What are the best speakers in the world?
Aug 31, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #91 of 126

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130549586272&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

lol, "induces nausea-like symptoms"!

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #92 of 126

Quote:
I think JM Labs Focal have the best line-up of anyone. Amazing from their bookshelf speakers, CMS (and twins) studio monitors and their high-end.

Couldn't disagree more. Every JM Lab I've heard, and I've heard a few, has been a massive disappointment, right up to the Grande Utopia. $90K for thoroughly mediocre sound, outperformed by $10K stuff from other speaker builders.

Sep 1, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #93 of 126
They might not be the 'best speakers in the world', or at least not any longer, but I've always had a soft spot for Duntech Sovereigns. They were one of my very first exposures to high-end audio (my dad's 'lounge room' speakers growing up).

Plus, they're both gorgeous and give an appropriately imposing impression. Just make sure you're not going to need to move the bloody things around once you've put them in place (275lbs each).

Sep 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #94 of 126
i used to have JBL 4345 in my house. I was too young and knowing nothing about audio i thought they sounded "acceptable".
Apparently they were very good speakers but how do they compare to the ones you guys are talking about like quads or magnepans, 800D,etc.. ? I'm probably going speakers in a few years...

edit : actually they were 4343's

Sep 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #95 of 126

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. Every JM Lab I've heard, and I've heard a few, has been a massive disappointment, right up to the Grande Utopia. $90K for thoroughly mediocre sound, outperformed by $10K stuff from other speaker builders.

I agree. Focals are great for stripping paint, not for listening to IME.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #96 of 126
That is a difficult to answer question, several years back I had the pleasure to meet the esteemed Bert Whyte, had a discussion on that subject. Ho owned a pair of B&W 801's and as a result of said discussion I went ahead and constructed a live end dead end listening room about the same size as Mr Whyte's and added a set of B&W 801 speakers which I found to be very satisfying. Upon further research I added a second set of identical speakers a placed them on top of the first pair. The distance separating the tweeters Is exactly 1.125" . The sound is rather stunning, spectacular etc etc you sort of run out of appropriate adjectives. In my environment and with the remainder of associated equipment this is totally satisfying. I don't know how to publish pictures but I will be glad to email one to you. My email is topspeed200@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #97 of 126
Quote:
That is a difficult to answer question, several years back I had the pleasure to meet the esteemed Bert Whyte, had a discussion on that subject. Ho owned a pair of B&W 801's and as a result of said discussion I went ahead and constructed a live end dead end listening room about the same size as Mr Whyte's and added a set of B&W 801 speakers which I found to be very satisfying. Upon further research I added a second set of identical speakers a placed them on top of the first pair. The distance separating the tweeters Is exactly 1.125" . The sound is rather stunning, spectacular etc etc you sort of run out of appropriate adjectives. In my environment and with the remainder of associated equipment this is totally satisfying. I don't know how to publish pictures but I will be glad to email one to you. My email is topspeed200@gmail.com

You mean... you have two 801's stacked with the bottom unit "right-side up" and the top speaker "upside down?"   Is that how you got the tweeters so close?

If so... how did you stack them?  Did you build a custom "stand" to hold the top units?

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #98 of 126
Quote:
They might not be the 'best speakers in the world', or at least not any longer, but I've always had a soft spot for Duntech Sovereigns. They were one of my very first exposures to high-end audio (my dad's 'lounge room' speakers growing up).

Plus, they're both gorgeous and give an appropriately imposing impression. Just make sure you're not going to need to move the bloody things around once you've put them in place (275lbs each).

They definitely were at one time!!!

My choice now would be the Tidal T1 system for the best speaker system........got to get a listen to the Magico Q7 though 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #99 of 126
Best speakers I've ever heard? Magico Q5.

My favorite speakers? Wilson Duette. They sound like music, they're easy to drive, they're not finicky about placement, and they're only (?!) $11K/pair.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #100 of 126
I'm not very familiar with home audio. But last week I bought some cheap power cable from audio store at my home town. The shop keeper allowed me to listed to their best setup. Its an Acapella (not sure what type). Enough said, after 5 songs, I walk away with tails between my legs and tears on my eyes considering how nice it was and how in the world I can afford it

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #101 of 126
Quote:
Best speakers I've ever heard? Magico Q5.
My favorite speakers? Wilson Duette. They sound like music, they're easy to drive, they're not finicky about placement, and they're only (?!) $11K/pair.

You really like the Duettes? I've never heard them but was always curious. They are the only Wilson with a silk tweeter.
Is the midrange natural?

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #102 of 126
I've only listened to the Duettes for a half hour, in the front room at Brooks Berdan, but they were impressive.  Very neutral and natural, top to bottom.  I don't like them as much as the Magico Q1, but they are less than half the price.

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #103 of 126
Quote:
I've only listened to the Duettes for a half hour, in the front room at Brooks Berdan, but they were impressive.  Very neutral and natural, top to bottom.  I don't like them as much as the Magico Q1, but they are less than half the price.

Thanks for that. I've always liked Wilson speakers except for some of the titanium tweeter issues (a little mechanical), so that's really good info for me, an honest opinion by a headfier.
Regards.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #104 of 126
MBL Extemes.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #105 of 126
Hello,

Had opportunity to audition KEF Blade driven by PASS gears and DCS source...   sublime.  I preferred more than Sonus Faber flagship Aida + AR gears... The later sounded fine but not didn't touch into my heart.

Listened to Grand Utopia, nice sound but KEFs were magical.

Cheers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back