What are the best Tube Amps for IEM's?
Apr 7, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 35

Those two companies ALO and Schiit, have really been able to provide amps that work with IEM's.  I was really impressed with Schiit and its prices when I tried out their tube amps:  Vali II and Valhalla II.  Very transparent and crisp sound that didn't have the tube warmth, but a wonderful transparency for the price...  Didn't see that coming.

They still don't quite have the magic of the Alo CDM IMO, but offer a great price to performance ration IMO.

And I have heard from @HOWIE13 that you can modify the Vali II with some craftiness to get it to provide some warm tube sound.

I tried the Vali II first, but ended up going with Valhalla 2 because it was a bit warmer, but I was thinking I wanted over the ear phones. I have also done tube rolling that helps with that but I agree it still doesn't have that warmer/colored tube sound. It is probably good I have not heard the Alo CDM or C5, better for the wallet.

So have you come to any decisions yet?

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #32 of 35
  I tried the Vali II first, but ended up going with Valhalla 2 because it was a bit warmer, but I was thinking I wanted over the ear phones. I have also done tube rolling that helps with that but I agree it still doesn't have that warmer/colored tube sound. It is probably good I have not heard the Alo CDM or C5, better for the wallet.

So have you come to any decisions yet?

Well...  I have been a fan of Alo and Campfire ever since I gave them a try at Canjam.  It is like you say...  It is probably better you didn't hear the CDM.  @Ike1985 's description of it and review is spot on.  If it was only an amp and under 1,000$, that would be a must buy.  

I wouldn't mind settling for the Continental v5, but @Currawong 's review makes me hesitant when it discusses it being overpriced and having too much hiss for sensitive IEM's.  And honestly, when listening to the Cv5, I had nowhere near the satisfaction I had when listening to the CDM.

I would rather wait twice as long to have the CDM then settle for the Cv5.  I might have to wait a while.  The CDM really is a beauty to listen to, though.

I'll try to see what Alo Audio is offering during black friday.  Gives me some time to save and procure.

I recently am having to return my IMS Martin HVA, because it had ringing problems that wouldn't stop so I will be without tube sound for a while, but that's alright.

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #33 of 35
The question is: What IEMs?  The CV5 is great with dynamic driver IEMs that are fairly insensitive, but isn't designed for multiple balanced armature models. The CDM is a hybrid, as is the CV5, so the output is ultimately through a solid state stage. 

For preference, I wouldn't even consider a tube-based device for IEMs, except maybe some newer models that are 32 or 150 Ohms might be an exception. It's better to choose IEMs that suit one's listening tastes far and above anything else, and a good source after that I reckon. 
etysmile.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #34 of 35
I prefer iem's over headphones and tube sound over non tube sound. The reason why I started the thread was to find the combinations of the two that fit the best.

I prefer different types of iem's depending on my source.

I think you can look for the iem that suits your sound preferences firstly, then choose a good source after, or u can chops an iem's that suits well with the source u are interested in or know or have.

I don't have to go iem first, by if you're going source first, like for example the cdm, then it's important to make sure it has a good comostibility with iem's out there.
Cv5 seems to be less compatible with certain designs, so that's important to keep in mind.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #35 of 35

I'd love to hear how those IEM's sound on the tube amp and am very excited for you and your new IEM's!

The WA6 is quite a beauty.  have you had any experience with it?

Yes... I have three of them atm...   one WA6 is a custom from woo that is setup as a pre-amp stage to another WA6 Power Amp...   you have much more control over tube rolling when you get to select 6 different tube sockets..  :)   I actually call the setup my woo 66...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back