What are the best Tube Amps for IEM's?
Apr 2, 2017 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Indigo Bob

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I have gained an interest in tube amps and found they aren't as simple to purchase for as other products.

What I wanted to know was what people thought were the best Tube Amps for IEM's they have tested out themselves or have tried or have.

I am looking for excellent values and price/performance ratios in case they do exist, But I don't want to limit my options because of frugality.  I have tried to explore cheaper tube amps and have become very disappointed.

I look forward to your input 
redface.gif

-I.  BOB

p.s. Pictures of your setups are very much welcomed if possible
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 35
ALO CDM-search over.  Easily replaceable and cheap parts (tubes, batteries), no soldering required.  Exceptional sound quality.  Badass design-it's a collaboration between Vinnie Rossi and the ALO team.  Two of the best minds in the game.  I love mine.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 35
  ALO CDM-search over.  Easily replaceable and cheap parts (tubes, batteries), no soldering required.  Exceptional sound quality.  Badass design-it's a collaboration between Vinnie Rossi and the ALO team.  Two of the best minds in the game.  I love mine.

darn it Ike! and here I was looking to suggest the Alo Rx even if it's solid state! haha.

I have been very impressed by Alo and Campfire Audio.

I have had my eyes on the Alo CDM.  I was able to try it at canjam and it sounded wonderful, but I wasn't able to do a private test in a quiet room so I wasn't sure.

What do you think of the Rx and the Cv5?

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 35
Are you interested in portable or desktop or both? Very interested in this thread as I am looking for portable.

I currently have Schiit BitFrost DAC -> Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL. Primarily bought this setup for over-the-ear cans, but have gotten in to IEMs instead. I am finding the results vary based on the IEM and their sensitivity. Driving these directly from iPhone vs the V2, the V2 even though it is not designed for IEMs, always seems to have a lower noise floor, provides more spaciousness, clarity and typically faster and better low bass/sub-bass. How much seems to depend on the IEM. Currently listening to iBasso IT03, Oriveti New Primacy and Mee Audio P1.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 35
I'm looking for something portable or desktop that has that warm tubey sound.  I have listened to the Alo CDM and it does a perfect job at that, and TBH the only drawback is the price.  @Ike1985's review of the Alo CDM describes exactly what i am looking for, but the price is hefty.  I like ike's suggestion to make a strictly AMP version of the CDM.

I've listened to the Valhalla 2, but it didn't have that warm tubey sound the Alo CDM does.  The Valhalla 2 is great, but it seems to focus more on transparency IMO.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 35
  I'm looking for something portable or desktop that has that warm tubey sound.  I have listened to the Alo CDM and it does a perfect job at that, and TBH the only drawback is the price.  @Ike1985's review of the Alo CDM describes exactly what i am looking for, but the price is hefty.  I like ike's suggestion to make a strictly AMP version of the CDM.

I've listened to the Valhalla 2, but it didn't have that warm tubey sound the Alo CDM does.  The Valhalla 2 is great, but it seems to focus more on transparency IMO.

Precisely. Great post! I agree with you 100%. I am still looking for that warm tubey sound myself, but without breaking the bank! V2 is better for warmer OTE cans. It is not night and day difference from driving the more sensitive IEMs from an iPhone vs the V2. I am looking for that difference maker, but unfortunately on a budget!

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 35

ALO Cv5 is a really nice option, and pairs well with Vega. Also it's tiny – almost the same footprint as a Mojo.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 35

ALO Cv5 is a really nice option, and pairs well with Vega. Also it's tiny – almost the same footprint as a Mojo.

I got to listen to it at Canjam, but like the other Amp's/DAC's I couldn't get a bearing on the noise floor.
  how does the Mojo compare to the Cv5? Does the Cv5 provide the smooth tubey sound over what the Mojo offers?

I tried out the Mojo and Cv5, and I preferred the Cv5, but I only tested them out for a few songs each.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 35
Apr 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 35

I have been very impressed by Alo and Campfire Audio.

I have had my eyes on the Alo CDM.  I was able to try it at canjam and it sounded wonderful, but I wasn't able to do a private test in a quiet room so I wasn't sure.

What do you think of the Rx and the Cv5?

Haven't heard RX, Cv5 was good but it wasn't CDM.  Sound was less dynamic to me, less spacious and tubey, less WOW if you know what I mean.  For the price it is very good though, but when you consider you can get a used CDM for a few hundred more....the CDM is the clear choice IMO.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 35

I got to listen to it at Canjam, but like the other Amp's/DAC's I couldn't get a bearing on the noise floor.

I tried out the Mojo and Cv5, and I preferred the Cv5, but I only tested them out for a few songs each.

I use both MOJO and CDM, Mojo -> CDM -> IEMs.    I let the Mojo do the DAC'ing and the CDM the amping, maximum sound quality.  Mojo can seem a bit lifeless unless it's cranked up and even then it has less dynamism than the ALO products.  Mojo has exceptional detail so why not stack and feed that detail to a competent amp.  What Chord is doing with DACs is far beyond what anyone else is doing IMO.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 35

Bring shooting over ear protection next time and you'll be able to hear much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back