What are the best Gaming Headphones?
Apr 9, 2008 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Steggy

100+ Head-Fier
my friend plays a lot of pc videogames like cod4. right now he uses razer barracuda pc headphones on an x fi soundcard. I know the reviews those barracudas get and am trying to get him to reconsider better gaming headphones, so i come to you guys.

what hed like is good sound quality, comfort, and the best directional sound.

he doesnt really believe in paying an exorbatent amount of money for a pair of headphones, so the price range would be like around 100-150, with a little room to stretch.

also, a mic isnt necessary for them since he uses a desktop mic.

im gonna take a stab and say a good amount of people will suggest the AT a700 lol. just lookin for confirmation haha

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 35
Yeah, you got it. A700

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 35
it really depends what you are looking for...

cause now I think about it... esp for gaming... I wouldnt really want more bass, esp the fact that in FPS, nothing is really LOW in frequency(unless its grenades and bombs)
what i mean is... if you have a pair of ehadphones that can catch trebles and mids easier, wouldnt that give you better response, considering that you might catch people's footsteps / breathing, bullet shots a lot easier.

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 35
Surely something made by a company that specializes in mouse pads or heatsinks.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely something made by a company that specializes in mouse pads or heatsinks.

razer doesnt do heatsink... razer does mostly mouse and keyboard

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 35
GX400s for IEMs

780s for circumaural.

People who brag about 5.1 sound in headphones probably suck at gaming, because they don't realize how horrible they are for point precision sound and horrifically flabby bass.

These two IMO are the best deals for gaming headphones available, though the 555/595s are also good from Sennheiser.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 35
It depends on HOW your friend plays. If he uses his ears as tools in a game rather than candy...I'd say get something with a more....sparkle highs. I personally play CoD4, TF, QW...etc, and I love the highs that my 701s produce and it allows me to pick up on WHERE the enemies are. However if the sound is just candy to him, you may want to suggest something with a bit more bass. Also, is it amped? 555s are pretty good for games imo if you aren't amped.

Also, if you recommend him a new audiocard, make sure it is a gaming card- I know it sounds silly, but I'm running a q6600@3.6ghz, 2 gigs of ram, and a 8800gt@740mhz.... when I'm using my audiophile quality E-MU 1212m....it get really crappy frame-rates (about 25fps in HL2), but I put my old audigy 2 back in and those fps jumped up to about 140fps. Soundcard tech makes a huge differences if you're a gamer. My 100 dollar 1212m is sitting on a shelf collecting dust just because it's crap for gaming
frown.gif
. Food for thought.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 35
Being a gamer not a audiophile, I can say knowing where the enemy will be coming from is piority, sound quality is minor. I have a pair of this:

Amazon.com: Sennheiser PC150 Noise Cancelling PC Headset: Electronics

(actually the model with USB, but I detach it and use it on X-Fi)
It can give me a precise position of the enemy combining use with X-Fi sound card. Even though I don't find it comfortable for long use and it is rather crappy for listening to music.

My friend owns a HDxxx which cost way above my headset and imo does not give enough detail of the game, and yes it does sound way better than PC150 in SQ.

idk much about barracuda, but 5.1 headphones does give you an edge in gaming.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 35
What about the Sennheiser PC350? I've been considering them since you can get those for about $160-175.

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOakTopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Sennheiser PC350? I've been considering them since you can get those for about $160-175.

Wait. Where?

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back