What are the best Gaming Headphones?
Apr 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #16 of 35
www.sennheiserusa.com/g4me_rebate

we have an entire gaming line
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #18 of 35
I'll throw in a vote for the DT770. I use it for all my gaming needs. And I have actually owned a barracuda at one point (As my signature states), and the DT770 is better for gaming in pretty much every way. I use Razer mice, but stick to their mice.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #19 of 35
I'd say the Senn 555s are a good bet. Really immersive when run off an XFi card. The hd280s aren't bad either, but need a bit of a bass boost.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeliveryMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we have an entire gaming line
smily_headphones1.gif

I think people are getting tired of reporting all your shilling. No other MOTs can do it.

Oh and I like Senns a lot for gaming. HD580s were great. HD555s are also good. I'm using HD25-1-IIs right now. I just received them so I can't comment definitely but they're definitely good enough for FPS games.

-Kyle

edit: Most headphones are going to be good enough. The only ones I've come across that I wouldn't recommend are Grados. KSC35/75s do a great job. HD515s, babystax, etc.

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 35
hahahahahhhahahaha G4ME! why not G4M3? I'm actually considering a PC350 since I'm too lazy to mod my headphones (other than duct-taping my crappy monaural headset onto my SHP9000 and only using the mic part), but why doesn't all the G4ME line have microphones? I mean I can understand the in-ears not having them, but why market as gaming headphones when there's no mic? Otherwise they're just shinier HD201s and HD515s.

May 6, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahahahhhahahaha G4ME! why not G4M3? I'm actually considering a PC350 since I'm too lazy to mod my headphones (other than duct-taping my crappy monaural headset onto my SHP9000 and only using the mic part), but why doesn't all the G4ME line have microphones? I mean I can understand the in-ears not having them, but why market as gaming headphones when there's no mic? Otherwise they're just shinier HD201s and HD515s.

I just got my PC350s today. The build is really nice and comfortable and I have no problem wearing them for hours on end.
However, either I need longer for them to break in or a headphone amp. They sound very harsh. Bass response seems mushy overall and sound is quite 'wheezy' throughout--like a person out of breath, not George Jefferson's wife.
I can turn up the vol very uncomfortably loud, though. Does that mean my amp may not be the problem?
My Asus Xonar D2X is supposed to have a highly amped headphone setting and while it murders my Grado SR60s, I'm not sure it's doing too well with these. (yeah, I know, BIG difference.)
For reference, I have my Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 Pros, it may be an unfair comparison, there...
I was considering getting a Bass Boost cMoy v2.00 to see if it would give the 350s a much needed improvement.
BTW, the game I've been playing with is UT3. I went straight from my Onkyo HTiB 7.1 to these 350s. It seems I get much better directional cues from my Onkyo, but I know everyone says headphones are better. Come to think of it, I have heard some other UT3 players comment there's some issues with UT3 not doing headphone sound right. That jackhammer sounds incredibly load though it's far off...
There's a lot I still don't fully understand in this audio world, so apologies for my n00bness.

May 6, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SF5 for gaming is a joke.

I don't use them for gaming, regularly, no. But they sound much better, overall, in comparison the the 350s.

Besides, aren't the GX400s IEMs?

May 6, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #25 of 35
What's the difference between a HD201 GAME and HD201? Anyone know? All I can see is higher price on the game, and maybe a different colorway. It's advertised as being rugged, and something one can take to a lan. (has the endurance been increased, or just marketing?)

Sennheiser's headsets seemed to be priced more reasonably in the past... like when I bought my pc150's for ~$35.

May 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #26 of 35
Ok, I've broken in my PC 350 and they sound better, but still cold. I'm getting a CMOY 2.00 headphone amp to see what I can do with it.
I'm getting used to these, but still wonder about getting the Beyerdynamic headset...

May 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #27 of 35
The beyer headset would have been the better choice.

May 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 35
Highest Quality: A700
Next: Everglide S-500
Next: Plantronics Audio 90's (but not needed since he has a mic I guess.)

I used my A700's for gaming for about 3 months, running off of my x-fi platinum sound card. They ROCKED, positional sound and quality was awesome. Maybe a TAD too many bass, but nothing near an annoyance.

Then, I saw on Woot : One Day, One Deal (SM) one day, Everglide S-500's for $20 + shipping. They go for $80 on the company website. Although I dont game that much anymore, I couldnt pass this up, if I didnt like them, I could always sell them on craigslist and MAKE money.

They are very sweet for gaming. Positional audio and sound quality are top notch for gaming, although they arent the BEST music headphones, they are still decent for just jamming to music. Definitely a good pair of gaming headphones.

The audio 90's are just very good for the price. Like 15 dollars, and they are sweet.

Honestly, with an x-fi sound card, if you get a good high-quality pair of phones you cant go wrong. The S-500's are $55 on amazon.

May 25, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliotm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I've broken in my PC 350 and they sound better, but still cold. I'm getting a CMOY 2.00 headphone amp to see what I can do with it.
I'm getting used to these, but still wonder about getting the Beyerdynamic headset...

Got a Bass Boost CMOY 2.00.
No remarkable improvement over the ASUS Xonar D2X. In fact I'd dare say the sound is degraded, but only a little bit.

Will still use the nice CMOY for other applications.

So a headphone amp is superfluous, in this case.
Xonar owners rejoice.

Would like to try the Beyerdynamics, but $$ is only inhibition, right now. :p They're like what, $400?

PC 350 now around $177 at buy.com (thru some fluke i got mine for $118 XD . then they marked them up to $177. now for that G4ME rebate!)

EDIT: Oops, looks like I didn't buy directly from Buy.com, but through a seller there called Digital Foto Club. Whatever, they're now $177.

May 25, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 35
The Sony MDR-F1 should get a very loud mention.
I spent ages looking for a decent gaming headphone and plugged the F1s into the PS3 for a marathon COD4 fest and the search came to an end.

For me the F1 has the best sound as well as soundstage which I find important for positioning and separation.

Nothing comes close for play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back