What are head-fi members views on apt-x lossless codec (over bluetooth)?
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #422 of 461
I just got a pair of Jaybird X3's. They are not apt-x but they are BT 4.1 and with EDR they do not have the compression issues that everyone is so concerned with when using the SBC codec. It has an AAC codec (for Apple folks) and some form of modified SBC codec (whatever that means). They happen to sound very good and that's what counts. There's an app for android and iOS that allows you to draw and save EQ curves. The EQ is done inside the IEMs, so you don't need the app to be running once it is set.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #423 of 461
Combined the ear-in from Sony with my ath-im02 inorder to have the LDAC codec with sound of my lovely ath-im02. Works great. It's a big plus that now Android O have baked in support for aptX, aptX hd and LDAC.
d8fee23b387a4a085176de21878dd5e1f6082976.jpg

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #424 of 461
Giving this a necro-bump rather than starting a new thread since my question is related to the three flavors of aptX but don't see it covered so far.

I have a Bluewave Get that features aptX HD on order, in corresponding with the developer, he mentioned that the Get should be backwards compatible with regular aptX and aptX Low Latency (LL), it'll use the corresponding codec depending on the paired device and what is being played (e.g. if video, it should automatically use aptX LL).

I recently got the V30 and when paired with Mixcder's HD601 (which features aptX LL) it only connects via regular aptX. The V30 doesn't give any indication as to which codec is being used, I can only tell by the LED color on the HD601. This seems to indicate that either the V30 doesn't support aptX LL or aptX HD isn't backwards compatible with it. Would anyone know for sure?

TIA!,
Tim

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #425 of 461
Giving this a necro-bump rather than starting a new thread since my question is related to the three flavors of aptX but don't see it covered so far.

I have a Bluewave Get that features aptX HD on order, in corresponding with the developer, he mentioned that the Get should be backwards compatible with regular aptX and aptX Low Latency (LL), it'll use the corresponding codec depending on the paired device and what is being played (e.g. if video, it should automatically use aptX LL).

I recently got the V30 and when paired with Mixcder's HD601 (which features aptX LL) it only connects via regular aptX. The V30 doesn't give any indication as to which codec is being used, I can only tell by the LED color on the HD601. This seems to indicate that either the V30 doesn't support aptX LL or aptX HD isn't backwards compatible with it. Would anyone know for sure?

TIA!,
Tim

The V30 doesn't support aptX HD or aptX LL. Funnily enough though, the V20 does support aptX HD.

Jan 6, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #426 of 461
Also, you can look in the developer options of your phone. Under the networking section, you can see which codec is currently used.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #427 of 461
Jan 6, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #428 of 461
Jan 6, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #429 of 461
I've enabled Dev Options but would you mind telling me where can I see which codec is in use?
You go to Bluetooth Audio Codec in the Developer options and there you can establish which codec to use by default (if possible) and it displays which codec is currently used when you're currently using a bluetooth device. And there is other settings, like when you're using LDAC like me to decide between adaptive bitrates, prioritize connection, and prioritize quality.

And another useful setting is Disable absolute volume, which allows you to crank up to max the bluetooth volume on your device and adjust the volume on your headphone separately afterward, allowing for a more granular control of the volume.
Screenshot_20180106-125753.pngScreenshot_20180106-125748.png

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #431 of 461
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #432 of 461
Bummer, LG support just got back to me stating that the V30 doesn't support Low Latency. It's weird that they wouldn't have included this as well. I've read that aptX HD's latency can be adjusted (to as low as 1ms vs. LL's 32ms) but does anyone know what the native latency is? Any experiences you can share re: audio sync while watching video?

Jan 15, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #433 of 461
I’ve listened to the highest quality on the WH100XM2 and the same on my B&O H6 Gen 2 with wires, and the H6 produces a far superior sound than Bluetooth. Perhaps as was suggested when 5.0 is ubiquitous it will exactly the same as wired, until then I think not.

Jan 15, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #434 of 461
I’ve listened to the highest quality on the WH100XM2 and the same on my B&O H6 Gen 2 with wires, and the H6 produces a far superior sound than Bluetooth. Perhaps as was suggested when 5.0 is ubiquitous it will exactly the same as wired, until then I think not.
That's like listening to 2 different speakers , not to mention your confirmation bias.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #435 of 461
That's like listening to 2 different speakers...
+1 to this

@Michial - I assume that by highest quality you mean either aptX HD or LDAC and I get that you're trying to convey that wireless can't (yet) compete with wired but your example is really an apples to oranges comparison. I'll be honest that I have a tough time distinguishing between regular aptX and wired using the same headphone (leaving out the subtle differences due to powered vs. passive) so I'm quite happy with the state of BT at the moment but that's not to say I don't look forward to continued improvements. Even if I can't distinguish them, it satisfies me mentally... :)

It's my opinion that in a blind study where participants do not know the make or model of a headphone with a fake wire connected to one of the better BT cans (by this, I mean ones that don't have tell tale white noise, hiss or connection blips), most participants wouldn't be able to tell if that connection was truly wired or BT (stay thy pitch forks, I said most... :) lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back