What are the best Tube Amps for IEM's?
Apr 6, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 35

I use both MOJO and CDM, Mojo -> CDM -> IEMs.    I let the Mojo do the DAC'ing and the CDM the amping, maximum sound quality.  Mojo can seem a bit lifeless unless it's cranked up and even then it has less dynamism than the ALO products.  Mojo has exceptional detail so why not stack and feed that detail to a competent amp.  What Chord is doing with DACs is far beyond what anyone else is doing IMO.

nice setup i'm sure. I would love to hear this. What is your favorite IEM with this?

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 35

I use both MOJO and CDM, Mojo -> CDM -> IEMs.    I let the Mojo do the DAC'ing and the CDM the amping, maximum sound quality.  Mojo can seem a bit lifeless unless it's cranked up and even then it has less dynamism than the ALO products.  Mojo has exceptional detail so why not stack and feed that detail to a competent amp.  What Chord is doing with DACs is far beyond what anyone else is doing IMO.

Awesome Combo!

What is your IEM of choice?

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 35

Right now I'm using the ADEL A12's but the A18 APEX's will be here monday and the Zeus XR's are also coming soon. 

Aaaah, not messing around I see lol

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 35

where do you live, audition time at Ike's, I'll bring the beer!

I'll bring the **** and the ******'s!

I am pretty sure I heard Ike was doing a free give away for anyone who shows up
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 35

where do you live, audition time at Ike's, I'll bring the beer!

HAHA! How'd you know I like beer?! I'm drinking a Rheingeist Knowledge right now, good IPA.  Anyway, I would be happy to share with everyone but they'll all be custom so I'd be pointless.  I'm in Kentucky and if anyone ever wants to use my source gear they are always welcome.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 35

HAHA! How'd you know I like beer?! I'm drinking a Rheingeist Knowledge right now, good IPA.  Anyway, I would be happy to share with everyone but they'll all be custom so I'd be pointless.  I'm in Kentucky and if anyone ever wants to use my source gear they are always welcome.

I'd love to hear how those IEM's sound on the tube amp and am very excited for you and your new IEM's!
  Woo WA6 works fine...

The WA6 is quite a beauty.  have you had any experience with it?

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #26 of 35
Woo WA6 works fine...

My W5LE works perfect too. The W3 is just an impedence mismatch on about 99% of IEMs, though I do have a pair of earbuds that sound like heaven with it. Only one pair in my history. Pair the W3 with the HD600 or HD650 and it wakes up.

The W3 is not an IEM amp and never ever will be.

Apr 7, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #27 of 35
I was pretty sure that OTL amps result in really bad impedance matching with IEMs. IEMs probably would only run well on hybrid amps. Transformer coupled amps are noisy so they don't do well with IEMs too..

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 35
I was pretty sure that OTL amps result in really bad impedance matching with IEMs. IEMs probably would only run well on hybrid amps. Transformer coupled amps are noisy so they don't do well with IEMs too..

ALO CDM is silent with my A12's.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #29 of 35
Schiit Valhalla 2 also silent with Mee Audio P1, iBasso IT03 and Oriveti New Primacy, and though not drastically, sounds better than directly from my iDevice.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #30 of 35
ALO CDM is silent with my A12's.

Schiit Valhalla 2 also silent with Mee Audio P1, iBasso IT03 and Oriveti New Primacy, and though not drastically, sounds better than directly from my iDevice.

Those two companies ALO and Schiit, have really been able to provide amps that work with IEM's.  I was really impressed with Schiit and its prices when I tried out their tube amps:  Vali II and Valhalla II.  Very transparent and crisp sound that didn't have the tube warmth, but a wonderful transparency for the price...  Didn't see that coming.

They still don't quite have the magic of the Alo CDM IMO, but offer a great price to performance ration IMO.

And I have heard from @HOWIE13 that you can modify the Vali II with some craftiness to get it to provide some warm tube sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back