What amps are people using with their GS1000s?
Oct 2, 2006 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Just curious what people are using. Also interested in a SS v. tube breakdown. Any amp you tried and would not recommend?

Oct 2, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 26
I use a Singlepower Supra with a 7n7 driving two 6BX7s. The GS-1000s sounds particularly well balanced in this configuration. Although, when I had a Lavry DA10 for a trial, I found the headphone out was pretty good with the GS-1000s too. Yet, I didn't spend a lot of time listening to it this way.

I haven't listened to the GS-1000s with a dedicated SS headphone amp. I am a tube guy. Tubes just seem to make the music sound more real, and with the cheaper tubes you can use in the Singlepower line (via adapters) tube costs are really not that much of an issue.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 26
I am in process of figuring out which Singlepower and which updates would go best with Grados. So please elaborate.

I am using Sugden Headmaster at the moment with GS1000, and the combination presents the music very well. It is easy to listen to and detail builds up to a nice musical protrait, regardless of the music played.

I just recently heard SP MPX3 also, and it provided quite impressive coherence and beautiful soundstage in addtion to the pure musical flow. That was only one evening's listening, so I can't be very precise about what I heard.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #4 of 26
Although I have a Supra with dual power regulation (two Solen III caps), paper in oil coupling caps, silver wire, goldpoint attenuator, 12v capacity, etc., I think a MPX3 Slam would be excellent.

I really liked my MPX3 and moving up to the Supra wasn't significant, although noticeable.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 26
I'm also curious.

What amps are you guys using?

Oct 4, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 26
Graham Slee Solo and Earmax AE
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 26
I'm still waiting on my amp, so I can't use the GS1000's yet! Urgh! They've got balanced Moon Audio Black Dragon cables on them, and I don't have any balanced amps. I'm hoping my Singlepower SDS-XLR will ship soon!

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 26
I'm using a Headroom MicroAmp w/ Desktop module, but I don't think this amp is high enough up the food chain to allow the GS1000's to show their full potential. Don't get me wrong; it sounds good, but I get the definite sense that these phones have potential I'm not capable of tapping with my gear.

I've spent waaay to much money on music stuff this year, but I'll probably upgrade to a better desktop amp next year. I'll be watching this topic with interest.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghiberti
Graham Slee Solo and Earmax AE
cool.gif

I haven't heard the GS1000 with either of the above, but I heard both amps with the rest of the Grado lineup and I give the thumbs up!

That said, the magical moment for a bunch of us was with the GS1000 prototype at the NYC National Meet blasting ghetto bass tunes through the Tower of Power - Ah, Melos SHA-Gold with Mullard 6DJ8s just did right by woody grados! Even when we put flat pads on it (BAAAASSSS!) it was a fun run (not very audiophilish, tho
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 4, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 26
"I am in process of figuring out which Singlepower and which updates would go best with Grados. So please elaborate."

Any of the SinglePower amps that make use of the 5687, 6bl7 or 6bx7 output tubes would be your best bet. I would recommend particularly amps that use the 6bl7/6bx7 output tubes. The reason for this is that these tube put out the most current, which is what the Grados crave.

- augustwest

Oct 4, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 26
I get a pretty good sound when I use the GS-1k with my Zhaolu (stock CS DAC, discrete amp). Not quite as good as my PS Audio GCHA, but FUN!

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"I am in process of figuring out which Singlepower and which updates would go best with Grados. So please elaborate."

Any of the SinglePower amps that make use of the 5687, 6bl7 or 6bx7 output tubes would be your best bet. I would recommend particularly amps that use the 6bl7/6bx7 output tubes. The reason for this is that these tube put out the most current, which is what the Grados crave.

- augustwest

nicely put, thanks.

I have been using the following with great success..
EarMax modded originally for PS-1s..
Rotel RC990BX Pre-Amp (VERY surprised at how well the synergy is through just this Pre-Amp and no dedicated HP out..the source I use with this amp is the Mlevinson No39se and my modded RCD971)
Marantz SS 2230 Vintage Receiver (this amp gives the warmest tube sounding SS presentation with the transients and secondary instrumentation/vocals in more detail, and clearer than the RA-1)
Magnavox Vintage Receiver (as someone else briefly touched on this, the older Mag receivers have some great power for the first watt of output, and a very VERY nice open yet warm signature, full of detail, but can only monitor 8-track, R2R, and FM from this receiver because it is very old and seems to lack inputs from any other source etc)

I have been so taken back by the Rotel synergy on the BDGS1's that I have considered several times to sell my beloved MLno39 transport..as the Rotel combo seems to be quite a winner for my ears and these phones..hope this helps.Great thread and reference for GS owners indeed

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 26
I have been using the Corda HA-2 MKII and Earmax Pro (2x EH6922GP and 1x EH12AT7GP) with GS1000 with great success. But I much prefer the Corda with GS1000 in my setup.
biggrin.gif

I have a PS Audio GCHA on the way, we will see
gs1000.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 26
For what it is worth as I didn't get along well with this can anyway.
GCHA; Mapletree EAR++III; Xcan V3 and an EAR HP4. The first three were fed by a MF Xray V3 and the EAR HP4 by an Esoteric DV50S. For the money the GCHA was not a bad match, I still suffered with some sibilance but the rest of the spectrum was good. Surprisingly the GS1000 bombed badly with the Mapletree, I really enjoyed this amp with both the RS1 and SR225 and expected this amps' well reported Grado synergy to extend to the GS1000, sadly not the case at all. Nothing worked in this rig, bass was all over the place every high prefixed with a sssshhh.
The EAR HP4 did the best job of taming the splashy highs that plagued my pair but somehow failed to bring this can to life for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back