What are head-fi members views on apt-x lossless codec (over bluetooth)?
Apr 26, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #196 of 461
  HI,

I'm looking to buy a bluetooth audio streaming receiver with the best quality of muisc for not too much money. It's for my K553 which are my on-the-go

Why don't you buy the AKG K845BT?

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #197 of 461
Oups I didn't know about them. I bought the K553 because they were on Massdrop. But I think I will still mod the K553 because they have a better sound than the K550 (and the K845 thus) but it's sure they are interesting. Well I don't know at the end, because making the K553 wireless will cost around 80 bucks at the end, so it's worth it? Uguu... for one time I thought I make the right purchase, always something coming up afterward.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #198 of 461
But the K845 do not have aptx also, so I think it will be better for the sound to buy a receiver... and will give me the ability to upgrade the receiver also. So ya, I think I will continue this way, so any recommendation for the BT receiver? (I'm thinking I will grab the QCY QY3)

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #199 of 461
It would really help me if someone tests this because I will buy an aptx enabled mobile if the bass power is same as wired connection. thanks..

I am having very serious problem understanding WHY exactly did you post this question in each single thread all over the internet and not in the mk2 thread.

Anyway the question is pointless. You know very well that you will never be satisfied till you will get an aptx enabled phone.
You have it inside, this feeling. And if somebody will tell you "they sound perfect without aptx" you will keep asking till 2 people tell you "they sound better with aptx".
Just sell the L and buy a Z1 or 2 or 3.

But if it is bass you want, specially THAT kinf of bass in that Decaf thing, you only have 5 options:
1) Fidelio M2BT or M1BT
2) UE9000
3) Plantronics Backbeat Pro
4) B&O BeoPlay H8
5) ATH-WS99BT (this one will give you the most impactful bass and the very best overall sound, but you need to EQ the bass to make it shine. The other headphones in this list have a more boosted bass out of the box, so they sound more bassy without EQ, but are more limited in the hardware finally, so that when you EQ them they do not reach the level which the ATH can reach).

Now stop spamming and buy a new headphone and a new phone.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #200 of 461
  But the K845 do not have aptx also, so I think it will be better for the sound to buy a receiver... and will give me the ability to upgrade the receiver also. So ya, I think I will continue this way, so any recommendation for the BT receiver? (I'm thinking I will grab the QCY QY3)

you are right.
Is the cable detachable?

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #201 of 461
No, AKG still had not made them detachable, maybe a K554 version later, so I have to mod them.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #202 of 461
  No, AKG still had not made them detachable, maybe a K554 version later, so I have to mod them.

I ask that because if they had detachable cable (or if you are modding them so that they have detachable cable) then you may want to buy something like the btunes.
I only have tried one receiver for wired headphones with not detachable cable, the Avantree Clipper.
The quality of sound of the adapter is excellent, I am trying it now with my Sennheiser PX200ii and the adapter make them sound better than wired (wired they have too much bass and low mids, the adapter balances them).
It is nice, little, and with a clip.
I would suggest you to compare 2 or three receiver yourself. If you will do that, give the Clipper a try, Avantree is a really nice Company. The only one which I am aware of, together with Pendulumic, with such an high grade of passion and dedication and very good Customer Care.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #203 of 461
The Avantree Clipper looks very interesting and much more trustworthy than the other options. I will definitely grab one. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #204 of 461
  Hello,

I'm also having the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 and I usually listen to it via a non-aptx mobile phone (Xperia L) , Do you really see a huge difference between aptx and non aptx connection?

Especially the low bass? Because I dont get much power(volume) on the low frequencies as much as I get when its wired. How is the low bass when both devices are on aptx compared to wired? 

Could you please test this bass song ( Decaf - White Clouds) on an aptx device and a non aptx device and post your thoughts? 

It would really help me if someone tests this because I will buy an aptx enabled mobile if the bass power is same as wired connection. thanks..

I haven't heard the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2, but imo that's first and foremost not a question of aptX vs. non-aptX, but a question of using the inbuilt amplifier (wireless) vs. using your DAP's amplifier (wired).

Inbuilt amplifiers in wireless phones are often less powerful than those in DAPs (to keep the battery small and save weight), so that's probably what you're hearing.

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #205 of 461

I am having very serious problem understanding WHY exactly did you post this question in each single thread all over the internet and not in the mk2 thread.

Anyway the question is pointless. You know very well that you will never be satisfied till you will get an aptx enabled phone.
You have it inside, this feeling. And if somebody will tell you "they sound perfect without aptx" you will keep asking till 2 people tell you "they sound better with aptx".
Just sell the L and buy a Z1 or 2 or 3.

But if it is bass you want, specially THAT kinf of bass in that Decaf thing, you only have 5 options:
1) Fidelio M2BT or M1BT
2) UE9000
3) Plantronics Backbeat Pro
4) B&O BeoPlay H8
5) ATH-WS99BT (this one will give you the most impactful bass and the very best overall sound, but you need to EQ the bass to make it shine. The other headphones in this list have a more boosted bass out of the box, so they sound more bassy without EQ, but are more limited in the hardware finally, so that when you EQ them they do not reach the level which the ATH can reach).

Now stop spamming and buy a new headphone and a new phone.

Thanks for your reply, First of all I'm from India and I dont have so many options here like western countries, everything here is expensive or not available, I bought the Sony MK2 for 320 USD from ebay.com including import tax and everything, where as the original price is 220$ ..

Since it doesnt sound better without aptx I just want to confirm with as many people as possible before I make another wrong decision like I did with MK2. I should have spoken to you first :) So right now I need to buy an aptx mobile and see if it sounds better, if its still the same then I need to buy the Fidelio M2BT which is the only headphone selling here in my sh**ty country for 170$ out of the 5 you listed..

I dont want to pay extra hundreds of dollars to customs here for the imported products, I really like WS99BT but I hope the philips will be as good as that..But thanks for listing out the best BT headphones for me..Sorry if you felt I'm spamming..

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #206 of 461

Thanks for your reply, First of all I'm from India and I dont have so many options here like western countries, everything here is expensive or not available, I bought the Sony MK2 for 320 USD from ebay.com including import tax and everything, where as the original price is 220$ ..

Since it doesnt sound better without aptx I just want to confirm with as many people as possible before I make another wrong decision like I did with MK2. I should have spoken to you first :) So right now I need to buy an aptx mobile and see if it sounds better, if its still the same then I need to buy the Fidelio M2BT which is the only headphone selling here in my sh**ty country for 170$ out of the 5 you listed..

I dont want to pay extra hundreds of dollars to customs here for the imported products, I really like WS99BT but I hope the philips will be as good as that..But thanks for listing out the best BT headphones for me..Sorry if you felt I'm spamming..

No, you should have not written to me first, you should have written in the MK2 thread (where, as said, I see that you have written in the past, so you know it).
One single post there would get you more answer than all your posts all over the internet. Why? Because it is full of people who own the mk2.

But you probably bought the wrong headphone since the beginning.
I did not try it (it is not India, the Mk2 are not distributed in USA either, or in EU. We all must buy them at that price, and pay import taxes). But it is not famous for being a bassy headphone.
Things like those Defc stuff (which, btw, thanks, I have downloaded all 36 zip files. It is not my kind of music, too much "you ******" and that kind of low level stuff, but the bass is nice. I still prefer Dubstep though).
If you can send them back and get a refund, do it before it is too late, and buy the Fidelio and an Aptx phone. You may get both for the price you`ve paid for the MK2 alone.
But if you cannot send them back, well, if you can live with this bass, then do not buy the aptx phone before that somebody confirms if it would improve the bass or not.
But if you are determined to change headphone in case the bass cannot be improved, then, do it. Buy the phone, see by yourself what does it change, and if nothing changes buy the fidelio.

But before you do all this, did you set the MK2 in High Quality mode by pressing the Vol+ and the Power On buttions together at startup?
And, did you use the effects of your phone and the EQ of your player?
In the Xperia you have a reverb setting, called studio, room, hall, etc. Set it on Studio. Then you have the Clear Bass thing. Set it on 6. Then you have the general EQ, above the Clear Bass. If the MK2 are muddy as I think they are, you could set the 400hz on -3db, the 1000 on -2, the 2500 on -1. The 6000 and 16000 you decide.
Then, download Neutron and Poweramp and play with their EQ to get the best sound. Neutron has got a richer sound and a more powerful EQ, but also a more difficult to use.
Poweramp is better for beginners. You can boost the bass from 40 to 80hz of 6db and from 10 to 40 and from 80 to 120 of 3bd.

Cheers

Apr 29, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #207 of 461

No, you should have not written to me first, you should have written in the MK2 thread (where, as said, I see that you have written in the past, so you know it).
One single post there would get you more answer than all your posts all over the internet. Why? Because it is full of people who own the mk2.

But you probably bought the wrong headphone since the beginning.
I did not try it (it is not India, the Mk2 are not distributed in USA either, or in EU. We all must buy them at that price, and pay import taxes). But it is not famous for being a bassy headphone.
Things like those Defc stuff (which, btw, thanks, I have downloaded all 36 zip files. It is not my kind of music, too much "you ******" and that kind of low level stuff, but the bass is nice. I still prefer Dubstep though).
If you can send them back and get a refund, do it before it is too late, and buy the Fidelio and an Aptx phone. You may get both for the price you`ve paid for the MK2 alone.
But if you cannot send them back, well, if you can live with this bass, then do not buy the aptx phone before that somebody confirms if it would improve the bass or not.
But if you are determined to change headphone in case the bass cannot be improved, then, do it. Buy the phone, see by yourself what does it change, and if nothing changes buy the fidelio.

But before you do all this, did you set the MK2 in High Quality mode by pressing the Vol+ and the Power On buttions together at startup?
And, did you use the effects of your phone and the EQ of your player?
In the Xperia you have a reverb setting, called studio, room, hall, etc. Set it on Studio. Then you have the Clear Bass thing. Set it on 6. Then you have the general EQ, above the Clear Bass. If the MK2 are muddy as I think they are, you could set the 400hz on -3db, the 1000 on -2, the 2500 on -1. The 6000 and 16000 you decide.
Then, download Neutron and Poweramp and play with their EQ to get the best sound. Neutron has got a richer sound and a more powerful EQ, but also a more difficult to use.
Poweramp is better for beginners. You can boost the bass from 40 to 80hz of 6db and from 10 to 40 and from 80 to 120 of 3bd.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, Yes I initially decided without much investigation to go for Sony MK2 on few google searches like "best bluetooth headphones" etc..What I meant is I should have posted in this bluetooth forum on my specification, MK2 is clearly not for me, I mentioned Decaf just for reference. 

Anyways past is past and I cant get a refund on them as its too late,I have decided to give it as a gift to my uncle..

I have tweaked it with every possible way like Viper4Android(plenty of features), neutron, poweramp, Sony walkman app equalizers, The sound clarity and comfort is good but no bass, not low enough..Im planning between WS99BT and M2BT, I wrote a PM when I got this post, please check it..thanks.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #208 of 461
Are BT receivers essentially wireless amps or wireless DAC/amps? 

If they are wireless DAC/amps does it mean that the phone/transmitter is just a transport and doesnt matter if they sound good or bad originally as long as the BT connection is good like aptX and the BT receivers have good hardware?

I think I have this discussion (somewhat) with James before. My thought is that the majority of the 'evil' in BT isn't inherently SBC (or any lossy codec for that matter), but more on poor implementation by various manufacturers. A lot of the older BT devices sound bad because either they uses low bitrate SBC (many are just 128kbps, 96kbps or even lower), having poor earpiece or poor amp section after the DAC (and sometime they didn't even have a dedicated amp section). Some of the newer BT headset still suffer from these problem because traditionally no one really care that much about the SQ over BT. Samsung, for example, pairs their good sounding HS3000 (with apt-X) with one of the worst sounding earpiece they have (EHS44). If they would have bother to use EHS64 instead, they would have a winning combo there. If I were in charge, I would have fire the guy who made the decision on HS3000+EHS44.

So the situation can get a bit more complex than saying "apt-X > SBC". In theory it is. but in reality it depends also on the hardware as well. An apt-X supported headset with poor hardware will still sound poor compared to a high bitrate SBC supported headset with good hardware. Manufacturer just need to learn to take BT more seriously, instead of trying to use 'apt-X' more like a marketing tool vs. a real solution. Also don't forget that BT has a 'high speed' mode since v3 that can steam data using WiFi layer so bandwidth might not be a limitation in the future (though currently hardware isn't there yet to utilize high speed mode). Who to say we won't have BT lossless in a couple of years if there is a demand for it? Well, it isn't impossible for sure.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #209 of 461
  Are BT receivers essentially wireless amps or wireless DAC/amps? 
  If they are wireless DAC/amps does it mean that the phone/transmitter is just a transport and doesnt matter if they sound good or bad originally as long as the BT connection is good like aptX and the BT receivers have good hardware?

Some BT receivers have analog line outs, optical or coax SPDIF or any combination of the three but lack an amp. These are for connecting to external amps/stereos. I have one with apt-x that I connect to a headphone amp. Most of the small ones that have an integrated headphone amp that I tried were dissapointing as the amp was too weak for my headphones.
But yes such devices just as a BT headphone would require an internal DAC and Amp if it is to drive a headphone.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #210 of 461
Oops my bad
I meant specifically:

Are BT headsets with 3.5mm Headphone-Out essentially wireless amps or wireless DAC/amps? 

Examples of the BT headsets:

Elecom PAR500 - highly recommended (with reservation)

Elecom PAR400 - recommended (with reservation)

Samsung HS3000 - recommended

​
 ​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back