked too much into it because of the 2000$ pricing

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #73 of 91
Thank you so much for helping me btw, but I do have one more question >.<

My friend suggested that instead of the Clear, I should get the HD800 and with it costing nearly 500$ less I could get a much better, but also warm amp with it, making it sound more forgiving, warmer, and musical.

I thought this was somewhat an interesting idea because fixing the treble spike on the HD800 would be much easier compared to fixing the midrange dip on the Clear, especially because fixing the dip would make the Clear's treble spike much harsher itself. Not just that but the HD800 soundstage would make it a much more enjoyable gaming experience. Sennheiser also seems to have better customer service and a much more modular design for longevity sake. I am still a bit worried about the recessed mids and how difficult it would be to drive on a phone (galaxy s9 plug to be exact).

I was curious as to what you would think of this, would you still suggest the Clear? Thank you :3

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #74 of 91
Your most likely going to always need an amp of some sort for the HD800...where the clear maybe not so much...so I would plan to immediately buy a quality desktop amp/dac and portable(if you plan to use via mobile on the go). Both headphones are very high end and are most likely end game for most people. I’d highly suggest trying one or both prior to buying, or buying both and returning the least favored one within the free return period...both these headphones have a unique sound and both have been claimed as “the best Iv heard” and “the biggest disappointment Iv purchased”...I would look at amps that you would be interested in and see if once buying an amp and HD800 if it’s the better deal for you. Some amps to consider are the little dot mk3, dark voice 336, lyr3, bottle head crack have all been said to pair well. Another headphone worth considering may be the aeon flow open from Mr.speakers...i haven’t heard it personally but from a lot of the reviews Iv heard it’s probably a solid choice in your preferred genre. One that I own that I would highly recommend is the hifiman he560...the he560 is a great headphone, and while it doesn’t quite have the build quality as the others mentioned, it’s sound quality is unreal, and I recently listened to it with that song posted from your fav band earlier in the thread and it sounded great with that genre despite not being a song I would listen to regularly. Both the he560 and aeon flow open will require an amp aswell, but will save you a considerable amount of money, and I personally feel that the planar magnetic sound is much better for modern music like kpop.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #75 of 91
Your most likely going to always need an amp of some sort for the HD800...where the clear maybe not so much...so I would plan to immediately buy a quality desktop amp/dac and portable(if you plan to use via mobile on the go). Both headphones are very high end and are most likely end game for most people. I’d highly suggest trying one or both prior to buying, or buying both and returning the least favored one within the free return period...both these headphones have a unique sound and both have been claimed as “the best Iv heard” and “the biggest disappointment Iv purchased”...I would look at amps that you would be interested in and see if once buying an amp and HD800 if it’s the better deal for you. Some amps to consider are the little dot mk3, dark voice 336, lyr3, bottle head crack have all been said to pair well. Another headphone worth considering may be the aeon flow open from Mr.speakers...i haven’t heard it personally but from a lot of the reviews Iv heard it’s probably a solid choice in your preferred genre. One that I own that I would highly recommend is the hifiman he560...the he560 is a great headphone, and while it doesn’t quite have the build quality as the others mentioned, it’s sound quality is unreal, and I recently listened to it with that song posted from your fav band earlier in the thread and it sounded great with that genre despite not being a song I would listen to regularly. Both the he560 and aeon flow open will require an amp aswell, but will save you a considerable amount of money, and I personally feel that the planar magnetic sound is much better for modern music like kpop.
I hated planar's when I tried them :frowning2:

If I got the HD800 I would get the lyr 3, if I got the Clear I would get the CTH from massdrop, I believe. Nobody near me sells either the 800 or the Clear, but they do sell the 800S~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back